Type 1's - I need your thoughts!

gab_07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I've had type 1 for nearly 9 years now, and I'm coming up 21 years old :)

I am currently in my final year at University in Nottingham, studying Graphic Design. It's coming up to the point where I embark on my final project of uni, ever! We are allowed to write our own briefs/projects to complete, and I thought what better subject to do mine on than diabetes!

Since it's such a huge topic, I need as much input as I can from you guys to narrow it down. Is there anything you wish you could have to do with your diabetes that isn't available? A campaign, a resource, raised awareness? Do you want more people to understand the differences between type 1 and 2? Do you wish there was more/a different form of support? Is there anything you wish existed when you were diagnosed? Carb count help? Complications help? etc etc.

Basically I just need a problem to answer and invent/design something for. In my work I'm incredibly motivated by helping people and doing things for good :)

I appreciate any feedback, thoughts and suggestions no matter how crazy they are, the more the better. and you never know, I could succeed and whatever I produce could end up being a real thing.

Thanks so much guys,

Gabrielle xxx

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it would be interesting to somehow graph/compare all available data about the various treatment approaches and somehow correlate it to a1c levels.

Obviously, that would be an incredible complicated thing to do, but companies like Medtronic and IBM are starting to work on it.

To elaborate about what I'm suggesting, it would be cool to somehow compare things like:
insulin regimen (mdi or pump)
frequency of testing (5x per day, 10x per day,etc)
diet (low carb, high carb, vegan, etc)
exercise

Obviously, we know that some of them are very effective, but it would be cool to have a database that somehow quantifies how effective they are. For example: people who test more than 5 times day are 200% more likely to have an a1c below 7.0% than someone who tests less than 1 time each day....obviously that's a made-up figure, but hopefully you get my point.

Some of those statistics already exist, but there seems to be a particular lack of information around diet. I'm a big fan of providing people with options and allowing them to decide for themselves which is best. It would be very interesting to see how strong the correlation is between number of carbs consumed each day and a1c levels.

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I wish people understood the difference between type 1 & type 2 more, I was annoyed on Sunday that the daily mail had a pull out about diet & diabetes which could be extremely misleading to some people,
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1458674289.806792.jpg

So that diet will just fix my completely dead type 1 Pancreas yeah? Grr
It probably annoyed me more than usual as I'm pregnant & hormonal lol

Just to derail slightly, I read your post from yesterday and meant to comment on it, hope you are doing ok? I had a look at your profile & noticed you're from Middlesbrough? I'm a Stockton girl :)

Reactions: 4 people

Norfnife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What would be even more interesting is to somehow track the differences each person has in their individual treatment - I have had massive arguments with my doctor as they keep insisting that NovoRapid is the best and fastest reacting insulin, and yet it takes hours to work for me....... As a result, I have suffered huge complications.

Another interesting topic would be if you were prepared to go 'international'. I live in Sweden and have NO support whatsoever, despite my advanced diabetic complications. In Sweden, they think that as a type 1 diabetic, I have no additional expenses - ha! However, my complications include advanced diabetic retinopathy, and yet they want me to travel more than 250km on the bus, on my own, in the dark, to get to and from the eye clinic, a journey which by public transport would take me four or five days.....!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin 's idea of using graphics to give some meaning to the statistics is really clever. It made me think of a slightly more depressing slant in it. I would like to better understand how better control impacts on my risk of complications - there are lots of DCCT graphs on this, but I struggle to grasp them. I'm no good with numbers (I'm a bit like a cave man, any thing more than three just becomes many!).

I would like to see something that shows the risk of complications faced by a non-diabetic as compared with a diabetic with a HbA1C of 45, 55, 65 etc. To, hopefully, give some tangibility to the benefits of improved control.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Definitely more awareness, ie if having a hypo, do not give Insulin, because even some of the medical profession only seem to know of type 2. I know JDRF are trying to get type 1 out there more.
A non evasive finger pricking device/sensor/gadget, my fingers are getting a bit on the tender side.
Lastly, a cure or a more non evasive way of giving Insulin, but safely and effectively, would be good :)
Good luck, I wish you all the best with the uni project :)
ps I also don't like the 'shock headlines' in the newspapers, in great big capital letters on the front page and then on the inside............................ it then mentions it's type 2 ( and I'm not hormonal ;))
Great suggestions so far.

Reactions: 4 people

gab_07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All amazing responses thank you so much I appreciate it! And as for myself, I've had an omnipod pump for 2 weeks now, just getting used to it, had high bg's but slightly better today. My current hba1c (taken pre-pump) is 8.3%- disappointing as I'm used to 6's and 7's, but hopefully the pump will make it better

Reactions: 5 people

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
wish i could get a pump. I have asked for one but am told i do not meet the criteria. I have been type 1 for 50yrs. Had severe laser treatment in both eyes. severe frozen shoulders so I cannot access some injection sites. Bad lumpy injection sites. Depressed.They changed my insulin but not much good.
So how about comparing the availability of treatments between districts within the NHS..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there anything you wish existed when you were diagnosed?

