Loosing 3/4lb in 1 day? (& What about the Metformin?)

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Just weighed myself this morning and if I can loose another 3/4 of a lb I'll have lost 1 stone (with Slimming World) more in actual fact since I started by trying to loose weight by myself some months before.

I saw something on diet doctor today, that talked about not having anything for breakfast but maybe coffee. I can do that, no problem. But will it work?
I've found that I can easily put a couple of pounds on during a day, without doing anything much different to any other day. Frustrating. So I'm willing to try having nothing.
I've been trying (the last day or so) to do the Low Carb/High Fat diet, and it seems to be working.

But I also wondered about not eating anything at all today until after the SW weigh-in tonight? (I'd really like a certificate for getting down to that stone mark, you see. I got one once (for 1/2 stone) and it made me feel really amazing. I've been trying to get down to that mark for 3 or 4 weeks now.)

Only... if I do do that, (the no food bit) what about the Metformin? cos you're supposed to take that with food... but if you don't eat any, what do you do then?
I just wondered.

I mean is it even possible to loose 3/4lb in one day? (Oh, and I can't do exercise as I have arthritis - especially bad in right knee. So I'm just talking about diet here, nothing else.)

Has anyone else managed this? If yes, how did you do it? What did you eat? or didn't you?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Swing across but test ..... and give that LCHF diet time to work. It will take weeks.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well...yes, it is possible, though it might not happen in first try . There should not come any harm by doing it,....but don't compensate the fasting by eating little extra later on;)
As for metformin...well...I've forgotten to take odd one or two in occasion and haven't noticed any difference...after all metformin's effects are accumulative rather than instant.
I'm at the moment doing longer session of fasting...just started day 3...and I had to drop off from my metformin because it would have effect to my 'internal works'. Even I'm taking metformin SR and I have loads of liquid in my tummy all the time, and not normally reacting to RS...it still didn't agree with me...you know what happens then :rolleyes: Let's say I didn't have to result to enema to clear other end from food remnants :oops:
I'm loosing 400g weight per day at the moment..that's just under a pound...though it is bonus as I'm starving myself purely for other reasons.

Reactions: 3 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Swing across but test ..... and give that LCHF diet time to work. It will take weeks.
"Swing across"??? what does that mean please? Can't test yet, the company still haven't delivered my next batch of strips and I'm all out.

Last edited by a moderator:

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well...yes, it is possible, though it might not happen in first try . There should not come any harm by doing it,....but don't compensate the fasting by eating little extra later on;)
As for metformin...well...I've forgotten to take odd one or two in occasion and haven't noticed any difference...after all metformin's effects are accumulative rather than instant.
I'm at the moment doing longer session of fasting...just started day 3...and I had to drop off from my metformin because it would have effect to my 'internal works'. Even I'm taking metformin SR and I have loads of liquid in my tummy all the time, and not normally reacting to RS...it still didn't agree with me...you know what happens then :rolleyes: Let's say I didn't have to result to enema to clear other end from food remnants :oops:
I'm loosing 400g weight per day at the moment..that's just under a pound...though it is bonus as I'm starving myself purely for other reasons.

Hmmm, just under a pound per day eh? Sounds possible then. Meeting is at 5.30pm tonight... I could have dinner once I get home. And yes, I do realise it might not work. I think I'll hold fire on having a coffee for as long as I can - that might help too. Thanks for the heads-up on the Metformin body action... lol!

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've given up and made myself a cup of coffee - not a lot of point when the scales say I've gained 2lb just since this morning and just on about 100ml or less of water. Grrr! Lol.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What ever you do it won't really be true weight loss and you may be disappointed next week - be proud of how you are doing its not a sprint and if you don't make it this week you will probably make it next week with a pound or two over and already on your way to your next goal!

Reactions: 5 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What ever you do it won't really be true weight loss and you may be disappointed next week - be proud of how you are doing its not a sprint and if you don't make it this week you will probably make it next week with a pound or two over and already on your way to your next goal!
Yeah I guess so. The idea of doing it faster is very appealing but the practicalities often don't match your expectations. Means I can think up a late brunch, if I want to.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On an LCHF diet a cup of coffee and cream for breakfast can sometimes last me all day, but sometimes plain water can work too. Our bodies can learn to use stored fat for energy instead of getting it from food we've eaten.

When I was losing weight I'd often oscillate, losing or gaining a kilo or so over a day for a week or so before it finally settled down to become a definite loss. A lot of it can just be due to fluids.

I'm on 2x500mg SR metformin a day, and I currently split my dose, and I have no unpleasant side effects taking it on my empty tum when I don't eat breakfast. It really depends on how your body tolerates metformin, and taking it with meals just helps avoid potential issues. The SR version may well be better in this respect as you're getting the dose in very small quantities continuously 24 hours a day - so whether you're actually eating or not.

Robbity

If you've got stock cubes in the house try one of those in a cup of hot water instead of a meal (possibly with a little dash of cream), if you feel bit wobbly or hungry with just the coffee - this can also help keep you going without a proper meal.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've given up and made myself a cup of coffee - not a lot of point when the scales say I've gained 2lb just since this morning and just on about 100ml or less of water. Grrr! Lol.

Our bodies are great self-regulators, and will gain and lose throughout the day and week, but it's not necessarily fat we gain or lose. This is something we can lose sight of if we're trying to influence the scales.

I am now pretty skinny. My weight challenges are around keeping it on, which I know may sound like heaven, but it's a challenge nonetheless; just a different one.

My point is, however, I can influence my scales quite a bit. I know that throws up mental images of some wrinkled woman standing, nekkid on her bathroom scales, on one leg, leaning over like the Tower of Pisa, but I don't mean that.

If I have a carb-heavy meal for dinner, my weight will rise slightly next day as my body needs to hold a certain amount of water with the carb to both digest it and then it be eliminated along my gastric track, in due course.

If I just have a very light meal, say scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, with minimal salad garnish, my weight will drop - due to the very low carb nature of what I have eaten and the meal itself not being incredibly bulky.

If I have a steak, with a mountain of cauli cheese, say, my weight will be up - not necessarily because of the carbs in the cauli

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes..like already mentioned...weight will fluctuate so much...if you do 'good' no2..really good clear out, that only can drop weight quite a bit....and it works other way round, how much is stored in your colon before it comes out will of course increase the weight.
I tend to weigh myself after I've 'been'..so I get as close to 'real' weight as possible...;)

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to weigh myself once a week at the most, first thing in the morning before any food or drink. On the occasions I have been on and off the scales I find I can gain or lose a kilo in a day but once a week it all seems to even out.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
"Swing across"??? what does that mean please? Can't test yet, the company still haven't delivered my next batch of strips and I'm all out.

To coffee ..... and don't be obsessed with scales as it's early days