1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type one and fruit

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Tylers73, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Tylers73

Tylers73 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What fruit is good that you can eat without insulin??? Miss my fruit intake only diagnosed two years ago still learning

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Morning Tylers, I only tend to eat strawberries and blueberries now, I still bolus for a few carbs but a small handful is only a few carbs, sometimes I will have an apple but count this as 8g of carb for a smallish Apple. I would eat a banana if I was going low but otherwise again depending on how ripe it is would take insulin for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

I inject for all fruits, but with raspberries ( which I love) it is a tiny amount and I only eat fruit with a meal, I never snack.

4. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Strawberries are about the lowest in carbs and you may get away with a small handful without bolusing.

No reason to deny yourself fruit, just include it in a meal-time and bolus accordingly, that's what I do and eat fruit everyday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I eat fruit as part of my lunch and just include the carbs in my bolus calculation. I eat a variety (but not all at the same time!!) I have mango, pineapple, oranges, berries, grapefruit, Sharon fruit, kiwi fruit, apples, etc etc

Sometimes I have an apple as a snack and just bolus for it.

I can eat a few berries without a bolus.

6. Wurst

Wurst Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The only fruits I eat are strawberries , raspberries and blue berries. Need insulin for all of them as I can't just eat 1 or 2 at a time and always end up scoffing loads all at once. Lemons are also pretty low carb.

Summer time I eat frozen raspberries after letting them thaw out for 30 mins or so. Very nice indeed.

7. RuthW

RuthW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Any fruit, but only if you go for a run immediately afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook