Stress sickness and sugar levels

Deanuz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On Friday I was the victim of an unprovoked assault since then I've been pretty stressed and I also have a cold but this weekend no matter how many correctional doses I take my sugar levels seem to still peak very high also producing ketones could My sickness or stress be impacting these? And any advice to help get it back under control

type 1 diabetic on lantus and novorapid

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh really sorry to hear that and I hope you are ok. Yes I find stress has an impact on sugar levels. What are your numbers like

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear about your assault , hope your ok.

Yes both the assault and cold will raise your BG, try to drink lots of fluids to flush the ketones and keep taking the correction doses, also contact your team to review your readings with them, hopefully in a few days you should start to come down again.

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
See if you can get this solved today - call you team and see if you can discuss making an adjustment to bring it back down ? Hope you're feeling better ;)

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Currently they are 21 but have been pretty much above 10 since Friday
Hope you get sorted quickly. I am sure your team will help.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At that point i would change to a new phial on the grounds that your corrections are not working, especially if i had been running higher basal/bolus for illness.
Good luck

Cathn61may

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
people who think they know it all
Did you see a Medical professional after the assault. You really should have Type 1 is a pain when your body is in a stressed condition and with you being well. I would seek medical advice because if you increase your insulin too much you could drop and then have a hypo. You could increase slightly. But if you were me I'd seek medical advice. I have had Type 1 for 49 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

suenjames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am having the same problem had tonsillitus now i have scarlett fever my levels have been highest 29.7 to around 17 i am taking extra medication as instructed by my diabetic nurse but its not coming down.