FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm back in love with my Libre now after finally getting a sensor that worked! I got new sensors sent for the faulty ones and have just finished one with a fortnight of highly accurate results (within 0.1 of a finger prick consistently). The new ones were from a different batch and I'm wondering if I got a bad batch the first time.
Either way, I feel I can trust it now :)

Phil, in terms of accuracy, I've had a mixed experience with the Libre, as I've had several sensors go completely walkabout, in terms of the readings. It was like they were on mind altering street drugs, racing all over the place!

The last two have been really excellent, although the earlier one just dropped off one morning (replaced without challenge by Abbott). That, and the one I currently have attached were delivered to me around late January (why they weren't used earlier is immaterial), so sometimes it just feels a bit of a lottery.

I'm not saying any of this to dent your confidence in the Libre, as when it's accurate, it's wonderful, just to encourage a balanced approach, and to accept if the sensor really is "off-piste", Abbott will usually respond positively. I'm still earning from it, a year on from my first sensors; although I am a part-time user. :)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, @AndBreathe - the first three sensors I tried were all, for want of a better word, completely **** and read hugely under or hugely over. Abbott changed them without question and I'm hoping this new batch will be better and as good as the one I've just finished. If they're not, I'll keep changing them :)

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had another bad sensor after my brilliant one - this one was the last of the original 4 I purchased (2 with the starter pack and 2 spare ones) and I suspect it was a bad batch because every one of them was faulty in one way or another (3 of them read way over and the 4th fell apart on application!)
To be fair to Abbott, they're swapping it out again but this time they needed 3 readings showing a big variance, not just the one they needed before - fortunately, I had them showing a variance between 2.5 and 4 :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the other hand I think the Libre might be tricky to use for some people, like maybe elderly people or people which might be not so updated on using new technologies (how put this nicely;). It's not completely plug & play yet, you have to keep on using your brains.
I'm an elderly people and I've managed to sort out any problems I've had with my sensors using my (rather common) senses... :D:D

I've been using various new technologies for longer than some Libre users have actually been around on this planet.

Just joking, Robbity

kelvin45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver
I looked at this the other day and am waiting for them to get back to me to see if the sensors are prescribable or not as £57 a fortnight is way too much for me as i'm on a very limitied budget (.I.P. and Esa). from what i gather from what i have read, it can only be used on the upper arm and the sensor automatically stops after 14 days. If the sensors are prescribable i will definitely be getting the monitor.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I looked at this the other day and am waiting for them to get back to me to see if the sensors are prescribable or not as £57 a fortnight is way too much for me as i'm on a very limitied budget (.I.P. and Esa). from what i gather from what i have read, it can only be used on the upper arm and the sensor automatically stops after 14 days. If the sensors are prescribable i will definitely be getting the monitor.

I have been using the Libre for just over a month and I am on my 3rd sensor. Some people have put the sensor on other parts of the body, the main reason its behind the upper arm from what I can tell is - You don't flex behind there often so the sensor stays in and its part of the body that rarely gets knocked or used (unlike stomach or legs bending and hitting things).

Also you don't need to buy the reader any more. If you have a modern Android smart phone with NFC - you can just use that. I now don't use the reader, but always my smart phone because I can edit and add notes.

If you are not able to buy it often, I would recommend you buy it just once - save the money up - stick it in your arm and use the phone app - I will carry on using the Libre for another 6 weeks then I will hopefully have learnt more from my patterns and my food so I won't have to keep buying it.

But as I said - just try it once with a smart phone app if you can - saves you another £50 as the app is free and it now allows more people to try it. Also the sensors are £48.29 as you get the VAT back since you are Diabetic (it's the option after you click checkout)

Last edited by a moderator:

knackered

Well I cant make my mind up on this thing. It seems expensive but the amount of testing I am likely to do trying to sort myself out, I'm not sure there is that much difference. For example, if I test once first thing in the morning then before and twice after three meals that's 10 strips and lancets a day = 300 per month. Even the code free would work out at about £75.00! Plus the sore fingers and just ten results per day...

My concern is the complexity of using it, plus the amount of problems some of you have had with the sensors being faulty or falling off...

Someone tell me what to go for, I can't decide:(

Steve.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well I cant make my mind up on this thing. It seems expensive but the amount of testing I am likely to do trying to sort myself out, I'm not sure there is that much difference. For example, if I test once first thing in the morning then before and twice after three meals that's 10 strips and lancets a day = 300 per month. Even the code free would work out at about £75.00! Plus the sore fingers and just ten results per day...

