1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Welcome to the Vegetarian/Vegan Forum

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Administrator, Nov 22, 2015.

1. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi Martie, the analogue Insulins that you have been provided (and that the majority of people are given) with are grown using bacteria and yeast in a manufacturing plant and not extracted from animals. I'd consider them suitable for vegetarians.

If I'm honest, and not trying to be funny, you need to carefully consider what you mean by "suitable for vegetarians" as while you state you are a really strict vegetarian, if you were to determine that the way insulin is made didn't fall into your views, and you stopped taking it, there is no alternative, so the consequences would ultimately be death.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Martie_Warin

Martie_Warin Type 1 · Newbie

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for reassuring me that my insulin is indeed suitable to my dietary requirements, but thanks much more for telling me something that under no circumstances would I have already thought about. I don't mean to be funny either, T1D and morals are no laughing matter I'm T1D positive!

Martie,

3. alexmtaylor

alexmtaylor Type 1 · Member

• Like Like x 1
    #63 alexmtaylor, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. alexmtaylor

alexmtaylor Type 1 · Member

The yummiest way to use tofu! I use xylitol instead of maple syrup. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/vegan-chocolate-pots/

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mezzomario

mezzomario MODY · Member

hello guys, i am newbie and i am vegeterian

6. Welshman1952

Welshman1952 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ummm .. I've been away for a few months and it looks like all the Veegs have poofed! Are you still here or is it just me waving my berry smoothy with soya milk

7. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m new

Been T1 for twenty years and have recently had to stop eating mammal and bird meat as well as cow dairy due to becoming allergic to them. So I’m now reluctantly following a mostly plant based diet. I can eat fish and eggs, but eat vegan when I’m away from home for safety reasons.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2 and had to make changes when I developed hyperuricemia (which causes attacks of gout), and didn't respond well to various medications. In other words, the diet changes I made have been more than many people with the condition find they need to. Like you, I've excluded meat and fish, and beans and pulses are also on the list of foods I avoid, so lots of veggie meals are also out. Thank heavens for eggs! And I'm lucky that milk and cheese are OK for me. But it's hard!

9. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I love eggs, but if I eat too many I becone rather... “egg bound”

10. Suffolk gal

Suffolk gal · Active Member

Hi, I'm almost a newbie on here. I've been living on veg, fruit and cheese for over 60 years. I was therefore shocked to be diagnosed type 2, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I'm now eating less fruit and even more veg. I'm allergic to eggs and quorn. I'm looking forward to getting ideas for different good food here.

11. Scimama

Scimama Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi @Suffolk gal Welcome to the forum, I think diagnosis comes as a shock to many people. I am a lifelong veggie, not obese, excellent blood pressure and low cholesterol but still T2 (I believe genetics played n enormous part).

There are some great ideas for meals on the forum, including a list with links https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

keep scrolling down as there are lots of links

the dietdoctor website also has some great vegetarian low carb and keto recipes. The dietdoctor site also has great visual guide to carb content of vegetables.

Have you access to a meter to test how your body reacts to food and which spike your blood sugar?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook