According to my consultant 2016

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The appointment went well, the discussion was excellent, the outcome over good (ish!)
Well, it's six months since my last appointment and I always look forward to discussing the ins and out of his latest research and how I fit into his findings.
The bad news, I've put a little weight on, yes, me! The one who was so sure, he was still losing it on my keto diet. Anyway he stated, that I must lose all that I've put on and more, we came to a sort of agreement, that I must eat less on all my small meals after going around the houses on my diet/lifestyle.
He asked if I was eating to much full fat, which surprised me a little. I didn't think so, was my reply.
I think I do need to cut down as I have noticed that my appetite has grown despite me not feeling hungry.
He did warn me about putting more weight on because of the visceral fat growth and that would build up to more insulin resistance and the circle would start again,. I don't want that.
He still agrees that my keto diet is best for me, just hovering around normal.
I told him no hypos, which he is really pleased with, he said that being in control is essential.
Then he got serious!
He asked why I had asked @Linagirl to get a referral to him, and explain my involvement with the forum and the reason why I'm continually trying to be helpful.
I told him honestly that I was convinced that there is not enough information about RH and the likelihood that there is more RH ers out there that just don't know why they are so ill and the frustration of diagnosis, and that he is a endocrinologist of some note, as to blood glucose disorders. I also told him it was he and his dietician that pointed me onto the forum. He was genuinely surprised that I had the resource to help people who have doctors and endocrinologists that don't recognise the condition, indeed, he gave me examples of senior and professors of endocrinology, who insist that RH is not a genuine condition.
He then suggested that because he has clinical trials in the pipeline, he would like volunteers, and would I post this, of course, I said!
He also would welcome any referrals from the forum and would be pleased for me to keep doing it!

We had a discussion on insulin and how it affects not only RH and other diabetic conditions and the use of my meds that more insulin is produced but the meds inhibit the glucagon levels and glycogen helping me not spike.
I told him about the syndrome I had found which mimicked RH, but without the hypos, to say he was interested, was a understatement. He asked me to email him on my findings! Go figure!
More discussion on insulin about how people get an insulin imbalance, before diabetes diagnosis. And his knowledge of how the curves of differential diagnosis and how graphs show different responses to glucose tests with different peaks and troughs for all differing types of blood glucose disorders.

There was a medical student from the local university and I think that our discussion went over her head.
She was genuinely surprised and interested in our relationship and how we discussed reactive hypoglycaemia.
She commented on how knowledgeable I was, and how I asked my personal questions, she said that she was going to study more about RH and other disorders.

Anyway, that was it! No tests, six months again, nowt else, except lose that weight.
Oh yeah, gone back up to nearly twelve stone!!

Reactions: 5 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a sticky on the reactive hypoglycaemia forum.
Which is a very good start if you want to understand our condition.
If you look in my signature box, third link down.

The nickname was rightly applied, at the time!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks @Brunneria.

But I don't think he could handle your list of idiosyncrasies!!!;)

Kaz261

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting Nosher and I'm very pleased it went well (apart from the weight).

I have so many questions. Volunteering for the clinical trials sounds tempting, but:

- did he say what would be involved? Is it just trials with medication or would tests be done etc?

- I assume it would require travel to The Royal Bolton hospital?

- Do you know if he sees patients privately or just NHS? I can't get a NHS referral as I've been given a diagnosis, but would happily consider paying for an hour of his time if he could provide more answers.

I wish all Endo's showed such interest in their patients and RH! Certainly sounds like you have a good one

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Very interesting Nosher and I'm very pleased it went well (apart from the weight).

I have so many questions. Volunteering for the clinical trials sounds tempting, but:

- did he say what would be involved? Is it just trials with medication or would tests be done etc?

- I assume it would require travel to The Royal Bolton hospital?

- Do you know if he sees patients privately or just NHS? I can't get a NHS referral as I've been given a diagnosis, but would happily consider paying for an hour of his time if he could provide more answers.

I wish all Endo's showed such interest in their patients and RH! Certainly sounds like you have a good one

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
He did say he will give me more details when it sorted, it is about meds!

I believe he is just NHS, but will ask!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria.

