Type one and fruit

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What fruit is good that you can eat without insulin??? Miss my fruit intake only diagnosed two years ago still learning

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Morning Tylers, I only tend to eat strawberries and blueberries now, I still bolus for a few carbs but a small handful is only a few carbs, sometimes I will have an apple but count this as 8g of carb for a smallish Apple. I would eat a banana if I was going low but otherwise again depending on how ripe it is would take insulin for it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I inject for all fruits, but with raspberries ( which I love) it is a tiny amount and I only eat fruit with a meal, I never snack.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What fruit is good that you can eat without insulin???

Strawberries are about the lowest in carbs and you may get away with a small handful without bolusing.

Miss my fruit intake only diagnosed two years ago still learning

No reason to deny yourself fruit, just include it in a meal-time and bolus accordingly, that's what I do and eat fruit everyday.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What fruit is good that you can eat without insulin??? Miss my fruit intake only diagnosed two years ago still learning

I eat fruit as part of my lunch and just include the carbs in my bolus calculation. I eat a variety (but not all at the same time!!) I have mango, pineapple, oranges, berries, grapefruit, Sharon fruit, kiwi fruit, apples, etc etc

Sometimes I have an apple as a snack and just bolus for it.

I can eat a few berries without a bolus.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
What fruit is good that you can eat without insulin???

The only fruits I eat are strawberries , raspberries and blue berries. Need insulin for all of them as I can't just eat 1 or 2 at a time and always end up scoffing loads all at once. Lemons are also pretty low carb.

Summer time I eat frozen raspberries after letting them thaw out for 30 mins or so. Very nice indeed.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any fruit, but only if you go for a run immediately afterwards!