Bacon and recovery from diabetes 2 ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2024603/Diabetes-threat-slices-bacon-day-increased-50.html

as the newly published research concludes ; that 2 slices of bacon a day increases diabetes threats by 50% , I can´t help wondering if the high fat aproach in LCHF is the right way to solve our problems with high blood glucose

what is your thoughts about that.....?

if the Newcasttle diet/cure is right about clearing the pancreas from fat cures or put the function of the pancreas and maybe hormones back in the right balance Again... is it then the best way to eat tons of high fat foods ?

the consequence of the study seems to be that fats from vegetables , nuts and avocado and alike seems to bring the diabetes risk Down and that meat and processed meat dubbles the risk of diabetes manyfolds....scary is it the meat itselv or is it what we add to the meat or is it what happens to the meat when no longer fresh ?

all in all it seems to be in tone with the statistics telling that vegans only has one forth of the risk of getting diabetes 2 and vegetarians only about two third the risk of getting it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rove-blood-sugar-levels-scientists-claim.html

Attachments

• 2323310-easy-deviled-eggs.jpg
    2323310-easy-deviled-eggs.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2024603/Diabetes-threat-slices-bacon-day-increased-50.html

as the newly published research concludes ; that 2 slices of bacon a day increases diabetes threats by 50% , I can´t help wondering if the high fat aproach in LCHF is the right way to solve our problems with high blood glucose

what is your thoughts about that.....?

if the Newcasttle diet/cure is right about clearing the pancreas from fat cures or put the function of the pancreas and maybe hormones back in the right balance Again... is it then the best way to eat tons of high fat foods ?
First of all, if it's in the Daily Hatemail you can probably ignore it; and, secondly, do we eat tons of fat? I don't think so

Reactions: Salvia and Daks

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nonsense, meats are a staple for most people on the LCHF, there is always some article with ill advice, personally for me the proof is in numbers, just check out all the signature stats of all those that post their success while eating those meats listed on that article as bad, I mean 50% !!!!! BS to that...

Numbers don't lie

:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes. I remember this nonsense. It was way back in 2011.

Firstly, the study was quoted with the usual journalistic 'interpretation'.
Secondly, the journalists who promoted this drivel managed to get confused between 'red meat' and 'processed meat'. Processed meat can also be white pink and grey, but apparently they only saw red.
Thirdly, while meat contains some fat, it is actually meat (protein), not butter, lard or dripping - or it would be called butter, lard, or dripping.

So what is it about this dreadful bacon stuff that is being claimed to be the Source of All Evil?
The fat?
The protein?
The nitrates, flavours and preservative used in the processing?
Or the side orders of white toast, hash browns, cheap sausages, brown sauce, jam and OJ?

I know where my money lies.

- and did you read the comments on that Daily Fail article? Hilarious!

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes. I remember this nonsense. It was way back in 2011.

Firstly, the study was quoted with the usual journalistic 'interpretation'.
Secondly, the journalists who promoted this drivel managed to get confused between 'red meat' and 'processed meat'. Processed meat can also be white pink and gey, but apparently they only saw red.
Thirdly, while meat contains some fat, it is actually meat (protein), not butter, lard or dripping - or it would be called butter, lard, or dripping.

So what is it about this dreadful bacon stuff that is being claimed to be the Source of All Evil?
The fat?
The protein?
Or the nitrates, flavours and preservative used in the processing?

I know where my money lies.

- and did you read the comments on that Daily Fail article? Hilarious!

well as I read the case it is both the processed meat and the red meat that raises the risk of getting diabetes very much , though the processed meat seems to be the worst ..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nonsense, meats are a staple for most people on the LCHF, there is always some article with ill advice, personally for me the proof is in numbers, just check out all the signature stats of all those that post their success while eating those meats listed on that article as bad, I mean 50% !!!!! BS to that...

Numbers don't lie

meat seems or protein seems to be very effective in keeping the blood glucose down in the optimal range... but when it comes to curing diabetes, maybe the red meat and the processed meat is not the friend we might have thought them to be... when it comes to Heart problems the red meat and probably the processed meat also seems to be bad for people in general... remember Bill Clinton becoming a vegan after having a Heart attack .... he is still alive but was told to change his whole lifestyle and choice of foods if he wanted to live the longest/ longer

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some processed meats have rusks and fillers that impact on carb intake, other than that they are just pulling up the big bad fat monster, and it's his fault the western diet is and has been so carb packed.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some processed meats have rusks and fillers that impact on carb intake, other than that they are just pulling up the big bad fat monster, and it's his fault the western diet is and has been so carb packed.
maybe you are right.. so there is nothing right in that study then ?... yes meat processed meat has been hampered with... and how about the red meat then ?