But I don't think he could handle your list of idiosyncrasies!!!;)

I know :(
I would be rejected for any studies because the prolactinoma would exclude me, i expect.

Besides, i would have to do the diagnosis process, 72 hr OGTT, :(

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, Did you know Sitagliptin has been trialed against a placebo? There was no advantage in improvement of NAFLD! But perhaps you take it for its other properties? atb. D.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher, Did you know Sitagliptin has been trialed against a placebo? There was no advantage in improvement of NAFLD! But perhaps you take it for its other properties? atb. D.

Yes I did know. It's not for my liver. It's to inhibit the glucagon/glycogen phase of digestion hence no spike high enough to give me hypos, but my diet does that anyway!
How are you anyway?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Nosher your Blogs are un-accesible!
Have you taken them down?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I did know. It's not for my liver. It's to inhibit the glucagon/glycogen phase of digestion hence no spike high enough to give me hypos, but my diet does that anyway!
How are you anyway?
Nosher - forgive the forever pedant in me, please.

If your diet is doing enough to negate the need for sitagliptin, why are you taking it, and why are you being prescribed it?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
At your third link, one gets

Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community - Error
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I have just tried the link and it went straight there!

The other way to get my blogs is to click on blogs at the top of the page.
Or go through the search button for 'a reactionary'.

Or could @Administrator help please!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher - forgive the forever pedant in me, please.

If your diet is doing enough to negate the need for sitagliptin, why are you taking it, and why are you being prescribed it?

To be honest it's a really good question.
I believe it has given me more control, then before I was taking the meds, I look it as a sort of insurance policy.
The other benefit is that if I don't eat my regular small meals throughout the day. Or I miss a meal, the hypo takes longer to occur.
Thanks for the interest!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I have just tried the link and it went straight there!

The other way to get my blogs is to click on blogs at the top of the page.
Or go through the search button for 'a reactionary'.

Or could @Administrator help please!
Retried @12.58 Mon : got

upload_2016-5-16_12-59-17.png

lindisfel

Expert
How are you anyway?
Hi Nosher,
I am ok but I get tired easily and don't have much energy but I'm 77 in june.
Been on holiday in Norfolk for a week and spent a night in hotel on way down and back.
It was an interesting experience eating low carb whilst travelling.
But my weight is stable at my target weight (BMI <23) and I'm now a scraggy old man! :)
Just wish I could get my GGT down..there may well be more to my problem than carbs!
Bloods to be taken next week for my routine T2D appointment.
atb
Derek
PS Can recommend the salad at the Pride of Lincoln, I had it topped with chicken breast x2, only £7 when my bro in law had a scampi and chips for £5. The salad+two chicken breasts was all I could eat. My better half chose something I wouldn't even look at.:) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher,
I am ok but I get tired easily and don't have much energy but I'm 77 in june.
Been on holiday in Norfolk for a week and spent a night in hotel on way down and back.
It was an interesting experience eating low carb whilst travelling.
But my weight is stable at my target weight (BMI <23) and I'm now a scraggy old man! :)
Just wish I could get my GGT down..there may well be more to my problem than carbs!
Bloods to be taken next week for my routine T2D appointment.
atb
Derek
PS Can recommend the salad at the Pride of Lincoln, I had it topped with chicken breast x2, only £7 when my bro in law had a scampi and chips for £5. The salad+two chicken breasts was all I could eat. My better half chose something I wouldn't even look at.:) :)

Sorry about you not being full of it!
Hope you crack it soon!
I use to blame my tiredness on age, but since my fasting test, my energy levels have been steady and good, except when I don't get a good night's sleep.
Are you getting enough? Sleep I mean!
Sleep deprivation is a killer for us.
Did you have a word with the chef at your hotel?
To make sure your food was cooked in good fats and served without baddies.
You can never be to careful.

Where is the Pride of Lincoln?

I had a wonderful piece of fish in Lincoln. Right near their football ground. Had to take most of the batter off of course.

It's good to get away from your kitchen for a day or so and experiencing different places.

Keep in touch mate, maybe you are getting T2, I was told that I would probably get it later on in life, but, I'm not worried cos @Brunneria has all the information and life experience of how to control it!

All the best mate, keep well!