muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Good stuff and Happy Easter to you too in Canberra
Thanks Sean. I really appreciate your thoughts on strength exercises and i am adding them in from this week on alternative days.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
Morning all, Sunday is my weigh in day. I had a horrible cold last week and consequently had no appetite so I've lost 3 lbs! Total weight loss 8 lbs since Christmas. My weight at the moment is 11 st 10 and my target is 11 stone although I would be happy with 11 st 7

Reactions: 6 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Morning all, Sunday is my weigh in day. I had a horrible cold last week and consequently had no appetite so I've lost 3 lbs! Total weight loss 8 lbs since Christmas. My weight at the moment is 11 st 10 and my target is 11 stone although I would be happy with 11 st 7
Hope you are over that cold.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kyi - I hear you, honestly, I do. You have the same concerns as everybody else, but here are a few observations:
1 Muscle can not physically turn to fat. Muscle is Nitrogen based. It's made from protein which is made from amio acids - Nitrogen based organic chemicals. Fat is carbon based. If you were to turn Nitrogen into Carbon you would have succeeded where alchemists have failed for hundreds of years (turning one element into another - specifically lead into gold. It just can't happen.
2 Imagine you are a car. Your muscles are the engine. These are the things that help you move and whilst you move they help everything else to function a bit better..The fat is spare luggage - most of which you don't need. It is just stuff you have accumulated and serves no purpose. Once upon a time, it might have been stuff that gave you comfort but it has little use and value now. In fact the only things it does are these:
The engine has to work harder to get from A to B and is therefore less efficient
The spare luggage (excess weight) is just carried around with you.

3 If you exercise, it's a bit like improving the efficiency of the engine. It works better. You could get a bigger engine to cart all that spare luggage around but that would simply use more fuel and that's a waste.

Getting rid of some of the luggage will help make the engine work better - that is what you are doing, but imagine, going a bit faster with the windows open and that spare luggage sitting in the back seat and occasionally an old piece of clothing gets caught by the wind and flutters out of the window just because you are exercising and moving a bit faster.
People think going to the gym will make them grow muscles. In my hay day, I trained til I puked, 4-6 times a week and I dount I added more than 6-10 pounds in any one year.

Nobody is saying you should train until you puke. You are extremely unlikely to build noticeable muscle mass by doing a little light exercise like walking or cycling 5 or so days a week. You might tone up a bit but that's because engines don't wobble about as much as loose luggage.( Nearly 40 years experience in weight lifting, body building and strength training plus a degree in human biology. As for how I ended up here - I'm surprised there are not more ex strength athletes who are diabetic.
I hear what you are saying but Ive done it all before. Ive been training in the gym for an hour a day, I know I get bored and stop. I prefer riding my bike outside but the winter is not the best time for me to do this. I used to go swimming but then they closed the pool down. I do not find exercise to be pleasurable and therefore choose not to do it. Some people like the buzz it gives them. I just do not see the point of wasting time when I know its something I will never like and will stop doing.

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sean01

I hear what you are saying but Ive done it all before. Ive been training in the gym for an hour a day, I know I get bored and stop. I prefer riding my bike outside but the winter is not the best time for me to do this. I used to go swimming but then they closed the pool down. I do not find exercise to be pleasurable and therefore choose not to do it. Some people like the buzz it gives them. I just do not see the point of wasting time when I know its something I will never like and will stop doing.
Oh No!. I totally get the not wanting to ride a bike in the winter - it's horrible and swimming pools are shutting down all the time. Gym work can be boring - I usually have to have a break every 4-6 weeks to keep from getting burned out. It happens to me sometimes. You just get to the gym, get started and then something comes into your head and you say 'what am I doing here' and I have to leave. I get around this with my treadmill at home and a selection of DVDs which oddly enough all have walking or journeys as their theme - Spartacus, Gladiator, Game of Thrones, Centurion, anything with vikings. Very odd. I started watching comedies, but nothing beats a good old sword and sandals film with lots of walking for company. (My longest walk to date 7hrs 24 mins!!)

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I haven't posted for a couple of weeks on this thread well not since making a bit of an ass of my self still less said soonest mended.

When I posted firstly I had said I was loosing weight most days wife saw that and raised concerns that maybe loss was a bit out of control and that something could be wrong. So I ended up having to demonstrate that this was not so and put some weight back on just to show that I could, must admit was starting to wonder myself. Have now taken that weight back off and a bit more.

So my weight is now 13st 5lb, when last posted weight it was 13st 8lb so thats overall loss since then of 3lb

Going to take it a bit easier from now on.

