Soups and stews please

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
I pre-soak the night before Lentils, Yellow Split Peas, Green Split Peas. In the morning put all these pulses in a pan, bring to boil and simmer for 20minutes. Then they go into the Crock Pot, all my vegetables are pre-steamed for 10 - 15 minutes and all go in the crockpot. Followed by a pint of Vegetable stock, tomato puree, mixed herbs and left to cook slowly.
Vegetables used: Butternut Squish, Carrots, Turnip, Celery, Onions, Potatoes, Leeks or whatever Veg I have in at the time.

A

asparagusp

My ingredients are similar but apart from soaking the beans, I put the whole lot into the pan in one fell swoop. My soup is great!

Reactions: Prem51

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This my first time on this forum and I sure like your soup thread I just love making soups
Here is one for you it will keep you warm in the cold weather
Get your self a good size leak wash it and then put through the blender 2 or 3 potatoes you can put them
through the blender as well get a good sized pot half fill add veg stock cube good size carrot and onion
Chopped up small also a couple of cloves of garlic and now my favourite bit cooking bacon all fat taken
of and cut into nice sized pieces all added to the pot bring to the boil and then and then let simmer
In your last half hour add double cream I don't think you will need salt but you can add pepper
Enjoy
Nice idea. I don't eat potatoes though as they have too many carbs for me. Lentils seems to be OK though.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's that time of year - slow cooker is out as is my pressure cooker.
Just got my first carrier bag of beef bones from the butcher (£.50 a bag) so today is making beef broth day to freeze in ice cube trays.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I use the potatoes to help thicken the soup.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nutritional Composition of Jersey Royal New Potatoes (per 100g)

• Energy kcal/kJ 66/281
  • Protein 1.4g
  • Fat: 0.3g
    • Saturated (0.1g)
    • Monounsaturated (Trace)
    • Polyunsaturated (0.1g)
  • Carbohydrate: 15.4g
    • Starch (14.4g)
    • Sugars (1.0g)
  • Dietary Fibre 1.5g
  • Sodium 10mg
  • Vitamin C 15mg
(In Skins, Boiled In Unsalted Water)

http://www.jerseyroyals.co.uk/about-jersey-royals/health-benefits.aspx
thanks asparagusp but I have cut my carbs down to less than 15g total each day. I might have one roast potato on christmas day but it is not guaranteed lol.

AnnJohnston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I made French onion soup tonight. 3 onions chopped and cooked over a low-med heat for 40-45 mins until starting to brown then add 3 cloves of garlic and beef stock. Season and serve. I had sourdough croutons but these are optional.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I made French onion soup tonight. 3 onions chopped and cooked over a low-med heat for 40-45 mins until starting to brown then add 3 cloves of garlic and beef stock. Season and serve. I had sourdough croutons but these are optional.

That sounds Yummy - will make that tomorrow. Thanks :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Chicken wing and veggie curry in a slow cooker.

10 wings cut in half.
6 low carb spuds (Spud Lite).
2kg's mixed vegies.
2 tins diced tomatoes.
2 - 3 onions
Salt to taste.
1 full container of Clive of India curry powder.
Dash of Nando's extra hot peri peri sauce. (optional).

Set the slow cooker on Auto and go out for the day.

xatbOVf.jpg

TinyCat33

Chicken wing and veggie curry in a slow cooker.

Oh, you cook in the slow cooker! Which one do you have?
I wanna make a present to my mom and buy her Slow cooker / Multicooker for Christmas. I still haven't decided what I want. But I'm not sure, is it so important to have all the function: bread, soap, pasta, yogurt. Maybe you have some suggestions?

6.jpg

D

Deleted member 308541

Oh, you cook in the slow cooker! Which one do you have?
Just a cheapo Home Collection brand from the local supermarket, it was about $50.00 when we got it.

It is nothing flash but it does the job with the three settings Auto, High, Low which is all it needs. We have cooked a quite a lot of different stuff in it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very quick, very easy, very low carb soup I make does me two lunches - fake pea and ham

I can't handle pulses so make this and really tastes like pea and ham it's amazing
1 head of celery chopped leaves and all add water till just covered boil until celery is soft add a stock cube ham if you can but I have also used chicken it makes no difference.

Blend until smooth add a spoonful of creme fraiche - my preference as I don't like cream much and the acidity of the creme fraiche complements the soup better - just before eating add some smoked shredded ham (must be smoked this is what changes it from celery to peas! ) a great thick satisfying soup that's very low carb so if you do take a few more carbs you can have some croutons on top or a famous Lidl roll to dip in

1 portion is 7g carb approximately

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also do a variation on this spicy fish stew:

recipe-image-legacy-id--1202599_11.jpg

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3978/spicy-fish-stew

I add in a pointed red pepper or two, sliced into strips and a large onion, strips rather than small p[ieces, both to bulk it up. I also add in coriander and chillie flakes. I tend to use fish pie mix rather than just white fish. If you can eat a few carbs, two small new potatoes cut into small chunks can be added.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Love a fish stew - gonna have to have one now! - well not right now this week sometime

Reactions: Yorksman

benford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
DOCTORS
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................sound very nice :)

We are having a beef stew and dumplings for Sunday lunch, with plenty of garlic added :D
Beef stew and dumplings my absolute favourite,I make a load and freeze all the stew minus the meat and drag it out of the freezer in batches chuck more meat and veg and it seems to taste better.I don't suppose it is the greatest diet food but I was brought up on this type of food in the fifties especially in the winter,you just can't beat it.

Reactions: mo53

Rosiegough_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Evil beings. Destroying our beautiful Planet X
thanks asparagusp but I have cut my carbs down to less than 15g total each day. I might have one roast potato on christmas day but it is not guaranteed lol.
Gosh I'd love to know what you eat