What to eat?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wheat and all grains make me extremely insulin resistant as well. They have been off my menu for years, even before diabetes

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher,
Some very interesting comments towards the end of the Prof Tim Noakes video.
http://www.lowcarbdownunder.com.au/tim-noakes-video/
Some claims that dementia could be tied up with wheat in the gut causing problems for insulin resistant.
regards
Derek

It certainly did it to me, as well as the rest of the carbs.
At one time i would have never have believed I needed some carbs to be in really good health. Especially mentally!
The contentious issue is how much?
I have found that it's not very much!
But that's weirdo me!

Understanding how control is vital for our mental health as well as our bodies health!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher,
Some very interesting comments towards the end of the Prof Tim Noakes video.
http://www.lowcarbdownunder.com.au/tim-noakes-video/
Some claims that dementia could be tied up with wheat in the gut causing problems for insulin resistant.
regards
Derek
For those who have insulin resistance and also have a certain amount of hyperinsulinaemia, the lack of glucose in the blood causes mental issues and problems. Wheat will cause more insulin into the blood because of insulin resistance into an overloaded system. If you have gluten intolerance or any other metabolic conditions that causes Hypoglycaemia, then that's why we need to avoid hypos, due to the lack of glucose.
I believe that's why the docs would rather have T1s hyper than hypo!
Also why many T1s suffer depression and anxiety!
And that is the reason we keep seeing and reading and more often than not told to eat complex carbs. But through mine and others experience, a very low carb diet will be sufficient to satisfy our bodies glucose needs!
That's my thoughts on the reason.
Best wishes.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, please explain
What does RH stand for?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
RH = reactive hypoglycaemia

It is where too many carbs causes an excessive insulin reaction which results in a hypo.
It only happens to some people, but it is largely unrecognised by the medical profession, and when it IS recognised, there is little treatment for it, except avoiding the carbs that cause the problem... :)

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a bad morning today & yesterday was up & down. I'm putting it down to drinking beer on Saturday night. Would you agree? It was low carb beer but alcohol surely messes with BF?

Also I've got some protein powder which is practically zero carb. Would that be ok to take as a snack for instance?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Alcohol from the night before generally gives me a low fasting but I only drink spirits with water or red wine so not lots of carbs.
Beer might be different
I have heard protein powder spikes people but something for you to test. I am one who spikes with protein

I see your signature says you don't have diabetes?
What were your up and down numbers?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'm in the process of searching the web for how anxiety is causing so much mental health problems and its care.
Having had really bad anxiety at the height of my hypo hell period.
I still get my decision making function button mysteriously missing once in a while.
It's funny because my decision making Is so good when taking sports training and through matches!
I will probably write a blog about my findings once I get a day off!
Then again I might not!
Ok yes I will!

Second thoughts, it might be stupid of me to attempt such an undertaking!

I just don't know, maybe!

Doooo it, doooo it.... (Slow hand clap speeding up to)...DO IT! DO IT!...DO IT!

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Reactions: 2 people

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Alcohol from the night before generally gives me a low fasting but I only drink spirits with water or red wine so not lots of carbs.
Beer might be different
I have heard protein powder spikes people but something for you to test. I am one who spikes with protein

I see your signature says you don't have diabetes?
What were your up and down numbers?

Bit of a school boy error but I've ran out of lances so I can't test my BS. Just wondered if alcohol would mess with it or not & if anyone had any experience with protein powder.

I'll be sure to test myself next time I drink some protein & alcohol once my lances have arrived. Thanks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bit of a school boy error but I've ran out of lances so I can't test my BS. Just wondered if alcohol would mess with it or not & if anyone had any experience with protein powder.

I'll be sure to test myself next time I drink some protein & alcohol once my lances have arrived.

Yes, alcohol will mess up with your blood glucose levels.
Especially beers and grain alcohols. Hear that some wines are ok and some spirits.
But they will interfere with your liver as well.
Personally, I have to steer clear of them all!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Had a bad morning today & yesterday was up & down. I'm putting it down to drinking beer on Saturday night. Would you agree? It was low carb beer but alcohol surely messes with BF?

