Lost Control

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday, I lost control of my lchf intake. I don't know what came over me. The morning was fine but from noon to 7pm, I went off piste and ate a lot. When I say a lot, I mean a lot!

Has anyone else done this? What sort of reaction did you have? Was there a reason why you did it? I am trying to understand why I did it.

Reactions: 2 people

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes we just do!

I've done it and I'm sure most here have. Personally I just accept it and move on - generally after doing it I'm good for ages. If I mess up a couple of times in a week (rare) then I just give myself a talking to and look at my BG which reminds me why I try to be LCHF. It's not always only about the food - sometimes out psychology comes in to play. Mood, environment etc. We're diabetic not perfect. If I dwell on a bad day I'm in danger of going into "sod it" mode and eating all kinds of junk!

Reactions: 8 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep done that, I ate McDonalds this weekend. If you can tell yourself deep down that you are following LCHF 95% of the time I've learnt you shouldn't beat yourself up. No-one is perfect, jump back on the LCHF track and you will be fine.

As @seanj67 says my BG numbers soon knock some sense into me!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 10 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Just ask my wife about the whole bar of Lindt 90%, that disappeared in 24 hours...mr nobody nibbled it continuously through out the day and wondered why his BG was 7.2 the following morning. Personally I think Mr Nobody had a lucky escape:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 12 people

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Today, I am back on the LCHF way again. I'm off abroad tomorrow, so it will be a definite learning curve to see what I can eat.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I was waylaid by chocolate yesterday and today, it coincidentally it went hand in hand with getting my date for surgery that I'm not particularly looking forward too, but tomorrow is another day and I'm determined to shift back into gear with the diet plan.

Sometime you have to accept, forgive and move on.:facepalm:

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
If I am hungry and pass a bakery I can hardly resist. Sometimes I just give in and have a bit of lovely new bread. Life is for living after all. Then I get back on the lchf plan and I live to tell the tale.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I went to a festival last weekend and part of the fun for me and the family is eating exotic food from the food stalls. I looked around and couldn't find anything low carb and then there was all the gorgeous real ale, and I thought - I'm here, now having a great time and I could work hard to keep it low - or just eat the stuff and drink the lovely beer on a warm summery day and have an even better time. I did, however, dance like a mad thing for sustained periods of time, so burnt off a lot of them.

Reactions: 5 people

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yesterday had 120 gram bar of Cadbury's with daim, in about 3 minutes, BG went from about 5.0 to 10.0 over 2-3 hours. Back on track now though..........these things happen.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh my goodness I went to my nieces 30th birthday party last night replete with marquee and full soul band...flippin hec they were good:)

But the food.....ooooo.....I just sat under the evening sun, munched through 3 rounds of roasted lamp, with salad and avacado.....no sins....except the quantity....:)

Reactions: 4 people

hornseagirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just ask my wife about the whole bar of Lindt 90%, that disappeared in 24 hours...mr nobody nibbled it continuously through out the day and wondered why his BG was 7.2 the following morning. Personally I think Mr Nobody had a lucky escape:)

Lindt 90% is my guilty secret and only has 14 carbs the whole bar , I allow myself 4 squares a day.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lindt 90% is my guilty secret and only has 14 carbs the whole bar , I allow myself 4 squares a day.

I know it's amazing.

I found Lindt 99% this week - only 8 g per 100g which means a bar at 50g is just 4g.

I bought 5 as the only place I found it in Cambridge is a garden centre some miles away.

I've started my first bar and it is very concentrated, but getting used to it and think I can stick with this and no guilt at all:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

2/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 120/72, 11st 11lbs, waist 30" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

5/6/16: Two BP readings now 112/64 & 112/66 :)

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some cheese topped baps yesterday to put in the freezer for hubby but decided to have one for lunch filled with bacon, lettuce and tomato. I decided to use it as an experiment and was 5.2 pre lunch, 8.0 at 1 hour, 7.5 at 2 hour and 5.7 at 21/2 hours so not too bad a result!

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I get a carb craving I try fat first and have been known to swig double cream out of the pot standing by the open fridge...
My guilty convenience crapola food is MacDonald's Chicken Selects with diet Coke. It's evil, it's poisonous, it makes me happy, now and then.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I get a carb craving I try fat first and have been known to swig double cream out of the pot standing by the open fridge...
I had this idea as well... then it turned into a quarter of a cream pot and half a jar of peanut butter :( Still not too carby (BG tipped at 6.8) but not OK for continuing my battle with excess weight!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If we're talking spoonfuls straight out of the jar, then my ultimate temptation is Nutella!!! Just too got!!! I could eat a good-sized jar all in one sitting, well, usually standing having that 'just one more spoonful' before putting it back in the cupboard. Yes, you guessed... It never got back to the cupboard! :( Oops!

Now, I don't buy chocolate bars, nor Nutella ... ;)

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I am hungry and pass a bakery I can hardly resist. Sometimes I just give in and have a bit of lovely new bread. Life is for living after all. Then I get back on the lchf plan and I live to tell the tale.
bread is my down fall. Can't stand supermarket or chain store bread but I cannot resist the local bakery. Store bought may cost 50p to a £1 but the local multigrain and at £2.30 is really value for money and soooooooooooooo yummmmmy. PS I do buy cheap supermarket bread but that is to feed the birds and I do feel guilty about it.