Fasting For Type 2's

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

@Indy51

Its funny going over this particular blog as Fung's posts are now at 26 or so for "Fasting". I 've read a good deal of his postings but they all make so much sense. I recall meeting my first endocrinologist and how she was smarmy that all us T2DMs were screwed without her type of help. First thing I did with her was give her, her P45. Done. Next.

Doctor Robert Szabo sums up Dr. Fung's knowledge base in a little over 20 minutes.

Why did it take so long to find this information? I have no clue.

Reactions: 2 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Indy51

Its funny going over this particular blog as Fung's posts are now at 26 or so for "Fasting". I 've read a good deal of his postings but they all make so much sense. I recall meeting my first endocrinologist and how she was smarmy that all us T2DMs were screwed without her type of help. First thing I did with her was give her, her P45. Done. Next.

Doctor Robert Szabo sums up Dr. Fung's knowledge base in a little over 20 minutes.

Why did it take so long to find this information? I have no clue.
I enjoyed that video and found it very informative!

I started my second attempt with longer session of fasting last night and getting reminded of what to expect in coming days and why was useful indeed.
I already picked up the possible cause where I went wrong last time and won't repeat my mistakes this time! MORE salt I think!
First 24 hrs completed! No achy or hunger issues so far...though it is early days yet and no doubt 'some' will power to carry on is needed.
I had little problem with slightly elevated blood sugar levels earlier on but corrected it with teeny bit of insulin and metformin tablet.
I'm hoping that as the time goes by, in next day or two, I can be totally without meds...at least during the fasting. Fingers crossed!

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I fasted until 3pm had baked cod for dinner with strawberries and whipped cream. Wonderful food then a quick 22 mile bike ride. I woke and tested this morning with a 103mg/dl (a great number) :)

@AloeSvea how are you doing these days with your fasting? My longest fast so far has been two stretches of 66 hours. I mostly now do 18-20hour fasts and I am holding my own on weight loss but no remission yet..

Last edited by a moderator:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yesterday I fasted until 3pm had baked cod for dinner with strawberries and whipped cream. Wonderful food then a quick 22 mile bike ride. I woke and tested this morning with a 103mg/dl (a great number) :)

@AloeSvea how are you doing these days with your fasting? My longest fast so far has been two stretches of 66 hours. I mostly now do 18-20hour fasts and I am holding my own on weight loss but no remission yet..
Uhh....no food talk PLEEEASE! I'm just having little hunger moment...:rolleyes: 'heading to kitchen for a hot drink...'
Strawberries and whipped cream......'drooling'...:wacky:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this guy!

Butter Bob Briggs on Fasting and the Fifty Percent Insulin Problem - how alternate day fasting lowers fasting/basal insulin levels:

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I love this guy!

Butter Bob Briggs on Fasting and the Fifty Percent Insulin Problem - how alternate day fasting lowers fasting/basal insulin levels:

Thanks! Watched it and it was very clear message. How encouraging indeed!
My brain is not in full functions this morning..and I seem to fix into one thing he said but I just don't seem to able to think it through (fast day 4..and only just started slurping morning broth...;)).
When he is talking about what his insulin levels are/were....how is that measured? Is there test for circulating insulin? I assume if there is...it is not done by any 'home kits'?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed that video and found it very informative!

I started my second attempt with longer session of fasting last night and getting reminded of what to expect in coming days and why was useful indeed.
I already picked up the possible cause where I went wrong last time and won't repeat my mistakes this time! MORE salt I think!
First 24 hrs completed! No achy or hunger issues so far...though it is early days yet and no doubt 'some' will power to carry on is needed.
I had little problem with slightly elevated blood sugar levels earlier on but corrected it with teeny bit of insulin and metformin tablet.
I'm hoping that as the time goes by, in next day or two, I can be totally without meds...at least during the fasting. Fingers crossed!
Hi Finsky
How do you take the salt? and how much?