Also I've got some protein powder which is practically zero carb. Would that be ok to take as a snack for instance?

I've tried most protein shakes and ALL spike me, more than I'm happy to recover from.
Protein whey is worse.

Wrights83

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

To be honest I did drink quite a few. Lesson learnt & next time I have a drink I'll test myself & also with the protein powder

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It certainly did it to me, as well as the rest of the carbs.
At one time i would have never have believed I needed some carbs to be in really good health. Especially mentally!
The contentious issue is how much?
I have found that it's not very much!
But that's weirdo me!

Understanding how control is vital for our mental health as well as our bodies health!
I have similiar experience. I also experienced the shakes when I had this feeling. My meter said no hypo, not even by a little.
I was having too low a low carb diet. Dizziness and fatigue, with no energy for exercise. I didn't realise it was too much protein too, so no weight loss.
I was suffering anxiety with panic attacks. I wasn't coping very well with stress.
Myself I had never experience panic attacks for decades.
Your posts are reminding me of those opposite days which were student days. Ate poorly as was totally skint. Dried pasta boiled with garlic concentrate on for flavour. Jacket potatoes, plain to just fill me up. I was still overweight. Carbs, for you. I never had mental health problems on too many carbs but definitely on too low carb diet. I too have to get it just right.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have to get it just right. I have tried different macros but always, for years wind up 5/15/80. I need a few veggies at all meals and more plant fat than animal/ fish fat. Again with the stinking avocado lol. It just amazing the way it fuels me

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me, just meat and a bit of salad veg and I'm great!

Crazy and weird ain't it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, just meat and a bit of salad veg and I'm great!

Crazy and weird ain't it.

So you don't need much fat? I think I need the fat most to slow the insulin injection and stop the initial hypo. But I have always loved mayo.
My staple veggies are celery and a radish to dip in guac and there's a pinch of onion and scallion in the guac. I also have lettuce wraps but starting to see a trend of lettuce spiking me. Now that's weird!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So you don't need much fat? I think I need the fat most to slow the insulin injection and stop the initial hypo. But I have always loved mayo.
My staple veggies are celery and a radish to dip in guac and there's a pinch of onion and scallion in the guac. I also have lettuce wraps but starting to see a trend of lettuce spiking me. Now that's weird!

Yep, that's definitely weird!
I've never ate much full fat, just natural fat off meat.
I can't do dairy, except full fat yoghurt sometimes, a little for breakfast and at night before bed and that's only in the last couple of years!
I don't eat a lot of nuts or go mad with a lot of veg!
I love mushrooms, onions, tomatoes fried in goose fat! Really nice!
I have upped my black pudding since I found it does nothing to my bloods at all!
A lot of eggs, a lot of salad and meat, that's me!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't do dairy, except full fat yoghurt sometimes, a little for breakfast and at night before bed and that's only in the last couple of years!
I have upped my black pudding since I found it does nothing to my bloods at all!
Confirmed again dairy makes me insulin resistant. Had a few bites at a party yesterday, less than an ounce, and popped up and insulin isn't doing its thing as usual. Again, one bad meal equals 3 bad days. I don't think it will be three but annoying anyway.
I too love mushrooms and onions. I eat a few pistachios and a few pinches of pumpkin seeds but nuts can make me IR as well so I limit them.
I too don't go mad with veg but I do need some with each meal.

What is black pudding????

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Confirmed again dairy makes me insulin resistant. Had a few bites at a party yesterday, less than an ounce, and popped up and insulin isn't doing its thing as usual. Again, one bad meal equals 3 bad days. I don't think it will be three but annoying anyway.
I too love mushrooms and onions. I eat a few pistachios and a few pinches of pumpkin seeds but nuts can make me IR as well so I limit them.
I too don't go mad with veg but I do need some with each meal.

What is black pudding????