1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bacon and recovery from diabetes 2 ?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Freema, Sep 10, 2016.

1. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Perhaps it can be cured through a change in diet (but this will not work for everyone). However, if you do cure your diabetes through a change in diet, then it is quite likely that you can't go back to what you ate before. Some will say that this means you're not actually cured. To me it's an academic question. My blood glucose levels are normal with the way I now eat. If I went to doctor that I'd never seen before, they'd never diagnose me as diabetic. They'd likely not even ask what I ate, but just look at my blood test results and declare me non-diabetic.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

yes guess you are right in those arguments

3. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Well there is your mistake the idea that people who eat large amounts of carbohydrates can be thought of as healthy I don't believe that to be true. They may not be diabetic but that does not mean they are healthy.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

a lot of persons in here have managed to get a very very low blood glucose even lower than the "normal" healthy blood glucose of about 4-4,5 mmol .... can´t it at all be unhealthy to have a constant low blood glucose of lower than 4 mmol ?

5. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

large amount of carbs what is that 200 grams of carbs a day or 400 grams or 600 grams ?

6. Salvia

Salvia Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The report says:
    "There is now widespread evidence that red meat drastically increases the likelihood of major health problems including heart disease, strokes and some types of cancer."

but they don't give any info about what this 'widespread evidence' consists of, or where it can be found. (at least, I didn't notice any reference in the report). Sorry, I can't take seriously anything that doesn't give me facts that I can check out for myself - I wasn't on the scene in 2011 so didn't see it then).

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. NoCrbs4Me

I doubt there are too many former type 2 diabetics walking around with a BG constantly under 4 mmol/L. However, unless a person is experiencing hypoglycemic symptoms, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

in this comunity in here there are quite a lot with a very low blood glucose and a Hb1Ac lower than 3.8

9. Daks

Daks Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally I don't believe in 'curing' type 2 diabetes, I do however know you can 'shelf it' and have a HBA1C that of a non diabetic, for me type2 doesn't have to be a progressive disease, that's as good as a cure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. NoCrbs4Me

I don't believe that's true. 3.8% would be ridiculously low.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

have you read peoples numbers the are so many in here with that very low numbers

12. NoCrbs4Me

No, I haven't seen anyone with an HbA1c less than 3.8%, which would be less than 18 mmol/mol, on the forum.

13. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

maybe I have been reading the numbers wrongly.. and the number is really 37 or 38 mg/dL sorry for me mistaking so much

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. I have honestly never seen anyone that low on the forum.

I am confused as to why you are using DCCT % when you are in Denmark and are recently diagnosed. Do they not use IFCC measurements there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

sorry I have been reading the numbers wrongly

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. NoCrbs4Me

That's ok. It takes a while to get the hang of the different units and measurements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

yes that is interesting ... :) how is it in the long run is it still as healthy... seems people Loose weight the fastest when lchf-dieting but after one year those on lclf-diet has lost about the same amount of weight if the 2 Groups eat the same amount of calories..

19. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Well yes.

Personally on a LCHF diet I have lost almost 7 stones in weight and reduced HbA1c to lower than pre-diabetes level also cholesterol levels are fine..

My cardio-vascular consultant is quite happy about that

• Winner Winner x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook