Excellent cholesterol results on LCHF diet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since December I have had to increase my fats vastly in order to avoid further weight loss, having gone under my goal. And I mean vastly increase them. So I was awaiting my 6 month test with interest, and here it is:

Total cholesterol 5.3 down from 5.5
smiley.png

HDL 2.4 up from 2.2
smiley.png

LDL 2.6 down from 3.0
smiley.png

Trigs 0.62 very slightly up from 0.58
sad.png

TC/HDL ratio 2.2 down from 2.5
smiley.png

Non-HDL 2.9 down from 3.3
smiley.png

HbA1c a very small drop from 43 to 42, but at least it's a drop!

Reactions: 24 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done Bluetit, really well done. it may be a small drop but its heading in the right direction. YAY :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Safi

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats @Bluetit1802

I've also had to up my fats quite a bit so your results give me hope that it won't do anything untoward to my currently OK cholesterol :) I still struggle to get my head around the it's OK to eat fat thing no matter how much I read on it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats @Bluetit1802

I've also had to up my fats quite a bit so your results give me hope that it won't do anything untoward to my currently OK cholesterol :) I still struggle to get my head around the it's OK to eat fat thing no matter how much I read on it!

Me too, which is why I was delighted with my results. I started low carb with increased fats about 14 months ago, since when I've had 4 blood tests and on each one I have improved. Since December I have really upped the fats, so was a bit concerned, but all is well!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me three. Well done.
I'm a third of the way through a three-month test without statins and my cholesterol overall was 5.3 while I was on them so I'm apprehensive but comforted by stories such as yours.

Reactions: 4 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bluetit1802 says: HbA1c a very small drop from 43 to 42, but at least it's a drop! Do bear in mind that lab results are not exact, if you run exactly the same sample ten times you will get a scatter of results within the margin of error for that particular test so it is possible that your HbA1c may he been the same or marginally higher. There is no clinical significance in the drop and if the next result is marginally higher don't think that it is a worse result and worry about it. If it is lower again that is good but a rise of 1 or 2 units is nothing for that test

You results are great and you are obviously doing the right thing but I was just explaining so that if you do get a marginal rise next time you don't worry about it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bluetit1802 says: HbA1c a very small drop from 43 to 42, but at least it's a drop! Do bear in mind that lab results are not exact, if you run exactly the same sample ten times you will get a scatter of results within the margin of error for that particular test so it is possible that your HbA1c may he been the same or marginally higher. There is no clinical significance in the drop and if the next result is marginally higher don't think that it is a worse result and worry about it. If it is lower again that is good but a rise of 1 or 2 units is nothing for that test

You results are great and you are obviously doing the right thing but I was just explaining so that if you do get a marginal rise next time you don't worry about it.

Thanks for your input. I am well aware of the margin of error on HbA1c tests, which I believe is somewhere around plus or minus 4%, and can also be skewed if your red blood cells are a bit awry. My previous test may also have been marginally above or below the figure given, as may all my previous results. I can only go off the figures given, so I am accepting a small drop, and recognise there is still work to be done.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Very well done and well deserved @Bluetit1802 :)

More low-carb success and a great example of how eating fat doesn't impact negatively on cholesterol and lipid profiles.

Reactions: 4 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent results.

What sort of fats are you eating, and can I ask how many calories?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent results.

What sort of fats are you eating, and can I ask how many calories?

Thank you.

To answer your question I eat:
loads and loads of butter
cheese
cream
full fat yogurts
red meat - beef and lamb mainly
chicken but not the skin (don't like it)
eggs by the dozen
bacon
Real Mayonnaise by the bucket load
4 small tins of red salmon a week plus a chip shop fish x 1 (batter scraped off)
20 to 30g carbs, mostly nearer 20g.

Calories? I no longer count them. I was on around 1200 when I was losing weight but that was 18 months ago. I no longer need to count them and have no idea.

This is a resurrected old thread from last summer. I've had another test since then. Pleased to say my cholesterol/lipids are much the same except my trigs have gone down again. (0.54).

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you.

To answer your question I eat:
loads and loads of butter
cheese
cream
full fat yogurts
red meat - beef and lamb mainly
chicken but not the skin (don't like it)
eggs by the dozen
bacon
Real Mayonnaise by the bucket load
4 small tins of red salmon a week plus a chip shop fish x 1 (batter scraped off)
20 to 30g carbs, mostly nearer 20g.

Calories? I no longer count them. I was on around 1200 when I was losing weight but that was 18 months ago. I no longer need to count them and have no idea.

This is a resurrected old thread from last summer. I've had another test since then. Pleased to say my cholesterol/lipids are much the same except my trigs have gone down again. (0.54).

Keeping calories that low is good for me as well, it's when I raise them I see problems. :)
I think we have different definitions on loads of butter, and bucket loads of mayonnaise, a dozen eggs, etc, it could easily hit 5000 calories if I had that every day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Keeping calories that low is good for me as well, it's when I raise them I see problems. :)
I think we have different definitions on loads of butter, and bucket loads of mayonnaise, a dozen eggs, etc, it could easily hit 5000 calories if I had that every day.

I have 3 eggs a day, most days
I have 2 heaped tablespoons of mayo on my salads every day. I don't have any other salad dressings.
I have thick butter on my toasted Lidl half roll every day - not spread, just applied thickly. It melts. Plus we fry with butter and I add it to my veg.
I don't care how many calories I'm consuming because my weight has been completely stable for above 18 months. 1200 was good for me for weight loss.