X-pert course updated to include LCHF

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's cool, cow or horse I'm not that bothered tbh as long as I like the taste and it's low carb. :)
Me, I'll eat anything, I have no illusions, cheap meat is the bits others won't eat.
And I've eaten stuff locals are still alive on.
Sausages are lips and a**eholes, and I don't really care which lips and a**eholes they are.
Probably a mix of the bit's that didn't make it as far as the dog food.
(unless it was a bad day, then that skip is seeing the bleach as well!)

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bobby59

I have read the thread with interest and thought I would chip in.

The photo of me is old now, I have lost another 10kg since then, following a LCHF lifestyle for the past 15 months.

In total I have lost 32kgs, 10 inches off my waist, and dropped from 16.1 at diagnosis to 5.1 on my last HB1AC.

Diet and exercise has been the way I have achieved this.
Not once have I felt hungry.
I have more energy than ever before, and my body now uses fat as a fuel.
I eat more vegetables than before and know how each food type will affect me having tested myself with different foods and gathered the information, working out what I can eat and tolerate (without spiking)

I used to need carbs / gels / energy drink to ride 20 miles and would cramp up on occasion also.

I now ride 30+ miles fasted (and then head home for a cooked breakfast) with a fluid intake of 500mls water or less.

I am no longer dependent on carbs for energy but do carry a gel and energy bar just in case.

The advice I was given was to follow the NICE guidelines and the Eatwell plate.
I spoke to the nurse about this advice and she agreed (off the record) that the route I was following was more sensible than the advice she was obliged to provide.

The evidence was clear. Each checkup I was losing weight, had more energy and the results were constantly improving.

My cholesterol also dropped and everything is now within normal range.

If I hadn't followed the LCHF guidelines on this forum and from independent research I'd probably be in a very dark place.

Based on my research I set myself a target of 55g carbs per day and set my intake as 15% carbs, 30% protein and 55% fat.

For me this works, and I no longer think about how to achieve this, my body guides me to this.
If I eat more than100g carbs I feel it (lethargy, stiffness etc) so I have found a ratio that works for me.

My advice is to do lots of research, challenge convention and come to your own conclusions.

What works for me will not work for everyone.

The best advice I can give is to eat to your body - that means if you crave a chocolate croissant then have one

I hope this helps give context in a scary amount of information floating about on the internet.

Reactions: 7 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bobby59

The photo of me is old now, I have lost another 10kg since then, following a LCHF lifestyle for the past 15 months.

In total I have lost 32kgs, 10 inches off my waist, and dropped from 16.1 at diagnosis to 5.1 on my last HB1AC.

I eat more vegetables than before and know how each food type will affect me having tested myself with different foods and gathered the information, working out what I can eat and tolerate (without spiking)

I used to need carbs / gels / energy drink to ride 20 miles and would cramp up on occasion also.

I now ride 30+ miles fasted (and then head home for a cooked breakfast) with a fluid intake of 500mls water or less.

I am no longer dependent on carbs for energy but do carry a gel and energy bar just in case.

I spoke to the nurse about this advice and she agreed (off the record) that the route I was following was more sensible than the advice she was obliged to provide.

The evidence was clear. Each checkup I was losing weight, had more energy and the results were constantly improving.

If I hadn't followed the LCHF guidelines on this forum and from independent research I'd probably be in a very dark place.

Based on my research I set myself a target of 55g carbs per day and set my intake as 15% carbs, 30% protein and 55% fat.

For me this works, and I no longer think about how to achieve this, my body guides me to this.
If I eat more than100g carbs I feel it (lethargy, stiffness etc) so I have found a ratio that works for me.

My advice is to do lots of research, challenge convention and come to your own conclusions.

The best advice I can give is to eat to your body - that means if you crave a chocolate croissant then have one

I hope this helps give context in a scary amount of information floating about on the internet.
30+ miles on such a low amount of fluids (500ml) is a lot less than I could do. And to be fair, that would probably be my day.
But before breakfast - then I would assume a days work? - respect!

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In warmer weather the fluid intake is increased.
I put this purely down to fitness and 'fat' burning instead of sugar reliance.

I usually have a protein shake when I get home (water not milk) and a cooked breakfast (bacon and eggs) then am ready for anything.

With a calorie deficit of about 1000-1200 its a great way to start my day, particularly if I know I am going out for lunch or dinner.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
30+ miles, say 15ph, is still a good two hours +.
If it's your daily routine, then having a shower, a protein shake, and a cooked breakfast, I'd be pushed to get that all in by lunch, let alone manage to get out for my morning work with the morning still ahead, and feel hungry again.
No, that's really impressive.

Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg
Yes I eat sausages and I read the label on the pack so I know they are low carb.

The basic dona kebab is lamb meat. I think the point was you do not know what is in dona kebab, meat wise, the same goes for sausages. Especially off the shelf bought pri packed or frozen sausages regardless of what the label says.

I have given some thought to chicken dona kebabs they have to be mostly chicken and there for ok to eat on the HFLC diet.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The basic dona kebab is lamb meat. I think the point was you do not know what is in dona kebab, meat wise, the same goes for sausages. Especially off the shelf bought pri packed or frozen sausages regardless of what the label says.

