BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Four weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after being rushed to hospital experiencing laboured breathing... turned out to be DKA. There is no diabetes in my family at all, so this has come as a massive shock, I barely even knew what diabetes was before.
The main reason I've signed up to the forum is because I was told by nurses and doctors that I would recieve a lot of support from them... which for some reason has ended after just 3 weeks and I now only see them every 4 months apparently. So hopefully I can make some friends here and not feel so awful.

So introductions!
My name is Blaise and I am 21 years old. I live in Coventry but I'm a student in Leicester, I was meant to graduate this year. Unfortunately, due to this whole experience, I have had to ask to resit my third year... although I only had 1 month of it to go. I like to go out with friends for long drives and I hate mushrooms.

So yeah... Bye!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!
Four weeks ago I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after being rushed to hospital experiencing laboured breathing... turned out to be DKA. There is no diabetes in my family at all, so this has come as a massive shock, I barely even knew what diabetes was before.
The main reason I've signed up to the forum is because I was told by nurses and doctors that I would recieve a lot of support from them... which for some reason has ended after just 3 weeks and I now only see them every 4 months apparently. So hopefully I can make some friends here and not feel so awful.

So introductions!
My name is Blaise and I am 21 years old. I live in Coventry but I'm a student in Leicester, I was meant to graduate this year. Unfortunately, due to this whole experience, I have had to ask to resit my third year... although I only had 1 month of it to go. I like to go out with friends for long drives and I hate mushrooms.

So yeah... Bye!

Hello Blaise.

What instructions have you had for any time you have a concern, or don't know what to do? Is your care to be based in Coventry or Leicester?

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Blaise.

What instructions have you had for any time you have a concern, or don't know what to do? Is your care to be based in Coventry or Leicester?

I'm being treated in Coventry as I'm staying at home with my parents right now. I wasn't really told what to do, other than phone them, but I tried ringing yesterday and was told just to ring 111. I have had an appointment with the diabetes nurse at my local GP and plan to make one again tomorrow - its just that my GP is always booked and I have to wait weeks for appointments which isn't ideal.

Maybe I'm just really impatient though ... I've nearly got my blood sugars under control and regular... but I've done a lot of guess work and have no idea if I'm doing things right.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @BlaiseS

I recommend a book called Think Like A Pancreas. It's a great book with a lot of information that you can look through gradually.

If you have any particular questions, not matter how small, do ask :)

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm being treated in Coventry as I'm staying at home with my parents right now. I wasn't really told what to do, other than phone them, but I tried ringing yesterday and was told just to ring 111. I have had an appointment with the diabetes nurse at my local GP and plan to make one again tomorrow - its just that my GP is always booked and I have to wait weeks for appointments which isn't ideal.

Maybe I'm just really impatient though ... I've nearly got my blood sugars under control and regular... but I've done a lot of guess work and have no idea if I'm doing things right.

Well, I can confidently say you'll find lots of support here, from others who are very experienced with the condition, and the system!

I don't have any knowledge or experience of diabetes care in Coventry, but if it's at the Uni,Hospital there, that's rather disappointing. The Leicester Diabetes Centre, which I have no personal experience of to be clear, is an award winning unit and they are very active on Twitter. It might be worthwhile seeing if your unit has an active presence on there, as I have found Tweeting something other than glowing praise (albeit to a meter manufacturer) brought them out,of idling and "all ears".

Just a thought.

If you wanted to, you could always pose your query from yesterday here, in a thread of its own, and see if anyone can help? One thing to b e aware of is 99.9% of posters on here are sufferers or relatives of diabetics, rather the diabetic HCProfessionals. But, for sure, someone will have experience "like yours".

Good luck with it all. As a T2, not taking any medication, I'm not going to be much use to you, I'm afraid.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. It's very poor that you have had so little support so soon after you diagnosed and DKA; that is bad. My Diabetes nurse was excellent when I went onto insulin from tablets (I'm a Late onset T1) and gave me her email address. Sadly she has left but the new nurse is still quite good. If you can let us know what insulins you are on and what guidance you have or have not been given I'm sure we can add to your knowledge. There are many insulin users on these forums and a wealth of experience. Are you carb-counting yet i.e. matching your meal-time Bolus (rapid) insulin to the carbs? Some nurses like mine started me immediately but other wait a while.

BlaiseS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your replies!
@azure I will certainly be looking up that book! I keep saying to my Mum that I am my pancreas now and not to worry about how much insulin I'm injecting as it's what my pancreas would have given me anyway if it didn't decide to go on a permenant holiday.
@AndBreathe it is possible that some of my care may be transferred to Leicester due to how often I'm there and for any emergency situations that may arise, so it's nice to know they are active and may provide support - especially when I am alone.
@Daibell I started carb counting less than a week after I was discharged from hospital after just one appointment with a nutritionist. I've found my insulin: carb ratio is 3:10 for breakfast/ lunch and 2:10 for dinner or any snacks higher than 15g. The nutrionist only mentioned going up to 2:10 but I felt that waiting 4 months until my next appointment to ask her was ridiculous. I haven't needed any correction doses since going up to 3:10 and have yet to have a hypo so I guess I'm doing it right. I take Novorapid with meals and Lantus at night - which is a bit stingy - but I've read that's normal due to it's acidity.

Thank you all so much again!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi :)

Just wanted to say You seem like you're managing things really well for how little time you've had to get used to all this!

As the others have said, post any questions you have there is always someone that is going through the same thing or has some experience and can relate :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@BlaiseS It's fantastic that your carb counting :) You may want to ask about a half unit pen if you haven't got one as it makes altering doses and doing correction doses more flexible.