Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I love this forum. :)

Pleased your enjoying your time here :)

By far liquid glucose is the fastest way to treat a hypo, especially if bg levels are very low or are falling fast.

Someone mentioned GlucoJuice earlier, if you go to Amazon you can purchase 12 bottles for £14 with free delivery which is a lot cheaper than buying it at Boots.

Reactions: 2 people

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to hypo treatment at home is glucose powder ( Holland and Barrett) 3 teaspoons, half pint water and splash orange cordial. Works next to no time and isn't overly sweet/sickly. Out and about its usually jelly babies or glucotabs. Home or out I follow up with some carbs to keep me up.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Right.... gotta go buy glucose powder tomorrow. Oh.... and Jelly Babies. :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I just find that, if I've gone very low, some hypo treatments are more likely to make me feel sick. I had to drink Glucojuice once, and that made me nauseous, but may be fine for others! I like the sound of the H&B glucose powder, though when I'm very hypo, I tend to dither about doing things in the right order - eg, using my meter, mixing or making anything. Glucotabs are quick and easy but "Have I got any? Where are they?" :rolleyes::(

clarehayward

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
lucozade great but a heavy bottle to carry around with you all the time and if you have a can of coke in your bag, again heavy and could fizz all over the place if jiggled.

I think the glucose tablets or other sweets are the best as you can carry them with you all the time.

I personally have jelly babies. Very cheap from any supermarket and pure sugar!! Very easy to chew/suck if you're really low and light to carry in a small bag. Great for travelling away with as a pack has a lot of hypo treatments! Yes glucogel most disgusting thing on earth.

Clare, Type 1 36 years, pumping 3 years

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I do not have diabetes but I have had the distinct pleasure of having many hypos, not that I was aware of them at the time. However because of the nature of mine, it would be remiss of us RH ers to have the sugary drinks or the sweets, glucose remedy for hypos. Because of the rebounding hypers and hypos. Once we hyper, we hypo. So what it all comes down to is that the best way to treat a hypo is not to have one by not having a hyper!
But, if we do have a hypo, one or two plain biscuits with a cup of tea or coffee, to slowly bring up your blood glucose levels slowly followed by a very low carb small meal to keep your blood levels in the normal range.

Of course In an emergency situation, anything to bring you up is always the best treatment.

Sometimes a differently at a situation can be worth a try especially if you have symptoms from a rebound effect.

Best wishes.

Edited by a mod for clarity as the OP has diabetes not RH

Last edited by a moderator:

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That's excellent nosher8355. My diabetes nurse did say to me that I (3c) shouldn't necessarily treat a hypo with high sugar things but rather eat a snack and depending on what that snack is and how many carbs maybe take some NovaRapid with it. That way you will treat the hypo but not induce a hyper immediately after. :)

By the way. Whats 'RH ers' ??

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So obviously the treatments for a hypo differ depending on what type of diabetes we have.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So obviously the treatments for a hypo differ depending on what type of diabetes we have.

Nosher has Reactive Hypoglycaemia not diabetes so his situation is different :)

Follow the advice of your DSN.

If you over treat a hypo - that is, say, have a whole bottle of Lucozade when you only needed 150mls, then yes, you'll probably go high. The aim is to have enough fast-acting glucose to get you back into the normal range :)

Kirktown

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just had my first hypo today. I have type 3C as well and it's hard to find out much about it.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Kirktown.

I believe 3c Is also known as Secondary Diabetes. It's secondary to Pancreas disorders. Have you ever suffered from Pancreatitis?

I have 3c as I have Chronic Pancreatitis.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes. :)

racingsteve

My wife is type 2 and recently had very low blood sugar, so low that I called 101 for advice.

They asked me if we had a Lucozade we didn't (can you still buy plain Lucozade?!) after a lot of other suggestions I was told to give her 2 tablespoons of jam.

By the time an ambulance arrived 5 minutes later she felt a lot better and her levels had gone up a few points.

Thanks for the advice about jelly babies I'll get some in stock tomorrow - much better/tastier than tablespoons of jam!

Tracey69

Hey everyone. I hope y'all doing good today. :)

I'm interested to know what are the best and quickest things to treat a hypo are, and what are your favorites?

I'd be grateful for your input.

Thanks in advance. :)
Hi
after having plenty in this last week, i use glucose tabs, lucozade, but you can choose other things like mars bar or a rreal sweet drink, but after a hypo make sure you retest then have some carbs. my favourite is the lucozade as it works quicker,
Tracey69

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If I haven't already done so..... Thanks for everyone's input and also ratings. Your all good people! :)

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Do you mean Gurgle it? Nothing wrong with a bit of humour, it will still work so long as you swallow it lol.

Regards

Martin

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I use Orange flavoured Lucozade it works very fast as already been stated. I always drink half the bottle which is 29 grams of carbs and I've worked that out to be inbetween the letters "C" and "O" in Lucozade on the bottle.

If you buy lucozade Caribbean Crush which may well be a special edition for summer half the bottle works out at 18 grams of carbs which is nearer to the recommended amount of fast acting carbs to drink (20grams).

Regards

Martin

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nice info rockape37