Frowned at by Nurse when I mentioned LCHF

fene48

Yep..indeed.
I have just looked 'merited' Joslin Diabetic Centre's nutritional recommendations for diabetics....all I have to say, if you rate their recommendations and think they are correct...well, good luck to you! I definitely won't be following their advise..NHS advise, although in similar lines but not quite so UNHEALTHY haven't done any favours for me.
I wish all the best for you.......
Like wise Finsky. Really wish you the best on whatever path you choose to travel. Maybe we can compare notes in the next reincarnation?

fene48

Hmmm. I had not realized Credit Suisse were also medical researchers. Mind you they have a nice disclaimer at the end. Impressive research and references put together in a creative fashion. Thanks for putting up the web address it was interesting reading - but I still prefer to go by the dietary guidelines of the countries listed.
You see I was born in Hungary, which had the second highest rate of coronary death in the world. I am very familiar with what and how much people eat and the types of fat - yup, it's saturated stuff from lots of meat, offal and heaps of other yummy things like speck, salami, brawn and the list goes on.
So I guess I will continue to get almost 50% of my daily calories from olive oil, canola, nice greasy salmon, and of course all those lovely nuts (being one myself).
Regards from Down Under

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just a little update as I was at the Dr's yesterday; I have been logging my bs levels and showed the Doc, I still have spikes every now and again (i'm finding it hard to let go of full fat coke in my vodkas) but never go above 10, and they are usually back below 7 within a couple of hours. My Doc, wants me to monitor less and just go by the HbA1c results (which i wont have another one until July/August) insists I up my metformin from 2x500 to 3x500 per day. He also wants me to be eating more carbs and more fruit (the very things that I have shown him cause spikes).... I'm gonna keep to what he says about the meds just now, until i'm on point with my lchf diet. But overall i'm well happy, since being able to monitor myself, which is about a week, I can start to see what causes me to spike and by what degree... If i wasn't monitoring I would have no idea, and my levels would probably still be way above normal... Also its when i experiment with different carbs or amounts I see the biggest changes... a month ago my fasting used to be between 18-24 and now its between 5-7 so i cant grumble at all. I appreciate all the info/advice and support this forum gives because i know if i'd just followed the doctors wishes i would be no where near those levels at all, and i would be naive and not know any difference..

Reactions: 2 people

fene48

For those worried by heart disease, you might want to keep an eye out for a new documentary called "The Widowmaker".

One of our members, Ivor Cummings (aka Fat Emperor) gave a lecture prior to a screening of the documentary in Dublin on 11 May 2016 on the root causes of heart disease and the test that could save your life (the CAC - coronary arterial calcium score):

Hi
I had a look at the video and felt a sense of unease. Why in God's name is an electrical engineer lecturing about the heart etc.
He then introduces this dude called Thomas Dayspring, who is an Assistant Professor at some place that he (the engineer) has forgotten to display.Oh! and he labelled everything this Dayspring dude sent him as "my interpretation". Now I am really interested. I thought this Dayspring spoke English, so why the need to interpret.
It turns out that the good "Professor" is with an organization called "the Foundation for Health Improvement and Technology" which is funded by certain industries. (Foundations are very popular in America and also here in Australia - they are generally funded by dubious philanthropists who want their identity kept secret. The modus operandi is the same as the tobacco companies used and more recently the climate change deniers. Basically, you use some lawyers, funnel the fund through them and then client privilege protects you. NICE! You then send out educational stuff to the press, get your name in print, hold conferences and after a while you can start to quote all the press articles about you. All of a sudden you have exposure and stature and present yourself as an expert..EASY!)
Next thing that caught my eye is that the "professor' had been in private practice for 36 years and is now a professor of a somewhat dubious body that cannot bestow such titles.
Why do I say dubious. Because they have a membership of some 3500 of whom about 600 are physicians. BUT, the organization is NOT recognized by the the American Board of Medical Specialities which has 850,000 members and has been functioning since 1932. It is the premier Medical Body in America. You might as well appoint yourself as the Bishop of WOOP WOOP without being invested by the Pope.
I might be a cynical old *******, but I need a lot more than the word of a electrical engineer and self appointed professor come lipidologist before I regard them as authorities in anything but self serving promotional activities.

Its late in Oz, I'm off to bed - at my age I need my beauty sleep.