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Finsky
How do you take the salt? and how much?
This time I've made my own broth..by boiling some left over chicken carcases from roast dinners, added few spices, salt and stock cubes as well....boiled for few hours..sieved and resulting liquid I then use by pouring some in cup and top up with boiling water to make my drink..about half and half solution. If it doesn't taste salty enough I just add some more.
OR...I've also bought some Kallo stock cubes...half of those in cup of boiled water does the job too.
I have about 3-4 small mugs in a day while I'm fasting. Sorry, can't be anymore specific to the salt quantity. Only thing I can say my salt intake is much more than I would use when eating 'normally'.
My weight during these last few days haven't dropped even I haven't been eating and I think it is because I have taken so much salt...having some water retention, but it is good thing. It is not noticeable water retention (as to able to see..no swelling etc.) as such, but because I'm generally drinking so much liquids while fasting, it is good not to be able to 'flush' one's system out of minerals and make oneself ill/feel bad (like I must have done during last attempt). I'm not drinking because I'm thirsty neither..just keeping myself well hydrated and to kill some hunger/empty feelings.
As for the salt intake..I'm going by the body's signs..if there appear any skin changes on my neck that means not enough salt..or if I start feeling little weak and achy, maybe light headed> more salt! So now I've settled to those few mug fulls of broth, just tad too salty for the taste, that seem to be right level for me.
If you are interested..I've started writing about my fasting session on this thread..http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...-hr-fast-20-hr-fast.79549/page-9#post-1143078 ...yes..I did my entry into wrong place but as I started, I might as well carry on...:rolleyes:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This time I've made my own broth..by boiling some left over chicken carcases from roast dinners, added few spices, salt and stock cubes as well....boiled for few hours..sieved and resulting liquid I then use by pouring some in cup and top up with boiling water to make my drink..about half and half solution. If it doesn't taste salty enough I just add some more.
Hi Finsky
Thanks for that.. I did an 88 hour fast a couple of weeks ago and felt ok apart from a few cold hand and feet moments.. seemed to restart my weight loss.. Maybe I'll try some of the Kallo stock cubes next time. I usually just have tea with unsweetened soya milk or coffee with double cream and soya milk as my liquids.. probably should have more water ..
It was the first time I have been in the 4's and 5's for an extended period so am keen to try it again..Will read your fasting posts now.
All the best
Mark

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Finsky
Thanks for that.. I did an 88 hour fast a couple of weeks ago and felt ok apart from a few cold hand and feet moments.. seemed to restart my weight loss.. Maybe I'll try some of the Kallo stock cubes next time. I usually just have tea with unsweetened soya milk or coffee with double cream and soya milk as my liquids.. probably should have more water ..
It was the first time I have been in the 4's and 5's for an extended period so am keen to try it again..Will read your fasting posts now.
All the best
Mark
The liquids I have drank are water, black coffee, herbal fruity tea and broth only..but to add I have taken some supplements....more of 'just in case' rather than for real need..;)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When he is talking about what his insulin levels are/were....how is that measured? Is there test for circulating insulin? I assume if there is...it is not done by any 'home kits'?
Yes, it's only done by medical blood testing - in some versions of the OGTT challenge testing, they also test for insulin as well as BG, especially when they're trying to diagnose RH. It's not standard in Australia for the standard 2 hour OGTT - they only test for BG unfortunately.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Yes, it's only done by medical blood testing - in some versions of the OGTT challenge testing, they also test for insulin as well as BG, especially when they're trying to diagnose RH. It's not standard in Australia for the standard 2 hour OGTT - they only test for BG unfortunately.
Ah..I thought so..fat chance I could get one of those done with our NHS..:rolleyes: It would be interesting, but supposed it is not absolutely necessary, well not in my case anyway.
My brain fog is cleared now...and I was able understand your reply! ;):rolleyes::angelic: I'm not a morning person at all.....:meh:

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this guy!

@Indy51

I watched this video too. That study of intermittent fasting day on day off for 21 days improving insulin sensitivity was interesting. When I last went to the Endo's he suggested putting on some muscle but gave me no idea how. Yet the other thing he told was I was insulin resistant and that putting on muscle would improve my insulin sensitivity. So this link here

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/

is also a great read, and leads to improving insulin sensitivity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16051710

"This experiment is the first in humans to show that intermittent fasting increases insulin-mediated glucose uptake rates,"

In short alternate day fasting is very good for a long life and a better grip on ones elevated glucose situation. Finally I sense I am getting more healthy! Yea!

I have to say having many people (like these on this blog) working on a better solution for T2DM is a "God Send!" Thanks to everyone for their work too!

LBB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting blog post by Dr Fung on recently published post Biggest Loser diet studies - he talks about the differences in metabolic response of calorie restriction ("starvation mode") -vs- fasting:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/biggest-loser-diet-explained/

He cracks me up with his "Calorie Restriction as Primary" model i.e. **** :D

Awesome link @Indy51

Confirms my experiences exactly.

Those poor poor Biggest Loser contestents. All that fire and zeal and effort, and now they are worse off.
Breaks my heart. Mainly cos i already have the t shirt.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Indy51
Finally I sense I am getting more healthy! Yea!
I have to say having many people (like these on this blog) working on a better solution for T2DM is a "God Send!" Thanks to everyone for their work too!
LBB
That is what I feel too. Although I still have lots of work and experiments to do for improvement but I'm already living proof that what they talk about works.
Getting learn all this info is like holding keys into big secret...so exiting and I just want to tell it to everybody..:rolleyes::D
Last time was in hospital...I was waiting to see the nurse..I kept looking at who was coming and going..thinking.."if only you would know...you could help yourself and make things so much better..." Felt quite sad and sorry about it ..though there is so many that won't help themselves even if they would learn 'the secret'..:(

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is what I feel too. Although I still have lots of work and experiments to do for improvement but I'm already living proof that what they talk about works.
Getting learn all this info is like holding keys into big secret...so exiting and I just want to tell it to everybody..:rolleyes::D
Last time was in hospital...I was waiting to see the nurse..I kept looking at who was coming and going..thinking.."if only you would know...you could help yourself and make things so much better..." Felt quite sad and sorry about it ..though there is so many that won't help themselves even if they would learn 'the secret'..:(

@Finsky

This link www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung is a great easy to remember link to the start of a great education. My friend whom I am coaching into losing some weight (original BMI of 30+) is now hardcore fasting. He's down from 225 to 209lbs and loving his new body..

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
@Finsky

This link www.tinyurl.com/Dr-JasonFung is a great easy to remember link to the start of a great education. My friend whom I am coaching into losing some weight (original BMI of 30+) is now hardcore fasting. He's down from 225 to 209lbs and loving his new body..
Yes thank you, I am subscribing his blogs too...;) Although I already have 'recipe' that works with blood sugars and weight..with 'experiments and learning' I meant that I still looking to better myself and reading books, watching videos..it is never ending process...so much interesting information to learn. Sometimes I feel like it is good work out for the brain..maybe it burns some energy more too!:rolleyes::D
Today I just finished my 7 day fasting session and now looking forward to learn what effect that has to my body in longer term...as 'prescribed' by dr fung ;)

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thank you, I am subscribing his blogs too...;) Although I already have 'recipe' that works with blood sugars and weight..with 'experiments and learning' I meant that I still looking to better myself and reading books, watching videos..it is never ending process...so much interesting information to learn. Sometimes I feel like it is good work out for the brain..maybe it burns some energy more too!:rolleyes::D
Today I just finished my 7 day fasting session and now looking forward to learn what effect that has to my body in longer term...as 'prescribed' by dr fung ;)

@Finsky

I did a 36 hour wet fast and finished yesterday. I am starting another 36 hour fast as of this morning. I've got to buy some new batteries for my meter and in a few days I'll know how my FBGs will be.. Got to test on a day when I've eaten the night before..