So is Exercise bad for you

Miketyson2007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and like many others have a massive BG rise after exercise .
I go for a 30 min run everyday and have recently checked my levels before and after the run.
Today I was 7 pre run and 17 an hour after the run .
So my question is should I stop running as if I'm spiking at 17 every day surely this is doin long term damage to me .
If I sit around and don't run in the morning my levels won't increase as dramatically.
Very confused carrying on running or not ...HELP

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say keep going, it is probably a short spike and is healthy for you in the long run.

I did my husband's training class on Sunday (been avoiding it like the plague) but gave it a go and really enjoyed, just couldn't stand up or sit down for the next couple of days - so in answer to "Is exercise bad for you" I would have to say yes! It hurts like hell! :eek::hungover:;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When doing any form of exercise, once you get out of the aerobic zone and into the anaerobic zone, stress hormones tend to kick in and cause a glucose release from the liver @Miketyson2007 .

If you exercise at below 30% of VO2 Max, then you are more likely to stay in the aerobic zone and less likely to see this occur. VO2 max increases as you become fitter. What it might be worth doing is fast walking rather than running to build up your VO2 threshold and as that improves, build up to more running. Keep an eye on your blood glucose levels as you do this.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, keep going, build it up, as your fitness improves, your insulin sensitivity should also improve, so you'll use the glucose release properly.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the same issues. Sky rocketing. I love yoga but sends me through the roof. As a t1 it doesn't come back down without extra insulin. For now exercise is on hold. I know it has other health advantages but the high BS isn't good for me. Mentally or physically. This of course is just my opinion and what I'm comfortable with. I just stay active and hope that'll be enough....at least for now

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
anaerobic exercise (such as five a side football) spike my blood sugar, but aerobic exercise such as running lowers it. If you're getting a massive spike, it may be that you're running too fast and pushing yourself into the anaerobic zone. I find that keeping my speed under 9kph is best for me (I'be only recently started running) and my blood sugar

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Warming down steadily for at least a good 10 mins could start to nudge you back downwards.

I spike after swimming and running, but am finding this helps if I don't want to boost my pump basal rate for hours afterwards (I'm t1).

:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have added when I was T2 a slow to moderate walk always lowered me. As snapsy suggested possibly a slow walk after will help. Worth a shot

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Run @Miketyson2007 run (to steal a quote from Forrest Gump). Combating diabetes requires exercise - they say half an hour 5 times a week of moderate exercise I think. As your BG come down it will level out. I used to spike quite a lot but it is all calmer now. Just don't stop, it's going to help you get your control.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to admit since diagnosis, I have increase the level, frequency and intensity of exercise. I am back out running on the road. I just don't bother to check my BG after, lest it puts me off. I have a satisfying warm glow if I push myself, and don't feel unwell in any way

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there,

You might find this movie helpful - it explains why exercise is so beneficial and what it does within your body (the movie covers the basics of carbs first - but keep watching)
Keep up the running :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exercise is essential. Finding the right exercise can be a bit of a challenge. After 25yrs type1 I've found that what works 1yr doesn't work the next. Nothing more annoying than thinking you're doing good for a bg reading to shatter your glory. Stick at it and it generally works out ok just don't let being diabetic stop you doing what matters to you

Reactions: 4 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I am type 2 and like many others have a massive BG rise after exercise .
I go for a 30 min run everyday and have recently checked my levels before and after the run.
Today I was 7 pre run and 17 an hour after the run .
So my question is should I stop running as if I'm spiking at 17 every day surely this is doin long term damage to me .
If I sit around and don't run in the morning my levels won't increase as dramatically.
Very confused carrying on running or not ...HELP
Hi @Miketyson2007 , glad you asked this question, as the answers have helped me no end. Yesterday I did an uphill walk of about an hour and measured 9.4 when I got home. I did the same walk but took 30 mins longer last week and recorded 6.5. I puffed a bit yesterday so maybe the lesson is take it slower.
Next thing to find out is if running can lower a high reading?

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My answer is yes and no, if you can taper those peaks and troughs quickly as soon as they occur this will be better for your micro/macro vascular health. Untreated post exercise or post prandial hypers are where the damage is caused.

However, the problem with glucose variability is that it causes more oxidative stress which is bad. Minimise if possible where you can. From my experience I'll always have some variability if exercising or not, learning how to manage that is the difficult part.

And yes exercise is bad for you, I shattered my tibia and fibula in my left leg 7 years back hiking, so yes exercise is bad. Won't stop me exercising though :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

mfactor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this may sound counterintuitive ,but I was having the same problem after lifting and tried different things and searched the net and found an article about having a "few" carbs before exercise and that this would lower levels "after" exercise, to my surprise it worked .

It might not work for everyone but worth a try, you never know. :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know this may sound counterintuitive ,but I was having the same problem after lifting and tried different things and searched the net and found an article about having a "few" carbs before exercise and that this would lower levels "after" exercise, to my surprise it worked .

It might not work for everyone but worth a try, you never know. :)

Have you tried eating something else zero carb - so say a protein snack before exercise to see if this helps? I would be interested to know if it has the same, worse or possibly even better result?