1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Don't know how to take this :(

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Jackie100, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Jackie100

Jackie100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just found out that somebody I know find the whole process of pricking my finger and putting blood on a test stick disgusting :( does that make me disgusting to that person ?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

To be honest, you shouldn't care. They're small minded and you're staying alive. You can't control that person's thoughts but you can control your glucose levels. Stick with the latter and don't worry about what you can't control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

No.

Some people just cannot cope with the sight of blood and people injecting. Maybe they find it easier to blame us than to face up to their inability to cope with it.

Take a deep breath, and keep on rockin'

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

No that doesn't make you you disgusting, it makes this other person quite sad, sad that they cannot understand the importance of what you do and the fact that it is part of a process which keeps you alive. I remember doing a quick and what I thought was a discrete injection a year or so ago, a friend made a very loud remark that included 'eugh' when they realised what I had done, it was done before the remark so almost a delayed reaction, it made me feel quite self conscious until my reality check voice kicked in and reminded me how essential it was for me to do this, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

I would question the value of their friendship on the basis that they are fairly self centred to not see life from your perspective.

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

My thoughts entirely @urbanracer

@Jackie100, don't let the thoughts of this person get to you, rise above it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Some people are just silly. They think you're getting attention by needing medical care so they want some. Attention, that is. Very childish. Some people never grow up. It's a shame, for them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jackie100

Jackie100 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks guys it just upset me and thought do other ppl think like that but don't say :( I dunno !!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

• Hug Hug x 3
  8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

At the opposite end of the spectrum.
    I once dated a "Goth type" girl that got her "rocks off" on my inpalment & "blood letting"..

Start the car!? ;)

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
  9. Tanny35

Tanny35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You're
    not disgusting and doing it is not disgusting at all, and let's face it - how much blood do u actually see when doing a finger prick. Not a lot.
    Some people don't think before they speak. Or they say things that they don't realise will hurt other people's feelings. Us diabetics have to have thick skin, and let any comments like that go over our heads.
    It is upsetting when people pass comment like that - but don't let them get to u.
    I used to work with a girl who every day for a long time used to shout across my office and say oh here's the druggie going for her lunchtime fix. And everyone used to laugh, but it upset me so much. I laughed it off for a long time, but one day just flipped and went crazy at her for mocking me. Funnily enough she tried to take me to HR over it - but it got her in trouble not me.
    That made me paranoid about telling people, so not many people I work with now know. But I think why did I let a narrow minded person upset me like that, we are who we are, we have to do these things to keep us alive and kicking. If others don't like that - they're the ones with the problem.
    All I was trying to say before I went off on one - was don't let it upset u. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 6
    • Hug Hug x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

I would be telling them that their breathing is disgusting and they should stop ASAP, if they get offended tell them that is how they made you feel.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Do they think we enjoy this? It saves our lives. Period. And that is exactly what I would say.

• Like Like x 2
  12. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

If she'd started sucking your fingers after you'd bloodlet, I'd have been worried...

13. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jackie100 of course you're not disgusting! It's horrid though, when we get comments like these - I find it confusing and upsetting and then start questioning my every move. And it's awful that a thoughtless attitude of someone towards a necessary, routine part of our everyday lives with diabetes, can have the power to do that. I feel for you. But the problem, remember, is that person's, not yours.

I remember a non-friend at university telling me once 'That's disgusting - I'd rather DIE than do that to myself' when seeing me (discreetly, in my own room) injecting.

I took it upon myself to explain to her that if I didn't 'do that to myself' I WOULD die - and with all seriousness she said that if she were diabetic, she would therefore choose that option rather than inject. This absolutely HORRIFIED me. To my regret I got upset, and didn't engage with her any further.

There are ignorant, thoughtless people out there. Some genuinely don't quite get it, and are interested and happy to enter into a conversation about it to find out what's really happening and why. Others are idiots. In their case, the problem belongs to them, not us.

:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Jackie100 . One of my biggest issues are people who don't like me injecting or blood testing in a public place. What I say is it's a bloody big world with a hell of a lot of things to look at. If you choose to look at my finger or the end of a needle I'm using then that's your problem, look elsewhere. Granted when I drop my jeans in the middle of a restaurant to shoot up this can be alarming to some people :):):)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. 1abRat

1abRat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sigh... Someone give that girl a Darwin award...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
  16. alison.81

alison.81 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are not disgusting at all and you should not feel that way. But I can understand how some people can't stand the sight of blood so I would just try to do your testing in private perhaps?

17. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just ignore idiots. You have enough to contend with

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Shelleymomma

Shelleymomma Type 2 · Active Member

NO....not at all. That person obviously has their own issues but don't let them add to yours. They don't need to see it if they choose not to and equally they can choose not to think about it either if it doesn't concern them. Difficult I know but don't pay any attention to what they choose to think. Take care!

19. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I find telling them to go forth and multiply ([email protected]@@ off) generally puts my view point across of what I think of them. Don't waste your time angsting over some ill-mannered, ignorant person. They'd be the first to moan if you didn't look after yourself.

The comment above about finding them breathing offensive? Why don't you sask what's that smell every time they come in the room? Yes, I'm a nasty person.

• Like Like x 4
  20. magsiesss

magsiesss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You just found out ... I would also be wondering about the person who told you this and wonder about the motive for doing so ...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook