Welcome to the Vegetarian/Vegan Forum

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We just bought ourselves a tofu press and the difference between the end product and shop bought tofu is amazing! Best thing we did.

We marinade for a few hours (6 -8) then roast to produce a chewier texture. Despite all the recipe books, frying isn't obligatory.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

We just bought ourselves a tofu press and the difference between the end product and shop bought tofu is amazing! Best thing we did.

We marinade for a few hours (6 -8) then roast to produce a chewier texture. Despite all the recipe books, frying isn't obligatory.
Our press is small enough to fit in the fridge so is more hygienic and safer for the cat than balancing random stuff on top of it.

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that's next on my shopping list! I've done a quick Google and can see a few variations - Do you have any recommendations?

(Although I have a feeling if I mention I want one, my husband will get his toolbox out!) (Not a euphemism!)

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a wee note. Avocado's lovely looking press appears to be designed to press shop bought unpressed tofu. The one I linked to will make fresh tofu from soya milk. If you just want a press then Avocado's looks really nice but if you want to make from the raw ingredients then I think you might need something more.

We make our own soya milk and then mix with nigari to create curds that can be pressed into tofu. The whole process takes about 4 hours to make 750g

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We were very nervous when we first did it, but it was very easy. The secret (as with most things) is go slow. The instructions say to press for an hour but we read that a firmer texture can be achieved by doing it for 3. We also chose to make our own soya milk which added time to the process, but you could just as easily use carton soya
although I'm not too sure what it would taste like.

The difference in quality and taste for me has been astronomically better. Having said that, I think a quality press attacking a decent shop tofu would be a close thing.

The main reason we do it us because we wanted the natural traditional tofu so the main fun for us comes in the making of it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

We were very nervous when we first did it, but it was very easy. The secret (as with most things) is go slow. The instructions say to press for an hour but we read that a firmer texture can be achieved by doing it for 3. We also chose to make our own soya milk which added time to the process, but you could just as easily use carton soya
although I'm not too sure what it would taste like.

The difference in quality and taste for me has been astronomically better. Having said that, I think a quality press attacking a decent shop tofu would be a close thing.

The main reason we do it us because we wanted the natural traditional tofu so the main fun for us comes in the making of it.
Thanks :) This is the method I have just been reading http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-your-own-tofu/ We have a Dutch oven and a redundant jam thermometer already so should give it a try on a rainy day. I like the idea of being able to use dried beans (in case of zombie apocalypse etc)

By the way, did you see a report about moths on the news the other day? They could wipe the cauliflower crop this year :eek:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
o .. just read this out to the wife about the tofu ... who's not the biggest fan of tofu ... sadly .. she look at the kits and said ... well I could paint the outside of the cottage with it :banghead:
Just sometimes I remember why I married her :angelic:

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eek! Now I have a dilemma because I adore moths .. and cauliflower!! I guess it explains why they are so expensive this year. Oh well, my vote is let you the moths feast. They have given me years of pleasure and hundreds of photographs, so it's about time they demanded payback

The recipe you found is spot on, though please don't throw away the okara!!!! It is tasteless but has huge nutrient value. We make burgers with the okara as a breadcrumb coating substitute. All you do with the soggy okara pulp is spread it on a baking sheet and treat it like breadcrumbs. The wet okara only lasts for a day or two but dried it will keep for 3 months.

You can also add it to casseroles to bump up the nutrient value too.

Reactions: 2 people

PurpleArmadillo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Really tempted to give the tofu making a try. Can you easily alter the texture, as I mostly use it for cheesecakes and dips right now, so smooth and easily blended is the priority.

And while we're on making stuff from scratch does anyone make their own yogurt? I like the idea of it, but wondering how well it works with soya, coconut or almond milk

Pink_Minx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, @Avocado Sevenfold - that's the one I had my eye on when I did a search. I like that you can use it to marinate it as well.

@Welshman1952 - wow, I've never thought of making my own! I doff my cap to you!

I like to rub a tiny bit of olive oil onto cubes of tofu, then dust it with smoked paprika and grill it. I can't understand why people have a problem with tofu - it's so versatile!

@PurpleArmadillo - there's a thread somewhere on the Food and Nutrition forum (I think) where people were talking about making CoYo rather than emptying their purses to buy the original. I haven't been brave enough to try it yet, though!

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PurpleArmadillo our home-made you is really firm. I would argue its about the consistency of Cauldron firm tofu (after pressing) and would definitely be great for cheesecake.

We also make our own yoghurt with soya milk. I can't talk about a almond milk as I have a violent reaction to almonds. Never tried the coconut milk, but I guess it would be fine. Our soya yoghurts come out really thick so they can easily have things added to them afterwards. You might find them a little tart and need to add a little Stevia.

Both are pretty easy to don't be put off

Reactions: Serena51

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... does anyone make their own yogurt? I like the idea of it, but wondering how well it works with soya, coconut or almond milk

I started making my own yoghurt from scratch back in the 1970s and on-and-off have done it ever since then. But I've never tried it with anything other than cow's milk - and would like to. I like soya yoghurt a lot (as well as appreciating its lower carb value), and can't often get it around where I live, except at top prices. So I'd be interested to hear of anyone's experiences of making it before I try it. I use an unsweetened soya milk regularly, and can just experiment, I guess.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
I would like to say I think that most people who Vegan probably have great control over their sugars (as long as they are not drinking their sugars).
I used to be on 50 units a day of Long Acting Insulin and after I had my Appendix removed I decided well lets start to really experiment with diet.
Basically, what I found was cutting out meat helped a little, but removing dairy from my diet helped the greatest. I started juicing (mainly vegetables) cooking vegetables more and more.
I noticed after a while I could sustain my sugars by only 20 units a day, anything more generally put me in Hypo.

Now I have changed my diet a bit - but I must say the Vegan way is definitely great. I had better sleep, felt refreshed and had more energy.
When I say I have changed my diet I am no longer pure vegan, but from months of experimenting I now eat meat no more than twice a week (organic) I still stay away from dairy quite a bit, but I must admit Mozzarella is great ;)

Anyway, just thought I would share a short story here with you all, and I am sorry I am no longer 100% Vegan but 95% :)

Reactions: deborabaratto

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
... I am no longer pure vegan, but from months of experimenting I now eat meat no more than twice a week (organic) I still stay away from dairy quite a bit, ... I am no longer 100% Vegan but 95% :)

Hope this isn't seen as nit-picking, but I don't honestly think that if you east ANY meat or cheese you can kid yourself your diet is any percentage of vegan. Vegan means vegan. Vegetarian means vegetarian. I had periods of my life when I was one, and other periods when I was the other. Now, I eat some of all everything but overall, those periods have had a permanent influence on the types of foods I prefer. But it doesn't help the vegans and vegetarians of this world at all if you stretch the meaning of those words to cover people who eat meat and cheese. I think it's a sort of disrespecting.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@JenniferW Nailed it. Similar to pregnancy in my mind. You cannot be "a bit pregnant". You either are or you aint.

Hi @Brit90 When I stopped dairy I felt an immediate positive effect. Blood glucose improved plus my fingers shrunk within days making my rings looser. Perhaps it was an inflammation thing. Perhaps the stress of inflammation made my blood glucose higher. A welcome side effect whatever was happening! :)