Status
Not open for further replies.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Admin Disclaimer

"For the most part, this post comprises anecdotal information. Many diabetics, not only on this forum, but all over the world, have found low carb to be the best way to control diabetes.
Before making any major changes to your diet, please consult your GP and/or dietician – there may be medical reasons as to why you are unable to follow a low carb diet.
Please also keep in mind that this diet isn’t suitable for everyone, and the guidelines in this thread are simply here to help you make more informed decisions regarding your food intake and the way you manage your blood glucose.
If you have Type 1 Diabetes: whilst there is not necessarily a medical reason that you cannot follow a low carb diet, please only do so after consulting with your GP and/or dietician. This is due to the fact that you may need to make changes to your insulin usage whilst low carbing."
All of that is writen with a microscopic letter

I ask:

Why it is not accepted from the Forum Staff criticism about Low-Carb diet?

Is it because off the commercial consideration?

Is it wrong the people shod know the consequences of extreme lov-carb diet?

Why you remove the threads who debate that?

There are many "WHY"

Last edited by a moderator:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't get yourself so worked up about it mate

This is only a small insignificant forum. In the grand scheme of things nothing posted on here matters one iota.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Is it wrong the people shod know the consequences of extreme lov-carb diet?

Why you remove the threads who debate that?
You have received a PM about this Luna. In response to your first comment I've quoted though, there are rather a lot of people on the forum that have reduced or removed complications as a result of a very low carb diet. There are also some that have seen issues. Dr Bernstein himself advocates very low carb to do so, so you will need to demonstrate what you mean by consequences with evidence.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I've seen no evidence of what you suggest personally - there is some criticism of the low carb diet here - it doesn't work for everyone, there is currently not the level of evidence about it that would be ideal, but then neither is there for the usual high-carb / low fat diet that doctors all over are still recommending.

I don't see people's negative posts about it being removed.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The consequences of my exteme low carb diet is fantastic blood sugars and renewed health. I need not say more....other than never going back to the old ways

Reactions: 2 people

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We need and should expect challenging and informative posts that take an alternative viewpoint.

What we don't need are posters who resort to "trolling" behaviour if their posts are also challenged.

I don't think anyone here should be against an alternative opinion, and we should all be open to debating the issues and using good research and proven facts to make our arguments.

The only posts that are "censored" on this site are those that break the rules as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You have received a PM about this Luna. In response to your first comment I've quoted though, there are rather a lot of people on the forum that have reduced or removed complications as a result of a very low carb diet. There are also some that have seen issues. Dr Bernstein himself advocates very low carb to do so, so you will need to demonstrate what you mean by consequences with evidence.

Hi Tim
I do not agree wit you. All of you speak of the positive effects on the lowering the glucose in the BG. It is truth, but it is the only one side of the results. All of you forget or do not know the second consequence of the diet.
I write about the extreme low-carb as some one say 5 to 10 gram carbohydrate per day.
This kind of diet can be fatal especially for diabetics.

If this "doctor" Bernsein has been a real doctor then he will newer accept the diet with 5 to 10 gr./day carbs.If the person eats to mush lipids and very low amount of carbohydrates, then the liver mobilise FA's (Fatty acids) from the adipose tissues and the mitochondrial beta-oxidation in the liver will produces to mush ROS (the Reactive Oxygen Species) that are a very injurious to one's health, because they attack the cells membranes.The blood of the person will have huge amount of FA and it will have negative effect on his health. The consequences on long term use of this diet result in: Atherosclerosis, Diabetic retinopathy, Infections, Cataract, Hypertension and Renal disease.
Your Dr. Bernstein must know about that, or he is only doctor of name and not real doctor.
Everyone who study medicine know about how the liver works i.e. all about metabolism.
It will be impossible to me to give all of you evidences about my claims, but you can begin to study in medical literature and you will get this evidences. Do not ask Dr. Bernstein!

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If this "doctor" Bernsein has been a real doctor then he will newer accept the diet with 5 to 10 gr./day carbs.If the person eats to mush lipids and very low amount of carbohydrates, then the liver mobilise FA's (Fatty acids) from the adipose tissues and the mitochondrial beta-oxidation in the liver will produces to mush ROS (the Reactive Oxygen Species) that are a very injurious to one's health, because they attack the cells membranes.The blood of the person will have huge amount of FA and it will have negative effect on his health. The consequences on long term use of this diet result in: Atherosclerosis, Diabetic retinopathy, Infections, Cataract, Hypertension and Renal disease.
Your Dr. Bernstein must know about that, or he is only doctor of name and not real doctor.
Everyone who study medicine know about how the liver works i.e. all about metabolism.
It will be impossible to me to give all of you evidences about my claims, but you can begin to study in medical literature and you will get this evidences. Do not ask Dr. Bernstein!

Please post the evidence you have for these statements, then we can judge for ourselves.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dr Bernstein is a genuine doctor in the states, he's also a Type 1 diabetic, I think he knows a lot.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Please post the evidence you have for these statements, then we can judge for ourselves.

For example you can get the evidences if you bye or borrow the volumes:
GUYTON AND HALL Textbook of Medical Physiology and
Williams Textbook of ENDOCRINOLOGY. There are many another volumes where you can read about this problems.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Bernstein is a genuine doctor in the states, he's also a Type 1 diabetic, I think he knows a lot.

Honest I do not know this "doctor", but I know about Dr. Atkins.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Williams Textbook of ENDOCRINOLOGY. There are many another volumes where you can read about this problems.

Funnily enough I don't have either of those to hand, but presumably they do have citations for studies, research, that kind of thing? You have surely read the studies, not just accepted a couple of lines in a text book?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Williams textbook was first published 65 years ago, and although it has been updated 13 times since. it probably does not reflect the recent medical discoveries reported in the last 2 years. Current edition is shown as e13 in 2015

Edit to Add: Currently available from Amazon at USD 128.34

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Luna, you don't seem to understand that we're mostly talking about a Low carb - High Fat diet here, not the Atkin's diet, which concentrates more on high protein than high fat, and that doesn't reduce blood sugar very much because of gluconeogenisis.

The basis of most fat-avoiding research and received wisdom - that is knowledge that's gained from text books and teachers and not challenged - is based on some very flawed studies and you're also mentioning issues that are caused by a high fat, high carb diet - it's true if you eat high fat and don't cut out most carbs, you'll suffer all sorts of issues.

I can't find a study which supports your argument that a LCHF diet causes complications of diabetes, there are a lot of us here who have decreased their blood sugar level down from dangerous levels which certainly would cause the complications to levels which haven't and seen their cholesterol results going the right way too.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The consequences on long term use of this diet result in: Atherosclerosis, Diabetic retinopathy, Infections, Cataract, Hypertension and Renal disease.
Actually those are exactly the consequences that those of us using the LC diets are trying to avoid. And they are much more predictable (and inevitable if we do not control our blood sugar levels)

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The Williams textbook was first published 65 years ago, and although it has been updated 13 times since. it probably does not reflect the recent medical discoveries reported in the last 2 years. Current edition is shown as e13 in 2015

Edit to Add: Currently available from Amazon at USD 128.34

My edition is 12

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Luna, you don't seem to understand that we're mostly talking about a Low carb - High Fat diet here, not the Atkin's diet, which concentrates more on high protein than high fat, and that doesn't reduce blood sugar very much because of gluconeogenisis.
Actually that was very much the domain of Atkins V1 diet. It has been revamped now (V2) and is more like LCHF with moderate protein intake. But still has the magic juju bars etc, and the same phased entry plan.

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

The basis of most fat-avoiding research and received wisdom - that is knowledge that's gained from text books and teachers and not challenged - is based on some very flawed studies and you're also mentioning issues that are caused by a high fat, high carb diet - it's true if you eat high fat and don't cut out most carbs, you'll suffer all sorts of issues.

I can't find a study which supports your argument that a LCHF diet causes complications of diabetes, there are a lot of us here who have decreased their blood sugar level down from dangerous levels which certainly would cause the complications to levels which haven't and seen their cholesterol results going the right way too.

You have misunderstand me. I do not write about Atkins.
I accept your opinion, but I have mine. You do not need to trust on me. I am listening and not more.
All of you are focused on the lowering effects on BG, but there are much more about Extreme LC.
Have a nice day

Dark Horse

This journal article https://jdmdonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40200-016-0235-9
says:-
"Building on the presented evidence, we suggest that chronically elevated plasma FFAs must be avoided to prevent or postpone reduction of membrane flexibility, which may be the major cause of diabetes-specific complications. We are not concerned with the details of our hypothesis, but we hope that the bigger picture is correct. More research is necessary to better understand the idea of early systemic cell membrane dysfunction."

This article is entitled "diet raises complication risk in diabetes:-
http://www.gponline.com/high-fat-diet-raises-complication-risk-diabetes/article/1122869

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen no evidence of what you suggest personally - there is some criticism of the low carb diet here - it doesn't work for everyone, there is currently not the level of evidence about it that would be ideal, but then neither is there for the usual high-carb / low fat diet that doctors all over are still recommending.

I don't see people's negative posts about it being removed.
As one who has criticised the LCHF diet on several occasions, I did not have any posts removed where the discussion was relevant to the topic. On one occasion I was requested to start a new thread since the discussion was diverging from the OP, and this made my objection stand out in its own right. We have had several meaningful discussions on aspects of the diet that have been invaluable.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.