I have given some thought to chicken dona kebabs they have to be mostly chicken and there for ok to eat on the HFLC diet.
And what on earth has that to do with the X-pert course?`

Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg
Have a look at this link. It gets the essential idea of LCHF across really well.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Fresh. Natural. Unprocessed. Wholesome.
That kebab is none of those things. :)

Dona Kebab is full of fats as the main meat is lamb which is a meat that is very fatty.The main object is to eat more fats is it not? I do not see any harm in looking for alternative food sources that every one enjoys. The same goes for chicken dona kebab meat surly?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Chaps - Can we try to keep this thread even semi on-track please? It started off as a bit of a celebration and is coming to be a bickering match between certain posters who seem to want the very last syllable in everything.

@Bobby59 - If you have reason to believe that you have eaten foodstuffs which ere not as described on any labelling, then I suggest you take it up with your local Environmental Health or Trading Standards Departments who would certainly be able to have a greater impact than ever discussing it on this forum would.

If anyone has anything further to say on the off-topic stuff, please take it to private messaging or conversely create an appropriately labelled thread where it will be on topic.

Thanks everyone for your assumed indulgence, we really don't want to see this thread locked or individuals banned, I'm sure.

Bobby59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cabbage and most veg
Bobby59

That's fantastic news weldone I have recently started the HFLC diet and I continue to cycle as often as possible. Nothing better than being on a bike in the sun shine.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a shame it took so long to get LCHF a mention on The X-Pert course but it really is a step in the right direction. Thanks again to Dr Trudi Deakin for her hard work on this. The more people who have a chance to try LCHF the better. Since carbs put up BG levels then it's an obvious first choice for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

GCShrimper

Bobby59

I have just joined , posted a question about energy bars and was directed to this post.

May I ask a couple of questions. When doing your 30 miler, do you know if your Heart rate is in the 60-70% of MRH range for the bulk of the ride or higher ?
I find that if I keep the effort fairly low, 15 MPH or so, I can just about cope, until my HR gets into 75% + then I quickly need some fuel.
Used to be able to do 25 Mile + without eating but since I have cut back on the carbs to get my BG down I started knocking .

I don't fancy anything substantial before go out as it will mean getting up earlier, and was looking for a suitable energy bar / gel which won't cause a spike.

Thanks

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I could not agree more. Thank you my apologies, my comments were meant to open a productive debate. But instead I got a bit of a personal bashing for not bowing to the status quo that seems to be going on here. As the nice man said He clearly can not understand what it is I am dong here as he clearly fails to see any possibility of there being any thing untoward with the HFLC diet a lot like my fanatical friend.

A question that I feel is very important. Given the history of supposed fantastic diets and miraculous cures. It is possible the HFLC diet is little more than yet one more fad. I look at the sudden turn around in medical science from fats being bad to fats being good all most over night as breath taking. I wonder why this amazing change of events strangely came along with a increase of Type Two Diabetes.

Some years ago I heard a story of a wall in a small town in America. After a big storm a faint image of what looked like a man with long hair and a beard and what looked like a halo around his head on the wall. Soon enough the image was thought to be that of Jesus Christ and people came from all over to see it and prey next to it. Some claimed to have been cured of illness because of it. This went on for many years making the small town very popular. Then one day there was another big storm when the dust settled clear as it could be on the wall was a painted advert for cigarettes with a depiction of a long hair, beard cowboy and his ten gallon hat..
I think you'll find that the rise in diabetes type 2 correlates to the switch to high carb low fats diet which most 'slimming' diets push and has become the accepted viewpoint for the majority on what makes a healthy diet, there's lots of excellent books on the topic, 'Big fat lies' is one I'd recommend, but you'll find lots more recommended on this site all well researched and written by well qualified reputable professionals.

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I can no longer make comments about my ex newly found friend as he no longer wishes my company after I pointed out his being under weight and could be taking the diet to far.. As we parted company I wish him a hart felt good luck as he very angrily went his way ranting some thing about people not minding their own business. Strange he is the one telling every one who'll stand still long enough about the HFLC diet.

EDIT:- you can lead a person to a cup cake but you can not make them eat it.
I'm just wondering if this is a wind up? Lol

E

ep5

I will not lower my self to having a fight with you, so I will allow your comments to pass and I will try to talk to you like a grown up. So NoCrbs4Me, as a fully recovered type two diabetic, what do you think was or is your trigger weight?

I was fully diagnosed as being Type Two Diabetic, August 2nd 2014 and I was around 18 stone at the time. During November 2014 I took up cycling and I have rode many many miles completing three long distance charity cycle rides during the summer of 2015. Not long after I started cycling my weigh reduced to around 17s 8lb on no diet, in fact my carbs intake went up during this time to compensate for the extra efforts during long distance cycling. Since then I have been lucky and I have reduced my weight further to around 16s 8lb, mostly between January 2016 and present day (sadly through illness not diet). Recently my wife and I have take up some carbs dodging. At the moment my weight remains around the 16 st 8 lb mark. I have noticed a huge change in my blood sugar levels they have dropped off like they have fallen off a cliff. I am fairly confident should I continue to further reduce my weight, my blood sugar could drop even further, and this is with out any drastic diets. I am not suggesting any one gets desperately ill to achieve this weight loss, I am trying to point out my weight loss has come about as a result of hard work and more recently a fluke. This weight loss has alone had a big effect on my blood sugar levels with out a drastic diet being involved..Because of recent illness I have had to reduce my cycling but I hope to fully return to it shortly. I have two cycling charity events lined up for summer 2016.

