Weight loss

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, for 4 months now I've been taking 1500mg of Metformin. I eat a healthy diet. Portion control, low fats, good fats, low or zero sugar, changed bread to Burgen, 3 meals a day, Apple, banana and orange every day, 1 hour of walking 5 days a week, run 5k once a week and swim 20 lengths once a week. And I haven't shifted a single pound. Anyone know why? I'm 5'4'' and 14stone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing that strikes me about your stats is low fat. Fat releases the hormone that gets triglycerides out of your fat cells. The low fat advice is one of the major causes of the obesity epidemic.

Oh yes, one more thing. The thing that makes me cringe is when someone claims to be eating a healthy diet. One bloke said he ate healthily and he had had a pizza and cheesecake. Everyone's perception of a healthy diet is different.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Everybodies portion control is different.. When I was able to eat 3 meals a day.. Mine were a small side plate...
Bread.. Changed to Burgen.. But how many slices each day?
Do you use myfitnesspal at all to monitor your food/activities?

Healthy diet? It still depends on each individuals consideration of healthy...

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I am now very active (at least 7k min steps each day plus other gym and water activities) - but have not lost weight either. I had tests done and have been diagnosed with under active thyroid. Its so frustrating reading about people eating less and weight dripping from them when I cannot seem to lose an ounce.

I see that you have both a banana and an orange daily - I stopped eating a lot of bananas because of the calorie content.

If you find the magic cure - can you let me know too :)

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only thing that strikes me about your stats is low fat. Fat releases the hormone that gets triglycerides out of your fat cells. The low fat advice is one of the major causes of the obesity epidemic.

Oh yes, one more thing. The thing that makes me cringe is when someone claims to be eating a healthy diet. One bloke said he ate healthily and he had had a pizza and cheesecake. Everyone's perception of a healthy diet is different.

Thanks. I do eat healthily. No pizza and no cake

Reactions: 2 people

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Everybodies portion control is different.. When I was able to eat 3 meals a day.. Mine were a small side plate...

Thanks. I have a portion plate so don't have big portions. I measure everything and weigh everything. Before diabetes I lost weight with diet and exercise but now nothing. Just wondered why

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Two slices of Burgen bread for 5 days. Spelt bread at the weekends which are smaller as baked fresh

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I am now very active (at least 7k min steps each day plus other gym and water activities) - but have not lost weight either. I had tests done and have been diagnosed with under active thyroid. Its so frustrating reading about people eating less and weight dripping from them when I cannot seem to lose an ounce.

I see that you have both a banana and an orange daily - I stopped eating a lot of bananas because of the calorie content.

Hi there I do approx 20k steps a day. Thyroid checked and normal.

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I eat the bananas for the potassium

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
My diabetic nurse informed me never to eat more than half a banana and only fruit that ends in the word berry. I was informed no other fruit and a portion - 6 strawberries or no more than you can hold in your hand.
I would say do not give up - look at every aspect and ask questions.
Take care

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are better foods containing potassium than bananas, for a diabetic. Spinach, avocados and sweet potatoes all have more than twice the potassium of bananas.

Like others have said, the standard 'healthy' low fat, high fruit diet often does more harm than good for a type 2 diabetic. Personally, i would want to test each one of those fruits with a meter to check how the sugar in them affected me, and i would drop the low fat options. But if my meter said i could tolerate them, then i would happily enjoy the fruit. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I could never lose weight with all that fruit. I need to stay under 20 carbs a day to maintain my weight. As brunneria said avocados spinach and celery have a lot of potassium and far less sugar than bananas. Add a few pumpkin seeds and sea salt to your avocado and you've got a nice portion of potassium magnesium and sodium all wrapped up I to one delishous meal.

fene48

Hi all, for 4 months now I've been taking 1500mg of Metformin. I eat a healthy diet. Portion control, low fats, good fats, low or zero sugar, changed bread to Burgen, 3 meals a day, Apple, banana and orange every day, 1 hour of walking 5 days a week, run 5k once a week and swim 20 lengths once a week. And I haven't shifted a single pound. Anyone know why? I'm 5'4'' and 14stone
You seem to be doing all the right things and probably replacing muscle with fat. Plateaus are quite common and the body is a sneaky and uncooperative so and so at times. Perhaps it might be time to revisit the calories you eat and when. Not saying its the case with you, but after going through the same thing as you - I got a real shock when I did a bit of journaling. (I certainly put it in my mouth and I know where it ended up). Have a bit of patience and mix it up exercise and intensity wise. If things don't move, perhaps its time to see your GP and nutritionist.
Best of luck - you appear to have put together a sound eating and exercise platform.

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

I would try cutting back on the fruit...it's quite a lot of sugar every day, especially the banana and orange.

Your exercise regime is really excellent and I am sure your overall fitness levels will ha improved loads:)

Have you ever thought of Resistance training (weights), my wife and I do this at least 3 times a week, added it to our cardio training and as well as making us stronger (not bigger:)), for me it really improves my fat burning. Equally do you think you could introduce some Intermittent Fasting? This will empty your glycogen liver store and if you get into the habit and gradually extend it, it will eventually trigger fat burning:)

Just a few thiughts

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum