Due to start pump therapy.... five days to go!

iHs

@richyb

Unfortunately, due to the cost of funding, pumps are not offered unless someone makes a subtle noise of discontent
with the bolus/basal regime even after completing a carb counting course and getting what may seem to be a
good hba1c. If tighter control results in worrying about low bg levels during the day and night, then quality of life can come into the equasion and can be used by a consultant to request that a CCG funds.
Pumps are hard work though at times and demand a lot of attention to getting the settings ok so by no means - work magic and
give everyone a normal life.
Frequent bg testing is a must (about 8-10 times per day) so if you are not already doing that on MDI and cant get your control any better, then a pump is not really going to help you if you only test 4-5 times.
Also, some hospitals will support pumps and some think that they are a bit dangerous leading easily to DKA if bg testing isnt done, so look at what you are doing now and see if you can get your control to be better simply by testing bg a bit more but keep in mind, quality of life if you do decide to make more of an issue in wanting one. If your nearest and dearest start to be affected by worrying over how you deal with the low bg levels, then that is another quality of life issue.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck to everyone starting or battling to get a pump!

I've been 'managed' by my gp for years but now have an appointment in June with a hospital team and am really hoping they'll be open to discussing pumps with me. I've only really seen the benefits of them in the last few months and now can't bear the thought of having to battle for years to get one! I'm taking on board all the advice from here though - fingers crossed!

Does anyone know of pump friendly clinics around the Birmingham/Midlands area?

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've been 'managed' by my gp for years but now have an appointment in June with a hospital team and am really hoping they'll be open to discussing pumps with me. I've only really seen the benefits of them in the last few months and now can't bear the thought of having to battle for years to get one! I'm taking on board all the advice from here though - fingers crossed!

Hiya check out input they have a list of pump friendly clinics

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/pump-clinics/

Hope this helps
Claire

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, I have been advised by my DSN that on Monday night I should take 8 units of levemir (as opposed to my normal 16, which is part of a split dose, I take 12 in the am) and then no levemir in the morning, and simply correct my sugar levels with the novorapid until my appointment. Has anyone else been told this? Not that I will go against her advice, just curious as to what others have experienced.

At least waking up sky high will not be unusual for me on Tuesday morning! :D

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @BeccyB ! I am in Hertfordshire so do not know of any clinics up there, but I wish you good luck! Have you looked up the NICE criteria for pump eligibility? Might be useful to know, if you haven't already had a look of course. :)

x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am now officially pumping with a 640g. And even better, today the first nightscout hack came out!

eca917e4bcf100e2aef318261b62c1b6.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, I have been advised by my DSN that on Monday night I should take 8 units of levemir (as opposed to my normal 16, which is part of a split dose, I take 12 in the am) and then no levemir in the morning, and simply correct my sugar levels with the novorapid until my appointment. Has anyone else been told this? Not that I will go against her advice, just curious as to what others have experienced.

At least waking up sky high will not be unusual for me on Tuesday morning! :D

Yeah that's what I did if I remember correctly - although 2 years ago is a long time ago for me to remember but think that's what other people tend to say on here that they have done/been advised to do :)

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So here I am, with my new 'best friend'! I have to say I am amazed that I cannot feel it at all and I feel like it has always been here.

I know that getting basal/bolus rates correct is going to take some work, but I am truly thrilled and feeling optimistic even after a couple of hypos. I think the scariest bit was putting the infusion set in but, actually, there was nothing to be scared of! I did not feel a thing!

Special thanks to those members who warned about needing a bag/suitcase. You certainly weren't wrong!

I feel very lucky and hope that those waiting for pumps get them really soon.

Jo

x

Attachments

• pumpday.jpg
    pumpday.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 253
Reactions: 6 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Jubblyjo1601 I have to admit to being impressed with the little pump. The user interface is surprisingly good and snappy and I like the built in bolus wizard so you can use either the supplied Contour or a the pump itself. I'm going to make the jump and buy the CGM as there is now some #wearenotwaiting work that has been done that will allow all the pump data to be picked up on an Android phone and integrated with Nightscout, which is what I use to manage my diabetes. It's all very exciting!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
can't tell who looks happier -- you or the pump :D:D:D:D:D

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah so pleased for you Jo! Where have you chosen to put your infusion set? I went with my stomach first and then tried different areas over time but always go back to using my stomach :)

Hope your first night went ok xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jo how are you getting on? I'm getting more excited/nervous as Monday approaches when I get my pump. Have you had many hypos or anything as your getting used to it? I'm back to work the next day so hoping it will be ok

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi jo how are you getting on? I'm getting more excited/nervous as Monday approaches when I get my pump. Have you had many hypos or anything as your getting used to it? I'm back to work the next day so hoping it will be ok

Try not to panic yourself I went to work an hour after getting my pump, admittedly I have a understanding boss & team mates that knew I would be constantly testing that day but I wanted to be straight into normal routine and see how I got on with it.. Was very aware of it the whole day though lol

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah so pleased for you Jo! Where have you chosen to put your infusion set? I went with my stomach first and then tried different areas over time but always go back to using my stomach :)

Hope your first night went ok xx

Thanks so much! Yes, its in the stomach, though in a part that I would never have thought of putting it! I just can't believe that I can't feel it there at all.