The News paper article suggests you can go back to normal eating after you go below your personal trigger weight. Naturally any one would advise smaller portions and keeping an eye on the carbs intake less bread and fewer pizza's. But none the less you could again enjoy the meany food options available to you with out going as over board as you did in the past. Combine this with regular exercise such as cycling or jogging a few miles three times a week and you are good to go.

Very often I read about people who have used the HFLC diet and achieved fantastic results. But very rarely is there any mention of exercise included as being a part of the end result. I would go so far as to say gluttony and lazyness is what caused the problem in the first place. I openly used carb loading sports drinks during my first year of being diabetic as an aid to achieving my cycling goals and simply burnt them off when cycling. I know now this was a wrong approach but I still lost weight all be it slowly.

For me I see the HFLC diet as a means to an end rather than a total life style change. Shift the weight and you remove the diabetes problem I feel it really is that simple.

I have a fun question for you. If you take the flat bread out of a small dona kebab what is left has to be good for you on the HFLC diet. As what is left is just meat, fat and some salad. Am I right or wrong?
Meat, fat and salad is exactly what works for me! Dr Jason Fung has an extensive (exhaustive?) blog on the benefits of LC HF eating. He is a nephrologist, and very well educated. I'd recommend his site, it's the most comprehensive I've found... and I love that he includes the scientific studies that form the base of his medical treatment for type 2 diabetes.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/category/lectures/the-aetiology-of-obesity-lecture-series/

E

ep5

You're eating the wrong sort of food then.
What do you believe is in proper meat?
Do you have a link to ingredients a decent meat and the reason you believe you shouldn't eat it?.

(Bacon, that's an exception, it's a mess of chemicals, but still worth eating as well, when I can get it)
I get the nitrate-free kind :) Love my bacon!

cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
May I ask a couple of questions. When doing your 30 miler, do you know if your Heart rate is in the 60-70% of MRH range for the bulk of the ride or higher ?...

Here are the stats from my last ride - quite a leisurely one at 14mph average

ZONE %HRR BPM TIME % ZONE
Z1 30% - 50% 101 - 125 00:01:37 1%
Z2 50% - 60% 125 - 137 00:17:51 14%
Z3 60% - 70% 137 - 149 00:37:05 29%
Z4 70% - 80% 149 - 161 00:46:40 36%
Z5 80% - 90% 161 - 173 00:25:01 20%

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Type two for a year with added bladder cancer lucky me. This is the problem given the huge amount of miss information on the internet can you truly trust the word of experts who not so long ago was telling us fats were bad Mkay. I spoke to my doctor about the HFLC diet and he said the jury is still out and I should just stick to a balanced diet for now. One other thing I will not be bullied into submitting to your agree with me or get the F..K out tactics.
Hi Bobby
I was diagnosed T2 in 2000. I followed the high complex carb, low fat diet for 8 years. By then I was suffering a range of complications - crippling peripheral neuropathy, extreme tiredness, beginning of retinopathy & reduced kidney function. My leg muscles were so painful getting out of bed took 5 minutes.
That was 2008. I then found this forum & the advice to cut right down on carbs. My condition improved rapidly & in 3 months I was out of pain & able to play tennis again.
8 years on, at 77 y-o, I am fit & well with NO diabetes related problems. I play tennis & table tennis at club standard & don't expect concessions for my age. I don't need carbs for energy - play for up to 2 hours without tiring.
There is of course no need to immediately go OTT with LCHF. Make sure that it is NOT a licence to eat deep fried takeaways - the HF is good clean fat - butter & olive & rapeseed oil, nuts (they're 50% fat.) I use a flour comprising ground almonds & coconut flour, butter & eggs to make a cake - carb substitute - for absorbing gravy & take-out snacks. I use the same mix as a "porridge" for b'fast.
I complained about the X-PERT course over 2 years ago (particularly about tee comparison of low & high fat diets), & the dietitian running it recommended I write to Trudi Deakin. I did, & I think others wrote also. She took my comments on board, tried LCHF herself & studied the literature. The next thing I knew was that she was all in favour of LCHF, & had written "Eat Fat - a Guide to Low Carb."
My daily carb amounts to about 50 g, rather than the 300 g of a DUK or NHS "healthy" diet.
Try it - see how you get on. 16 years diabetic, 8 on LCHF & my health is excellent & the complications that were threatening my active life are no more. .
I cannot speak regarding your cancer - I hope that is kept under control or cured by treatment - but I can say that if you adopt LCHF you are likely to experience a general improvement in diabetes control & health generally, which may have a positive effect on the cancer.
I wish you well.