Toodles

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
So just a little update as I was at the Dr's yesterday; I have been logging my bs levels and showed the Doc, I still have spikes every now and again (i'm finding it hard to let go of full fat coke in my vodkas) but never go above 10, and they are usually back below 7 within a couple of hours. My Doc, wants me to monitor less and just go by the HbA1c results (which i wont have another one until July/August) insists I up my metformin from 2x500 to 3x500 per day. He also wants me to be eating more carbs and more fruit (the very things that I have shown him cause spikes).... I'm gonna keep to what he says about the meds just now, until i'm on point with my lchf diet. But overall i'm well happy, since being able to monitor myself, which is about a week, I can start to see what causes me to spike and by what degree... If i wasn't monitoring I would have no idea, and my levels would probably still be way above normal... Also its when i experiment with different carbs or amounts I see the biggest changes... a month ago my fasting used to be between 18-24 and now its between 5-7 so i cant grumble at all. I appreciate all the info/advice and support this forum gives because i know if i'd just followed the doctors wishes i would be no where near those levels at all, and i would be naive and not know any difference..
Well done you! I wonder what kind of evidence it would take for your doctor to admit, for what you are doing is yielding good results...it is there literally shouting on his face!....:rolleyes:
Never mind him...as long as you know what is going on AND feeling physically and mentally good about your life style's effects. ;)It is the quality of life that matters..how ever we individually measure it.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I guess I must be missing something guys. But just for safety I think I will stick with the qualified mob.
You are missing something. For safety's sake I'll stick with saturated fat and my excellent lipid profile.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm. I had not realized Credit Suisse were also medical researchers.

What Dr Malcolm Kendrick has to say on this

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2015/...ets-it-completely-one-hundred-per-cent-right/

"They have stripped apart the evidence on eating fats and saturated fats. They have come to exactly the same conclusions as I, and many others, have done. When they say:

There was no fundamental reason to move from butter to solvent extracted vegetable oils

That means, there was not one single scrap of evidence. Nothing, zip, nada, zero. So when you see various flower-like margarine manufactures promoting their products as super-healthy…. You know it is just the most complete nonsense."

Geoff

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Credit Suisse, also produced a ground breaking piece of research demonstrating the global economic burden from diabetes. From memory I believe it was around $50 billion net.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I had a look at the video and felt a sense of unease. Why in God's name is an electrical engineer lecturing about the heart etc.
He then introduces this dude called Thomas Dayspring, who is an Assistant Professor at some place that he (the engineer) has forgotten to display.Oh! and he labelled everything this Dayspring dude sent him as "my interpretation". Now I am really interested. I thought this Dayspring spoke English, so why the need to interpret.
It turns out that the good "Professor" is with an organization called "the Foundation for Health Improvement and Technology" which is funded by certain industries. (Foundations are very popular in America and also here in Australia - they are generally funded by dubious philanthropists who want their identity kept secret. The modus operandi is the same as the tobacco companies used and more recently the climate change deniers. Basically, you use some lawyers, funnel the fund through them and then client privilege protects you. NICE! You then send out educational stuff to the press, get your name in print, hold conferences and after a while you can start to quote all the press articles about you. All of a sudden you have exposure and stature and present yourself as an expert..EASY!)
Next thing that caught my eye is that the "professor' had been in private practice for 36 years and is now a professor of a somewhat dubious body that cannot bestow such titles.
Why do I say dubious. Because they have a membership of some 3500 of whom about 600 are physicians. BUT, the organization is NOT recognized by the the American Board of Medical Specialities which has 850,000 members and has been functioning since 1932. It is the premier Medical Body in America. You might as well appoint yourself as the Bishop of WOOP WOOP without being invested by the Pope.
I might be a cynical old *******, but I need a lot more than the word of a electrical engineer and self appointed professor come lipidologist before I regard them as authorities in anything but self serving promotional activities.

Its late in Oz, I'm off to bed - at my age I need my beauty sleep.

Toodles

I am very impressed.

So far, you have
- rejected recent dietary research in favour of outdated, discredited information used in national guidelines which are about 30 years out of date.
- rejected an independent evaluation, because it wasn't limited by inculcated dogma.
- thrown the baby out with the bathwater in a lecture describing a new and highly accurate way of detecting heart disease - a concern that you have stated is very personal to you.

I love it.
As examples of fixed, in-the-box thinking your posts are quite magnificent.

As so many have said, I wish you luck, but I will be selecting the option that allows me not to read any more of your posts. My life is being lengthened and made much healthier by new dietary information and evidence, but it is still too short to read any more of your posts.

Bye.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Credit Suisse, also produced a ground breaking piece of research demonstrating the global economic burden from diabetes. From memory I believe it was around $50 billion net.

Credit Suisse are investment managers.