A cure.

I was diagnosed before bg meters became widely available so that would be one, plus I also wish that the faster-acting insulin we have today were around back then and also the worldwide web.

For the here and now, wish that CGM were more widely available but appreciate the cost involved and the restraints of the NHS.

Good luck with your project and hope you pass your exams @gab_07

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Assumption: you get diabetes if overweight, eat too much sugary food, have a family history.
Fact: Not overweight, didn't have a sweet tooth or family history.
Type1: Children and young people.
Now age 67 with Type1 for a month now I am perplexed - maybe I was too young at heart Doc?
No, you were quite active and eat well - maybe a virus?

Is there any evidence for cause of Diabetes?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Some great suggestions already given.

However I would like a diabetes buddy app for kids to help them manage and particularly at school, so the app would give them reminders, help them track their bg and act as a diary/guide for their management, but all in children friendly format.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@mahola i was lucky being diagnosed at a ripe old age, it's children I wish I could help more, anything that helps them self manage and prepare themselves for their life ahead has to be worth investing in.

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@TorqPenderloin 's idea of using graphics to give some meaning to the statistics is really clever. It made me think of a slightly more depressing slant in it. I would like to better understand how better control impacts on my risk of complications - there are lots of DCCT graphs on this, but I struggle to grasp them. I'm no good with numbers (I'm a bit like a cave man, any thing more than three just becomes many!).

I would like to see something that shows the risk of complications faced by a non-diabetic as compared with a diabetic with a HbA1C of 45, 55, 65 etc. To, hopefully, give some tangibility to the benefits of improved control.
You need to search online for medical reports, most of the data exists extensively in statistics highlighting complications, mortality, morbidity and compares to that of the general population.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
like your comment pseudo bob.
I have just oredered the Libre system though i hate to part with the money as I am not on a high wage. Seems wrong to me that I have always worked and paid into the nhs and now I am having trouble I am paying for this system. To continue using it I guess I will have to work more hours. Will see if it is any good for me.
Yes it would be good if the nhs paid for the sensors as after all hopefully I will be using less strips. NICE should consider this.
In 50 years the only real advance for me has been blood test equipment. So what is the point in developing anything new, as unless you have plenty of money forget it

Last edited by a moderator:

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to search online for medical reports, most of the data exists extensively in statistics highlighting complications, mortality, morbidity and compares to that of the general population.

Thank you, I'm aware the data exists :) , as I said, there are lots of DCCT graphs on it & I have poured over those! I guess people's minds work in different ways - some people respond really well to numbers and it's the numbers that give the message the meaning and the impact. Some people respond better to visual representations and, as the OP was asking for ideas for a graphic design project, I wondered whether a smart way of graphically representing the comparative risks would help give meaning to the numbers for those who think visually.

For me personally, I don't think either numerically or visually, so if someone could write it all out for me in beautiful, pithy prose, that would be very helpful :)

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, I'm aware the data exists :) , as I said, there are lots of DCCT graphs on it & I have poured over those! I guess people's minds work in different ways - some people respond really well to numbers and it's the numbers that give the message the meaning and the impact. Some people respond better to visual representations and, as the OP was asking for ideas for a graphic design project, I wondered whether a smart way of graphically representing the comparative risks would help give meaning to the numbers for those who think visually.

For me personally, I don't think either numerically or visually, so if someone could write it all out for me in beautiful, pithy prose, that would be very helpful :)
Well everything is written up in the reports which for me is the best way to gain an understanding.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@catapillar I think this graph is a good visual representation:

slide_8.jpg

Relative risk is the risk compared to a normal person getting the listed complications, so at hba1c of 6 you have (apparently) the same level of risk of all complications as a non-diabetic.

Now what I'd really like to see is something visual that shows glycaemic variability versus relative risk of complications.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now what I'd really like to see is something visual that shows glycaemic variability versus relative risk of complications.

Is there enough to data on that yet? I would of thought it's only fairly recently that greater numbers have been able to accurately record the variability (anything before cgm/libre would be just a best guess, rather than the actual variation, wouldn't it?) so we can't see the long term risk impact yet. I'm sure there have been good, reasoned guesses (I mean sensible science based theories, I don't mean to dismiss it with "guess"!) but not on the same solidity of data that DCCT draws from.

petepontiac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who criticise what they cant understand
Sometimes feel alone and confused, but this forum has been invaluable. Thanks to everyone for your posts and information.