First 7 Day Fast COMPLETED!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What exactly counts as fasting? - I understand the eating nothing at all type of fasting, but when you include bullet proof coffee and cream into it, is it a different sort of fasting? Is it about calories or ketosis, of have I just completely misunderstood? I don't mean to be controversial, I'm just confused. What's the difference between a VLCD and fasting? Sorry for all the questions. :/

@AndBreathe asked exactly the same question here - and got an interesting range of answers. :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-is-a-fast-not-a-fast.107691/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What exactly counts as fasting? - I understand the eating nothing at all type of fasting, but when you include bullet proof coffee and cream into it, is it a different sort of fasting? Is it about calories or ketosis, of have I just completely misunderstood? I don't mean to be controversial, I'm just confused. What's the difference between a VLCD and fasting? Sorry for all the questions. :/
This question was asked when I mentioned before that I had been drinking fortified coffee (it's not really a bulletproof) whilst "fasting" . That is partly why I tried an alternative method for the second time. It would appear that for me the fortified coffee doesn't make much of a difference in weight loss (thus nicely refuting the calories theory) or blood sugars or ketones. So I would say that you could do either and still be "fasting". I take that to mean not eating anything ...others have a different definition. I would quote the great Dr Fung who I think said "If it's working who gives a ****?".
I would just say that when having the fortified coffee my hunger pangs seem less which made the whole process a lot easier.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and I'm the same - except that my weight loss is always much slower than anyone else.

I find water fasts pretty unbearable, while I find fat fasts almost effortless.
So on a fast day, I have a couple of fat bombs, once or twice during the morning and afternoon, and just eat in the evening - effectively fat fasting from 7pm to 7pm.

Very effective in reducing my insulin resistance, which is the point of the exercise for me. Weight loss would be nice, but it is very secondary, IMO. :)