They have identified a potential investment strategy, based on the popular press, and the trendy move towards saturated fats, and the premium cost associated with it.

The report basically says to buy fat, it's the latest niche in dieting.

They have done a good guide to artificial sweeteners, as sugar is seen to be losing favour, it doesn't tempt me to move back to diet drinks.

They also advise to say with all the blue chip pharmaceutical companies as a long term strategy, but that doesn't mean I'll be loading up on drugs. Although as you say, they do recommend that the latest diabetic drug producers will be enjoying a good market for the years to come.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Tell you what I'll ask my nephew what that's all about he is a director with Credit Suisse on wall street He may know some of the back ground info on that report I thought it was pretty good when I read it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tell you what I'll ask my nephew what that's all about he is a director with Credit Suisse on wall street He may know some of the back ground info on that report I thought it was pretty good when I read it.

They do some interesting ones, the 2013 one on sugar was interesting, (the fat is a follow on from that) and a 2010 one on water was worth a read, but their research publications are probably looking for trends in the market for over twenty years at least, so long term investment strategies.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/uk/en/about-us/research/research-institute/publications.html

But it will be interesting to see what his response is though.

Last edited by a moderator:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the fear about saturated fats is because of the assumption of what are good cholesterol numbers...

The latest CEPT inhibtor hit all the right notes...except it does not improve the endpoints. Which bags the question...why?

"Here we have a paradox. The drug more than doubled HDL and lowered LDL levels by as much as many statins, but had no effect on cardiac events," said Steve Nissen, M.D., chairman of Cardiovascular Medicine at Cleveland Clinic"
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-04/cc-eic033116.php

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
All the fear about saturated fats is because of the assumption of what are good cholesterol numbers...

The latest CEPT inhibtor hit all the right notes...except it does not improve the endpoints. Which bags the question...why?

"Here we have a paradox. The drug more than doubled HDL and lowered LDL levels by as much as many statins, but had no effect on cardiac events," said Steve Nissen, M.D., chairman of Cardiovascular Medicine at Cleveland Clinic"
I eat plenty of saturated fats and my lipid profile is fine. High HDL and low triglycerides. The cholesterol-heart disease has 2 links in the chain: 1. Dietary saturated fat and cholesterol causes you blood cholesterol to be out of wack and 2. the out of whack cholesterol causes heart disease. Neither is true. It is interesting, as you point out, non-statin cholesterol work great at improving your lipid profile, but do nothing to prevent heart disease.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My Doc, wants me to monitor less and just go by the HbA1c results (which i wont have another one until July/August) insists I up my metformin from 2x500 to 3x500 per day. .

??? That unfortunately shows how disconnected and clueless Dr can be.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks for that link Kok Hong!! Appreciate it.

:).."paradox"

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that link Kok Hong!! Appreciate it.

:).."paradox"
Yep, soooooo many paradoxes in epidemiology. In other words, it doesn't fit our hypothesis, therefore we'll ignore it and call it a "paradox".

Just like the huge study they did investigating cholesterol levels of heart attack hospital admissions and more than half had normal cholesterol levels ;)

And who could forget "the French paradox"?

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Credit Suisse are investment managers.

They have identified a potential investment strategy, based on the popular press, and the trendy move towards saturated fats, and the premium cost associated with it.

The report basically says to buy fat, it's the latest niche in dieting.

They have done a good guide to artificial sweeteners, as sugar is seen to be losing favour, it doesn't tempt me to move back to diet drinks.

They also advise to say with all the blue chip pharmaceutical companies as a long term strategy, but that doesn't mean I'll be loading up on drugs. Although as you say, they do recommend that the latest diabetic drug producers will be enjoying a good market for the years to come.

Credit Suisse are also extremely highly regarded underwriters of life risk markets, amongst other things. As a life underwiter, they have interests in the mortality and morbidity of our and other populations.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Credit Suisse are also extremely highly regarded underwriters of life risk markets, amongst other things. As a life underwiter, they have interests in the mortality and morbidity of our and other populations.

This was a document for general release to the public from their 'research' department.
I would imagine the underwriters will simply adjust premiums and annuities to maintain their profit on any risk they cover, and would maintain that information as commercially sensitive.

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, soooooo many paradoxes in epidemiology. In other words, it doesn't fit our hypothesis, therefore we'll ignore it and call it a "paradox".

Just like the huge study they did investigating cholesterol levels of heart attack hospital admissions and more than half had normal cholesterol levels ;)

And who could forget "the French paradox"?
not as good as the french connection though..:)