Last night was good too! That was one of the parts I was most nervous about, thinking it may get tangled up or pulled out. I bought a pouch that velcros around my thigh so it was under my PJ's, and had no problems at all! Woke up to test at 2:30am but apart from that I had a great nights sleep!

Where else have you tried the infusion set? I have my first set change tomorrow afternoon(a little earlier than planned).

Got a costa skinny latte on my desk.... 11g carbs.... guessing I just do the bolus for it and pray for the best? :D

xxx

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Oooh how exciting! Only a few days left to wait! When I was sat in the waiting room yesterday afternoon, all of a sudden the same feeling came over me that did when I was about to walk down the aisle at my wedding! The excited but nervous feeling. I haven't had the pump for even 24 hours yet but I honestly love it. Your nervousness will disappear really quickly I promise!

I have had hypos since about 6:30 pm yesterday. I will share with you what I have sent to my DSN, just a little table of how my sugars were. I think they were expecting them to be high. Was easy to fix and of course, all trial and error at this early stage! Think my basal rates need adjusting so just waiting for her to get back to me with a suggestion of how much to reduce by.

Good luck for Monday and please let us know how you get on! :cool::D:)

I meant to add, I am back to work today and so far all is good and stable!

Attachments

• 100516-110516.pdf
    96 KB · Views: 264

Kevin1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad it's going well for you! I'm meeting the consultant today to sort out my prescription ready for Monday and hopefully find out what pump I'm getting as it was all very sudden and not found out yet. The other day when I was injecting it suddenly hit me after 17 years it's all gonna change its very strange!

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm glad it's going well for you! I'm meeting the consultant today to sort out my prescription ready for Monday and hopefully find out what pump I'm getting as it was all very sudden and not found out yet. The other day when I was injecting it suddenly hit me after 17 years it's all gonna change its very strange!

That it a strange feeling. When I gave my last injection I could almost hear 'Land of hope and glory' playing in the distance ha ha! It was strange not doing my usual injections this morning as well! Happy days! :D:D:D:D

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much! Yes, its in the stomach, though in a part that I would never have thought of putting it! I just can't believe that I can't feel it there at all.

Last night was good too! That was one of the parts I was most nervous about, thinking it may get tangled up or pulled out. I bought a pouch that velcros around my thigh so it was under my PJ's, and had no problems at all! Woke up to test at 2:30am but apart from that I had a great nights sleep!

Where else have you tried the infusion set? I have my first set change tomorrow afternoon(a little earlier than planned).

Got a costa skinny latte on my desk.... 11g carbs.... guessing I just do the bolus for it and pray for the best? :D

xxx

Ah glad you had a good night with it, you really don't notice it at all through the night I think, even if you lay on it I don't find it digs in.

What did you do about bolus for latte? Personally if I'm having a 10g ish 'snack' I don't bolus for it and seem to stay pretty steady bg wise (I've found this out over time through trial n error) but if I was having it with a meal or other snacks I would include it, however I'm heavily pregnant at the moment so I bolus for everything because my bg just won't behave itself haha

I've tried sets in my bum which I found I was very aware of, so many people use their bum and have no problems but I just couldn't seem to get away with it. Top of my thigh was ok but had to up my basal because of the absorption rate there. Top of my arm was ok, found it fairly comfortable and basal stayed the same but I didn't like it on show, obviously it's fine if I'm wearing something covering my arms but because I have the sure t sets I've got like 2 parts stuck to me n the plastic bit where my cannula is can get caught really easily so I feel very aware of it, so my stomach I just find easier I can put it anywhere there, it's out the way, absorption is good, but I know some people who only use their bum/thigh so see what works best for you :)

What infusion sets have you got? Do you feel confidant doing your set change? My first one was a nightmare cos I didn't write anything down I was certain id remember everything but I ended up phoning my friend and wetting him to talk me through everything and I realised I was missing a vital step, can't remember what it was now but I felt very silly lol

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Think my basal rates need adjusting so just waiting for her to get back to me with a suggestion of how much to reduce by.
She'll probably drop you by about 10% as that's how they tend to work. This is the point at which it's really worth investing in a Libre as it enables you to see what's going on really clearly.

Looking at the numbers you've shown, a lot of your basal level is too high as you're not needing to touch insulin for food really!