1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight loss

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by CDudley, Jul 13, 2016.

1. CDudley

CDudley Type 2 · Active Member

Hi all, for 4 months now I've been taking 1500mg of Metformin. I eat a healthy diet. Portion control, low fats, good fats, low or zero sugar, changed bread to Burgen, 3 meals a day, Apple, banana and orange every day, 1 hour of walking 5 days a week, run 5k once a week and swim 20 lengths once a week. And I haven't shifted a single pound. Anyone know why? I'm 5'4'' and 14stone

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

The only thing that strikes me about your stats is low fat. Fat releases the hormone that gets triglycerides out of your fat cells. The low fat advice is one of the major causes of the obesity epidemic.

Oh yes, one more thing. The thing that makes me cringe is when someone claims to be eating a healthy diet. One bloke said he ate healthily and he had had a pizza and cheesecake. Everyone's perception of a healthy diet is different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Everybodies portion control is different.. When I was able to eat 3 meals a day.. Mine were a small side plate...
    Bread.. Changed to Burgen.. But how many slices each day?
    Do you use myfitnesspal at all to monitor your food/activities?

Healthy diet? It still depends on each individuals consideration of healthy...

4. magsiesss

magsiesss Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you mentioned this to your doctor? I am now very active (at least 7k min steps each day plus other gym and water activities) - but have not lost weight either. I had tests done and have been diagnosed with under active thyroid. Its so frustrating reading about people eating less and weight dripping from them when I cannot seem to lose an ounce.

I see that you have both a banana and an orange daily - I stopped eating a lot of bananas because of the calorie content.

If you find the magic cure - can you let me know too :)

5. CDudley

Thanks. I do eat healthily. No pizza and no cake

• Like Like x 2
  6. CDudley

Thanks. I have a portion plate so don't have big portions. I measure everything and weigh everything. Before diabetes I lost weight with diet and exercise but now nothing. Just wondered why

7. CDudley

Two slices of Burgen bread for 5 days. Spelt bread at the weekends which are smaller as baked fresh

8. CDudley

Hi there I do approx 20k steps a day. Thyroid checked and normal.

9. CDudley

I eat the bananas for the potassium

10. srobertson06

srobertson06 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My diabetic nurse informed me never to eat more than half a banana and only fruit that ends in the word berry. I was informed no other fruit and a portion - 6 strawberries or no more than you can hold in your hand.
    I would say do not give up - look at every aspect and ask questions.
    Take care

• Like Like x 2
  11. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

There are better foods containing potassium than bananas, for a diabetic. Spinach, avocados and sweet potatoes all have more than twice the potassium of bananas.

Like others have said, the standard 'healthy' low fat, high fruit diet often does more harm than good for a type 2 diabetic. Personally, i would want to test each one of those fruits with a meter to check how the sugar in them affected me, and i would drop the low fat options. But if my meter said i could tolerate them, then i would happily enjoy the fruit. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I could never lose weight with all that fruit. I need to stay under 20 carbs a day to maintain my weight. As brunneria said avocados spinach and celery have a lot of potassium and far less sugar than bananas. Add a few pumpkin seeds and sea salt to your avocado and you've got a nice portion of potassium magnesium and sodium all wrapped up I to one delishous meal.

• Like Like x 2
  13. fene48

fene48 · Well-Known Member

You seem to be doing all the right things and probably replacing muscle with fat. Plateaus are quite common and the body is a sneaky and uncooperative so and so at times. Perhaps it might be time to revisit the calories you eat and when. Not saying its the case with you, but after going through the same thing as you - I got a real shock when I did a bit of journaling. (I certainly put it in my mouth and I know where it ended up). Have a bit of patience and mix it up exercise and intensity wise. If things don't move, perhaps its time to see your GP and nutritionist.
    Best of luck - you appear to have put together a sound eating and exercise platform.

#13 fene48, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:40 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  14. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would try cutting back on the fruit...it's quite a lot of sugar every day, especially the banana and orange.

Your exercise regime is really excellent and I am sure your overall fitness levels will ha improved loads:)

Have you ever thought of Resistance training (weights), my wife and I do this at least 3 times a week, added it to our cardio training and as well as making us stronger (not bigger:)), for me it really improves my fat burning. Equally do you think you could introduce some Intermittent Fasting? This will empty your glycogen liver store and if you get into the habit and gradually extend it, it will eventually trigger fat burning:)

Just a few thiughts

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook