1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

First 7 Day Fast COMPLETED!!

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by KevinPotts, Jul 3, 2016.

1. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

You'll disappear!..
    Last ate Friday eve.. trying for a 7 dayer myself.. good luck.
    Regards
    M

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin I admire your progress here!

What sort of exercise are you doing and do you change it when you are fasting? I've just come back from holiday and could do with losing some weight; think I may try a shorter fast.

Thanks

Dillinger

3. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi there
    i'm currently reading Jason Fung on fasting and intermittent fasting. I currently eat in a 6 hour window which is fairly easy due to being at work. what you are doing is at another level. Awesome!

4. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Starting with just 24 hours is good. Fasting is not principally for weight. I am now 70kg and maintaining over 3 months.

When fasting I don't change anything, exercise as hard as normal, which for me is a 1 mile run daily, fitness class, kettle bell
    class and 3 times with weight resistance at the gym, but that's just me:)

Fasting primarily jump starts your insult n sensitivity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KevinPotts

Thanks. That's a great way to start and exactly the way I got into the rhythm of fasting.

Congratulations on what I am sure will be a successful journey:)

6. debbiedoodles

debbiedoodles Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How's it going?

7. bulkbiker

Fine thanks.. counting down to tonights takeaway curry.. It has been lot easier than I thought. Probably due to the bullet proof coffee I have been having once a day. 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil in a latte made with a cream and water mix. I haven;t had to have any mouthfuls of cream as a hunger pang killer and haven't really felt hungry at all. Did feel a bit odd one afternoon with a 3.8 reading but think that may have been low salt. After a glass of eater its half a teaspoon of salt was fine again.
    Got well into ketosis with my best reading ever of 3.5 mmol/l after 5 days.. unfortunately have now run out of strips. Lost 8 pounds in weight. All in all pretty successful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. debbiedoodles

Wow that's amazing! Well done. I am psyching myself up to do it next week. I can cope with ketosis as after couple days you don't get that hungry, but I love my wine at weekend and don't like to be in ketosis when drinking as I once had a convulsion on an aeroplane after 6 weeks of ketosis on a vlcd. I've also had hypos when drinking so need to up the carbs a bit when have wine. It's the last thing I am prepared to give up! I can do without food but not wine lol. What's your plan next?

9. bulkbiker

Have a week of not fasting and see if the weight goes back on.. probably just eat once a day apart from the BPC

10. debbiedoodles

Good luck with it. Are you taking any supplements or flax for fibre?

11. bulkbiker

I don't take any supplements apart from a half teaspoon of salt in the morning in a glass of water and some psyllium husk capsules to help with poo.. (although not sure they work especially well).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Debmcgee

Debmcgee Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Fasting gets easier once the body is fat adapted. I'm due my next three day fast in a couple of weeks...

Well done boys! X

13. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

I've been fasting, just eating one meal around 7pm. I like a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend too, but drink them after eating around 9pm. Hasn't caused any problem.

14. debbiedoodles

Hi Deb

Are you not eating anything on your 3 day fast? I'm wondering about fibre as already struggling. I am having some flax but it gives me stomach ache :(

15. jonbvn

jonbvn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This seems to be the case for me. I started on LCHF 2 weeks ago. My first weeks FBG readings were all around low 6.0's. From Monday of this week I tried out 5:2 IF (Monday & Thursday) with LCHF on other days. On Tuesday morning my FBG was 5.6. It has dropped a few 0.1's per day since, with this morning's FBG at 5.1. It is obviously far too early to draw any conclusions. However, the signs do look very positive.

One of the interesting things I have found is that being on LCHF my hunger pangs on fasting days were not that bad at all. I had tried fasting previously, when my hunger pangs were so bad I could hardly sleep.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bulkbiker

That's why I think you should do LCHF before fasting as you have.
    Once you drop the carbs you don't get the withdrawal symptoms when you don't eat. As your body is burning fat anyway then the switch to burning its stored fat is easier so you don't get the pangs anywhere near as much. I have found exactly the same thing... great isn't it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. KevinPotts

Absolutely brilliant!!!!!

18. KevinPotts

Well done. I've been on this path for just over 5 months now and the journey you are following has literally changed my life.... Keep going:)

19. bulkbiker

Thanks Kevin
    You of course being my inspiration..
    Regards
    M

20. hornplayer

hornplayer · Well-Known Member

What exactly counts as fasting? - I understand the eating nothing at all type of fasting, but when you include bullet proof coffee and cream into it, is it a different sort of fasting? Is it about calories or ketosis, of have I just completely misunderstood? I don't mean to be controversial, I'm just confused. What's the difference between a VLCD and fasting? Sorry for all the questions. :/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook