Type 2 considering asking to go on insulin

Mars1946

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I wish you no ill but again your misconceptions about low carb is just wrong!
It is a lifestyle change that actually works!
It is not only for those who need to slim down, you can put on weight with low carb.
The key to low carbing is control of blood glucose levels.
If you can't tolerate carbs, which will send your levels high and remain there, it defeats the object of control, you really shouldn't have fluctuating blood glucose levels.
With low carb you don't get fluctuations. With low carbing you get control.
No control, you get diabetic complications.

It is as simple and straightforward as that.

Kindest regards![/QUOTE]

Dear friend
I understand your argumentation very good, but low-carb regime is not relevant for treatment of T2DM. On the onset of the T2DM, you can use low.carbo nutrition, but not for life.
The aim of T2DM treatment is to obtain the normal EUGLYCEMIA. (Medical Definition of euglycemia : a normal level of sugar in the blood).
A person with T2DM shod be on the same homeostasis as he has been before a disaster.
Nutrition shod be the same and the regulation of the hyperglycemia shod regulates with Insulin and Metformin. Metformin because insulin has impaired function on the hepar.
I do all that on my own and there are no problems to live the life as before.

Have a nice evening.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think i have worked out why Mars is not understanding us, and why he tells us he is right, and we are wrong.

He has found a way of eating (low GI) which works for him, while using insulin. That is a good thing.

Unfortunately, he seems to think that his narrow understanding and specific treatment pattern should apply to everyone, and wants to tell us all what is best for us, but this won't ever work - and is REALLY not a good thing - and could be harmful to several of us.

We all vary in our reactions to food, our medication needs, and our understanding of diet and nutrition, especially in view of recent diet and T2 research. He doesn't grasp the range and diversity of the Diabetic spectrum, and he wants us all to shut up and do what he says.

I think he is going to be disappointed. :)

(So folks, did i achieve the polite but pompous tone i was aiming for? :D:D:D)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think i have worked out why Mars is not understanding us, and why he tells us he is right, and we are wrong.

He has found a way of eating (low GI) which works for him, while using insulin. That is a good thing.

Unfortunately, he seems to think that his narrow understanding and specific treatment pattern should apply to everyone, and wants to tell us all what is best for us, but this won't ever work - and is REALLY not a good thing - and could be harmful to several of us.

We all vary in our reactions to food, our medication needs, and our understanding of diet and nutrition, especially in view of recent diet and T2 research. He doesn't grasp the range and diversity of the Diabetic spectrum, and he wants us all to shut up and do what he says.

I think he is going to be disappointed. :)

(So folks, did i achieve the polite but pompous tone i was aiming for? :D:D:D)
Perfectly.

I suppose with all the insulin he is taking I could eat a lot more too. I like to keep my doses low as you know. I wonder how much fluctuation he has?

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think the count for individual diabetic success stories from this site is somewhere near 10,000, correct me if I'm wrong.
That's across the many different labels that come under the diverse conditions known as diabetes, of which everyone of them is different and individual.

However, the one thing that joins us all, is that low carb, has worked for us!
Regardless of where we come from and what type of doctor, we achieve euglycaemia.
And good health!.

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How come I get no answer to my statements as a type 2 on insulin who is actually lowering their insulin on a low carb diet @Mars1946
Why no responce to facts in my Case?
My BS are definitely in normal range for the first time in over 5 years??

Reactions: 3 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a thought....maybe they both have the potential to be successful approaches?

The general trade off is that you can (potentially) reduce your medication through a low carb diet. Many people on this forum felt that was a rewarding decision, but plenty of other people don't mind medication if it means they can enjoy all good groups. Aside from this forum, I have yet to meet another diabetic who follows the low-carb approach (type 1 or type 2).

Is a low-carb diet sustainable for life? Scientifically, yes. Is it the "Best" approach? That's subjective.

Lifestyle and culture plays a huge role in which makes more sense. When I'm at home, it's easy for me to follow a low-carb approach because I can cook for myself. When I'm traveling, I follow a calorie-restrictive diet because I have to choose from what is available.

With a low-carb diet, my insulin needs are 1/3rd what they are otherwise, but there's not a big lifestyle difference between 5 injections a day and 7-9 and a 1unit correction versus 3.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi guys, just a little nudge, but do you think the OP should be attempting to use insulin, or trying low carb as a different approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess the bottom line is we all have our own individual comfort zones. I don't want to inject 7-9 times or take 3 units correction doses. Nor do I follow the GI/ GL index. Nor do I eat carbs. I eat food to live not live to eat. Do I love food? All. I just like great stable bs better. Nasty disease as we all know but we pick our own battles. What works for one might not work for another. Minimizing meds may be more important than the food for some people and vice versa. At the end of the day....to each his own. However, we ALL know the lower the carbs the lower the blood sugar. We can take and do with that what we want.......just saying....