How Far Do You Go With Intermittent Fasting?

Charlottee

How many hours without food can you go on intermittent fasting? How many calories do you consume the least between the fasting?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that to start getting the metabolic benefits of intermittent fasting, it is best to fast for at least 13 hours which is usually achievable by extending the overnight fast. I've also read that stopping eating prior to 7pm is beneficial. Other than that, it's best to play around with different regimes to find the one that works best for you. If you have a lot of weight to lose, fasting every other day is one method. There are all sorts of ways of doing it - 24 hr, 36 hr, 48hr, etc. There is also compressed window of eating eg. 8 hrs eating/16 hours fasting.

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been cutting out breakfast 3 times a week, and trying to leave lunch as late as possible on those days, so fast from about 10pm (can't stop snacking!) until about 3pm, approx. 17 hours.....................definite helped with weight loss after I stalled for a while, and seems to help with BG's as well.

Everyone has a different metabolism, so play around with it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
7 days a week! Just one small meal a day at 5 or 6pm. Meal normally couple teaspoons fish/100g cucumber/50g avocado.
I never go without my white beverages though, so don't know if that 24carbs throughout day would officially break fasting?
Never. Eat after tea, never had breakfast (willingly) or lunch unless other people have suggested it and I've felt I've had to comply to be 'normal'.

Charlottee

7 days a week! Just one small meal a day at 5 or 6pm. Meal normally couple teaspoons fish/100g cucumber/50g avocado.
I never go without my white beverages though, so don't know if that 24carbs throughout day would officially break fasting?
Never. Eat after tea, never had breakfast (willingly) or lunch unless other people have suggested it and I've felt I've had to comply to be 'normal'.

so you are surviving at 500kcal per day? because that's what your meal is

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at Jason Fung's blog https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

It will answer your every question (and a few you didn't know to ask :) )

To answer your question though - please don't base your fasting on anybody else's experiences and targets. Listen to your own body, and tailor your fasting to that.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
so you are surviving at 500kcal per day? because that's what your meal is

Pretty much.. Today has been two boiled eggs, 100g cucumber and 100g of Rachel's Organic Yogurt, 500ml of A2 milk in drinks. That's it.

Tried explaining this to my nurse manager today. Everybody is so pleased I've put weight on, but if they really took notice of my food and when weight gain started they would time it in with Letrozole tablets. Showed her how I got calculations for all my vitamins/minerals and how under I am. She said to take a multi vitamin but then hubby came in with the box of vitamins we pay for each month. I explained if I have a piece of butternut squash for two days then I would be vastly over in my Vit A But lacking in others. Don't take B or folate as they are currently too high in my blood anyway.

Another night I may have 100g courgette fried with 100g tinned peaches and 100g of ginger yogurt.

That's all.. At weekend I will also add in a glass of red wine.

Not because I want to eat like this but because I have to.

Just saying it is possible.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I'm very interested in trying this. Since I've been low-carbing I've stopped feeling hungry for much of the time. Yesterday by lunchtime I still wasn't hungry (scrambled egg for breakfast seems to work very well) and didn't eat anything till around 3pm, when I had a handful of almonds.

By the time I got home at 6pm I was a little fuzzy headed and had a banging headache, but again, I didn't feel like I was starving. A small meal of grilled fish and vegetables was perfect.

All of this proved to me that I could push it a little further if I wanted.

Reactions: 2 people