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally my diet and my whole relationship with food was turned upside down when I was diagnosed as a type 2, red meat brings me some comfort, I eat all meats and plenty of! My own journey has seen me go from 101mmol/mol to 38mmol/mol - a loss of 4 stones in weight and my cholesterol and blood pressure has dropped into normal / good ranges.

While stuffing my mooer with fatty meats! Not everyone is the same but most have similar results which i think lends validation to the theory and practise of low carb high fat, red meat included.

Id be very careful of outside information and rather look to more experienced members of this community, their diets and results.

Reactions: urbanracer

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I just find it amusing to think that Bacon became popular as a breakfast food in the United states because an unscrupulous man working for a company that produced Bacon persuaded a large number of doctors to endorse it and produced a study largely publicised by the media stating that it would be more healthy for the American public to start the day with a heavy breakfast. bacon and eggs.. Thus increasing the companies profits.

Nothing much changes does it.

Reactions: Salvia

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
how long is the longest a person has lived on the lchf-diet ? do people stop having heart attacks in the rate diabetics otherwise do in an alarming rate ?

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I have been kind of worrying all along, ok, we reduce our A1c3 numbers, but where is the imperical data concerning our heart diseases and strokes on the meat? Carotid artery testing?

You may find this video interesting. I did. :)

Reactions: Freema and Daks

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I have been kind of worrying all along, ok, we reduce our A1c3 numbers, but where is the imperical data concerning our heart diseases and strokes on the meat? Carotid artery testing?

I can't provide 'empirical' results for, but logic dictates a diabetic being more at risk from heart disease if they have poor control while eating a diet high in carbohydrates, being proportionally overweight and experiencing complications in other areas.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema - if you are worried about eating red meat and saturated animal fats you don't have to eat them - there is plenty of other things you can eat on a low carb diet and still fats from other sources - chicken, fish both white and oily, lean cuts of pork - get your fats from nuts, oils olives, avocado oily fish - I do eat red meat and bacon but not the fat as I don't like it very much - maybe look in the low carb vegetarian forum for more ideas - there are some cracking recipes in there and some very knowledgeable members who are veggie and vegan and are successful low carbers

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Bacon is a super healthy food!!

Reactions: Daks

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Freema - if you are worried about eating red meat and saturated animal fats you don't have to eat them - there is plenty of other things you can eat on a low carb diet and still fats from other sources - chicken, fish both white and oily, lean cuts of pork - get your fats from nuts, oils olives, avocado oily fish - I do eat red meat and bacon but not the fat as I don't like it very much - maybe look in the low carb vegetarian forum for more ideas - there are some cracking recipes in there and some very knowledgeable members who are veggie and vegan and are successful low carbers

yes I can avoid it if I want to, just I am afraid if we are missing something very important when not being critical about what kind of foods we eat instead of the carbs we no longer can eat in the amount healthy people can..

is the low blood glucose the only important nail in creating a healthy body and to live longer or are there many other components creating the much shorter lifespan that diabetics do have en general... like 10-20 years earlier death and very often very low life quality the last many years of our lives...

My personal goal is to finally end up cured.. not only managing diabetes 2 ... but after I came to this forum it seems to me that the most people in here thinks it is an illusion that we actually can get cured and return to normal regulation of blood glucose ...

why shouldn´t diabetes 2 be an illness that could be curable ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
yes I can avoid it if I want to, just I am afraid if we are missing something very important when not being critical about what kind of foods we eat instead of the carbs we no longer can eat in the amount healthy people can..

is the low blood glucose the only important nail in creating a healthy body and to live longer or are there many other components creating the much shorter lifespan that diabetics do have en general... like 10-20 years earlier death and very often very low life quality the last many years of our lives...

My personal goal is to finally end up cured.. not only managing diabetes 2 ... but after I came to this forum it seems to me that the most people in here thinks it is an illusion that we actually can get cured and return to normal regulation of blood glucose ...

why shouldn´t diabetes 2 be an illness that could be curable ?
Because there are so manyy diseases that currently aren't curable; diabetes is one of them. T2 can often be pushed into remission thru the right diet.

Reactions: JimH and Freema