John

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well to be honest I have not been that analytical I have kept a strict control of carbs reducing them a lot but not what you may strictly call a low carb diet but always if possible below 80 gms and have adjusted weight loss by calorific control via protein and fats but basically I allow my self around 100 odd cals in the morning 200 mid day and between 300 to 400 for the evening meal. Bread I hardly touch I do have some rice and pasta but small amounts and not often, potato I can handle in small amounts again not frequently. As long as its not high in carbs I can eat just about any thing I want as long as the calorific content is not above my allowance.

I've been doing this for over six months now and it seems to work for me. My FBG is normally in the fours or fives now. I've gone off the rails here and there but my highest BG in the last few weeks was 8.8 sorry I lie it was 10.1, 3 weeks ago but have been getting on average 6.5 and on days in the fives during the day.. I'm reasonably happy with that. When I consider nearly a year ago I was 18 odd stone the steroids had played merry hell with my weight.

I know that may not properly answer your question but at the moment without some more consideration and analysis on my part its the best one I can give I'm not really that organised.:)

Edit to add since wife and daughter have started eating basicaly as I do but less strictly they are both loosing weight as well not a bad thing that either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
700 calories per day for 6 months is not an awful lot. The 800 calories per day diet is for only 8 weeks and then you have to increase the calories. Are you sure you are eating enough foods?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does a Wednesday Weigh In at the surgery count? I went for my medication and diabetes review this morning, and was weighed full clothed (obviously!!) and with my fairly heavy winter shoes on - and surprising I weighed exactly the same as I do completely unclothed and unshod on my one weight only scales at home. I've now come to the conclusion that I have some weird unknown to science attribute which ensures that whatever scales I stand on will only ever point to 95kg. I'd be a bit happier though if they would all just permanently show that number reversed.:D

Robbity

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
700 calories per day for 6 months is not an awful lot. The 800 calories per day diet is for only 8 weeks and then you have to increase the calories. Are you sure you are eating enough foods?

I know it sounds drastic but I don't seem to have suffered any ill effects from it I vary the foods I eat and as I am not as active as some I have to keep the calories pretty tightly controlled in order to lose the weight I have lost about 5 stone (70lb) in the six months I've been doing it. I must admit there have been times it has been quite difficult and I have eaten a little more than I should but have got back on track quite quickly. I actually lost weight over Christmas though my son who came to stay over Christmas was a little shocked to see the amount I was eating he had to admit I look and seem far better for it. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think people eat far more calories/ food in general than they need. I do quite well on under 1000 cals a day. The more I eat the hungrier I get. Not a good sign.

Great job John! How's your daughter doing?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Kristin251 Thanks Kristin yes I think your right we don't really need much of what we eat and after a while it's just become the norm for me.

As for Melody she did have a HbA1c test done then she phoned the doctors and was told by the receptionist that her tests where normal so since then she has let it go. And until today would not test though she is to a degree following my diet as far as carbs are concerned. her BG was 7.9 mmol/l two hours after eating tonight a little high I think. If she is averaging that sort of level I still think there is cause for concern.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi john. I think the higher quality the food the better as well. In general I think people eat way too much food. It seems the more food we eat the sicker we get.

As foe Melody, I hate to sound negative but if it were my daughter I would be concerned too. For me personally anything over 120 is too high on a regular basis. The fasting and A1C aren't great indicators. As you know it's the post meal spikes that matter most. I know loads will disagree that her numbers are fine bit IMO they are a little high. I hope with your guidance she will take it seriously. There are so many great tasting foods that don't spike us, it's just a matter of changing our thoughts, patterns and taste buds.

Best wishes John

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not great today, only lost 0.5 lbs since last week, so basically no loss. However, i did go to the practice nurse this week for an HBA1C (results next Tueday) and she weighed me, I've lost 1 stone and 4 lbs since she last weighed me (I'd already lost a few lbs before she first weighed me) so she wss pleased with me. My BMI is now 25.9 so nearly "healthy"and my blood pressure has improved.

Hopefully I'll lose some more in the next week.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Last week 12st 0lbs this week 12st 5lb gain of 5lbs

Edit to add after a re-weight 12st 4lb although its a gain it's ok, as I started weight training last month and I've put on some muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not great today, only lost 0.5 lbs since last week, so basically no loss. However, i did go to the practice nurse this week for an HBA1C (results next Tueday) and she weighed me, I've lost 1 stone and 4 lbs since she last weighed me (I'd already lost a few lbs before she first weighed me) so she wss pleased with me. My BMI is now 25.9 so nearly "healthy"and my blood pressure has improved.

Hopefully I'll lose some more in the next week.
Great BMI and take the .5lb it is a loss