My concern is the complexity of using it, plus the amount of problems some of you have had with the sensors being faulty or falling off...

Steve.
If you have an Android phone with NFC, try it on that for £50 for one sensor.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Steve.
Hi Steve

I have been using this constantly since October 2014. Apart from having three sensors replaced by Abbott in the early days for being inaccurate, they seem much more accurate these days. I don't have and problems with it at all now and would be lost without it. Of course some people have problems with it and post about it here but I am sure a lot of us don't and won't be posting about that on a regular basis. I guess the only way to find out if it suits you is to give it a go - it's not a huge investment and there's no commitment.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I too wouldn't be without mine. I've been using the Libre for about a year and only had to return 3. That's not bad out of some 24-25 in total. Give it a try for just a month and see how you get on.

As @robert72 has said, there's no commitment, so you can stop any time you want to.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the Libre who has allergies, in relation to plasters / sticky tape etc?

I'd love to use the Libre, especially if my phone would scan the sensor ;) but I have some allergies re plasters etc. Years ago, I tried nicotine patches but after only a few days I was seeing the redness and itching on the sites.

I'm a bit reluctant to pay out for one and find I can't tolerate the fixative substance that holds them in place.

I'd be very appreciative to hear what you might think. Maybe a phone call to Abbott is in order to see what they might suggest.

Thanks

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah right! once you see a graph and get better control you'll be hooked! ;)
I'd agree with that - when I first got mine, I intended to use it for a month to see what my blood was doing and then only put one on occasionally.
However, I've been wearing a sensor continually since I got it and will continue to do so, because I really don't want to be without the information it provides - it's definitely addictive :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with the Libre who has allergies, in relation to plasters / sticky tape etc?

I'd love to use the Libre, especially if my phone would scan the sensor ;) but I have some allergies re plasters etc. Years ago, I tried nicotine patches but after only a few days I was seeing the redness and itching on the sites.

I'm a bit reluctant to pay out for one and find I can't tolerate the fixative substance that holds them in place.

I'd be very appreciative to hear what you might think. Maybe a phone call to Abbott is in order to see what they might suggest.

Thanks

I have allergies and the libre sensors for me have been fine...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I didn't think I would ever try the Libre or like the Libre after having the awful Abbott Freestyle Navigator...(it was hopeless!).
However. Just coming to end of 2nd sensor.
1st one inaccurate for first 13 hours.. Then really good.
Following advice here, put the 2nd sensor in 24 hrs before 1st one ran out and has worked perfectly.

I am absolutely OTT with everything... And when I say the Navigator Cgm waa useless.. I really had consistent proof of it.

I have consistent proof of this libre being brilliant for me.. Just wish the Navigator had worked as well.

My CCG is currently supplying me with sensors until they get an answer on CGM funding. However, most patients wouldn't get this. It is because I have other long term illnesses that limit my fingers for testing and just going back to a pump...and having stomach issues that impact upon my. Diabetes bg's.

I don't think I'm lucky getting these currently supplied-I wish I didn't have the additional reasons for needing the Libre.

My nurses and consultant have 7 pages of evidence for proof of needing help....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plasters always make me itch, but the Libre sensor glue has been fine.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Thanks

I even have reactions to Micropore, never mind conventional Elastoplast, but I've been absolutely fine with the Libre.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't think I would ever try the Libre or like the Libre after having the awful Abbott Freestyle Navigator...(it was hopeless!).
However. Just coming to end of 2nd sensor.
1st one inaccurate for first 13 hours.. Then really good.
Following advice here, put the 2nd sensor in 24 hrs before 1st one ran out and has worked perfectly.

I am absolutely OTT with everything... And when I say the Navigator Cgm waa useless.. I really had consistent proof of it.

I have consistent proof of this libre being brilliant for me.. Just wish the Navigator had worked as well.

My CCG is currently supplying me with sensors until they get an answer on CGM funding. However, most patients wouldn't get this. It is because I have other long term illnesses that limit my fingers for testing and just going back to a pump...and having stomach issues that impact upon my. Diabetes bg's.

I don't think I'm lucky getting these currently supplied-I wish I didn't have the additional reasons for needing the Libre.

My nurses and consultant have 7 pages of evidence for proof of needing help....

Gosh, DD; that's quite a conversion from you. What persuaded you to try the Libre, after your earlier poorer CGM experiences?