everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing springs to mind :)
Hi everyone.

It's been a while since I've been on. I hope y'all doing good tonight! :)

I would ask this question on a food forum but why would I when this forum is full of great people who know a lot about food.

I have never tasted them that I can remember.

I do not know what made me buy some but I bought 2 today and thought that I'd ask you all firstly, what they taste like and secondly what your favorite way(s) of cooking them are and what they go well with?

Anyone? :)

Edited: 22:00 26/09. In case you missed it... I bought sweet potatoes. :)

Last edited:

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone.

I would ask this question on a food forum but why would I when this forum is full of great people who know a lot about food.

I do not know what made me buy some but I bought 2 today and thought that I'd ask you all firstly, what they taste like and secondly what your favorite way(s) of cooking them are and what they go well with?

Did I miss what you bought Everway9?

Reactions: everway9

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
lol... sorry..... As the thread title... Sweet Potatoes. :)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
lol... sorry..... As the thread title... Sweet Potatoes. :)
Ooops... duh! I hadn't seen it, sorry:meh:. Personally I do not like them. Far to sweet for my taste in veg!

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi ellagy. Thanks for your reply.

Ahaaa... so they 'are' sweet in taste then. That's interesting.... Some people say that are not sweet... just sweeter than a normal potato. I suppose it depends on personal taste. :D

Last edited:

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Is it me being stupid or unobservant but how do I quote someones text in a reply?

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah its ok i found it... Highlight the text and select reply

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.

Edited: 22:00 26/09. In case you missed it... I bought sweet potatoes. :)

Hi Everway

I buy these periodically. I cook them in a couple of different ways

1. Boil, them mash them

2. Cut into wedges, sprinkle with paprika (or chilli) and bake for about 40 minutes in a moderate oven

3. Soup - cut into cubes, add paprika, garlic, onions, cook until soft, then blitz with a hand blender. Top with a little bit of cream and parsley

To me they taste of a cross between a swede and a potato. I like them but only buy them when they are clean (dont ask)

Happy cooking

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ahaaa... so they 'are' sweet in taste then. That's interesting.... Some people say that are not sweet... just sweeter than a normal potato. I suppose it depends on personal taste

I find they are much sweeter in taste, I like them roasted with other vegetables or use one in a soup as a thickener (I'm type 1 btw).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hubby microwaves 2 of them for 5 minutes and cuts them up chunky to put them in his curry. He uses chicken or salmon, 300ml chicken stock, 400ml coconut milk, 1/2 jar of pataks paste. Adds in frozen broccoli (this is the only bit I can eat) so I can get a wee taste of curry and he adds in pepper and onions too. He lets it all simmer in a big frying pan for about an hour. If he uses 3 breasts he'll get 6 meals (he separates some broccoli out for me). He'll then fry up spiralised courgette with butter to have with it. I'll have some of the spiralised deskinned courgette.

S

Shar67

You can slice them thin and cook in toaster. I like jacket sweet potato.
Anything you can do with a plain potato you can do with a sweet one

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like jacket sweet potatoes too. I find they work better for my blood sugar than normal potatoes. I'm Type 1. I also like them mashed, and roasted to make chunky sweet potato chips.

C

catherinecherub

They make nice chips.
Wash them but do not peel.
Cut into rounds about 1/2 inch thick.
Place them on a baking tray and drizzle with oil and then add the spice of your choice. (Curry, paprika, garlic, rosemary etc....)
Obviously you will have to test with your meter. They do not raise my blood sugars when eaten with protein and several vegetables.
I would think on their own you might get a high reading.

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all so much for your replies. There are some really good ideas you have posted.

Last night I actually tried roasting them in the oven. I peeled, cut into big chunks and simmered for 5 mins then melted a small amount of goose fat and butter and added some freshly squeezed garlic.

lol.. I was expecting them to be crispy like the roast potatoes I sometimes make. Maybe I didn't bake them for long enough. They were more mushy than crispy. WOW they were nice though.

Next time(s) I will try some of your excellent recopies/ideas. lol... I like the toaster idea! :) I also think mashed would be v.nice too. :)

Thank you all again for your input. :)

Reactions: azure

traceysteven

Hello I have cooked sweet potato before I wash them as I don't take off the the skin
I cut them into wedges spray them with the one calorie fry-light
Then sprinkle on some paprika or peri peri spices and then roast in the oven for about one hour as I like the skin crispy
On gas mark number 6

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
spray them with the one calorie fry-light

Hi traceysteven. Thanks for your input. :) Whats 'one calorie fry-light'? Sounds good. However surely the 'one calorie' depends on how much you use. :D Sorry... a bad attempt at a joke. ;)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does leaving the skins on add rigidity to the otherwise aubergine/courgette type soft texture?

:) Maybe I used a little bit too much goose fat, butter and garlic when trying to roast my sweet potatoes last night :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Maybe I used a little bit too much goose fat, butter and garlic when trying to roast my sweet potatoes last night :)

They would just soak-up all the fat.............hence why they were soggy.

When we roast garlic we just roast the cloves whole :)

everway9

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah ha. Yes... that makes sense. I should have realized. Thanks noblehead. ;)