Don't know how to take this :(

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just found out that somebody I know find the whole process of pricking my finger and putting blood on a test stick disgusting :( does that make me disgusting to that person ?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just found out that somebody I know find the whole process of pricking my finger and putting blood on a test stick disgusting :( does that make me disgusting to that person ?

To be honest, you shouldn't care. They're small minded and you're staying alive. You can't control that person's thoughts but you can control your glucose levels. Stick with the latter and don't worry about what you can't control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 12 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
No.

Some people just cannot cope with the sight of blood and people injecting. Maybe they find it easier to blame us than to face up to their inability to cope with it.

Take a deep breath, and keep on rockin'

Reactions: 8 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

No that doesn't make you you disgusting, it makes this other person quite sad, sad that they cannot understand the importance of what you do and the fact that it is part of a process which keeps you alive. I remember doing a quick and what I thought was a discrete injection a year or so ago, a friend made a very loud remark that included 'eugh' when they realised what I had done, it was done before the remark so almost a delayed reaction, it made me feel quite self conscious until my reality check voice kicked in and reminded me how essential it was for me to do this, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I would question the value of their friendship on the basis that they are fairly self centred to not see life from your perspective.

Reactions: 14 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some people are just silly. They think you're getting attention by needing medical care so they want some. Attention, that is. Very childish. Some people never grow up. It's a shame, for them.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys it just upset me and thought do other ppl think like that but don't say :( I dunno !!

At the opposite end of the spectrum.
I once dated a "Goth type" girl that got her "rocks off" on my inpalment & "blood letting"..

Start the car!? ;)

Reactions: 10 people

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're
not disgusting and doing it is not disgusting at all, and let's face it - how much blood do u actually see when doing a finger prick. Not a lot.
Some people don't think before they speak. Or they say things that they don't realise will hurt other people's feelings. Us diabetics have to have thick skin, and let any comments like that go over our heads.
It is upsetting when people pass comment like that - but don't let them get to u.
I used to work with a girl who every day for a long time used to shout across my office and say oh here's the druggie going for her lunchtime fix. And everyone used to laugh, but it upset me so much. I laughed it off for a long time, but one day just flipped and went crazy at her for mocking me. Funnily enough she tried to take me to HR over it - but it got her in trouble not me.
That made me paranoid about telling people, so not many people I work with now know. But I think why did I let a narrow minded person upset me like that, we are who we are, we have to do these things to keep us alive and kicking. If others don't like that - they're the ones with the problem.
All I was trying to say before I went off on one - was don't let it upset u. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 6 people
S

Shar67

I would be telling them that their breathing is disgusting and they should stop ASAP, if they get offended tell them that is how they made you feel.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they think we enjoy this? It saves our lives. Period. And that is exactly what I would say.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
At the opposite end of the spectrum.
I once dated a "Goth type" girl that got her "rocks off" on my inpalment & "blood letting"..

Start the car!? ;)
If she'd started sucking your fingers after you'd bloodlet, I'd have been worried...

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jackie100 of course you're not disgusting! It's horrid though, when we get comments like these - I find it confusing and upsetting and then start questioning my every move. And it's awful that a thoughtless attitude of someone towards a necessary, routine part of our everyday lives with diabetes, can have the power to do that. I feel for you. But the problem, remember, is that person's, not yours.

I remember a non-friend at university telling me once 'That's disgusting - I'd rather DIE than do that to myself' when seeing me (discreetly, in my own room) injecting.

I took it upon myself to explain to her that if I didn't 'do that to myself' I WOULD die - and with all seriousness she said that if she were diabetic, she would therefore choose that option rather than inject. This absolutely HORRIFIED me. To my regret I got upset, and didn't engage with her any further.

There are ignorant, thoughtless people out there. Some genuinely don't quite get it, and are interested and happy to enter into a conversation about it to find out what's really happening and why. Others are idiots. In their case, the problem belongs to them, not us.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jackie100 . One of my biggest issues are people who don't like me injecting or blood testing in a public place. What I say is it's a bloody big world with a hell of a lot of things to look at. If you choose to look at my finger or the end of a needle I'm using then that's your problem, look elsewhere. Granted when I drop my jeans in the middle of a restaurant to shoot up this can be alarming to some people :):):)

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jackie100 of course you're not disgusting! It's horrid though, when we get comments like these - I find it confusing and upsetting and then start questioning my every move. And it's awful that a thoughtless attitude of someone towards a necessary, routine part of our everyday lives with diabetes, can have the power to do that. I feel for you. But the problem, remember, is that person's, not yours.

I remember a non-friend at university telling me once 'That's disgusting - I'd rather DIE than do that to myself' when seeing me (discreetly, in my own room) injecting.

I took it upon myself to explain to her that if I didn't 'do that to myself' I WOULD die - and with all seriousness she said that if she were diabetic, she would therefore choose that option rather than inject. This absolutely HORRIFIED me. To my regret I got upset, and didn't engage with her any further.

There are ignorant, thoughtless people out there. Some genuinely don't quite get it, and are interested and happy to enter into a conversation about it to find out what's really happening and why. Others are idiots. In their case, the problem belongs to them, not us.

:)

Sigh... Someone give that girl a Darwin award...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 5 people

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are not disgusting at all and you should not feel that way. But I can understand how some people can't stand the sight of blood so I would just try to do your testing in private perhaps?

Shelleymomma

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

NO....not at all. That person obviously has their own issues but don't let them add to yours. They don't need to see it if they choose not to and equally they can choose not to think about it either if it doesn't concern them. Difficult I know but don't pay any attention to what they choose to think. Take care!

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find telling them to go forth and multiply (f@@@ off) generally puts my view point across of what I think of them. Don't waste your time angsting over some ill-mannered, ignorant person. They'd be the first to moan if you didn't look after yourself.

The comment above about finding them breathing offensive? Why don't you sask what's that smell every time they come in the room? Yes, I'm a nasty person.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
You just found out ... I would also be wondering about the person who told you this and wonder about the motive for doing so ...