The Hidden Killer. Type 2 Diabetes.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Except that it's not. After bariatric surgery, they are told what they can eat. Those who are morbidly obese still struggle to eat small amounts and there are a fair number who still overeat and eat the wrong things. It still requires a mindset change to not try and beat what your body is telling you.
I agree there will always be someone for whom it does not work and they gradually eat more and more

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know nothing of making a TV program, as a collective here we must have some members who do? Can we not make a non-panorama special in reply to this appalling 'show'.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a newly diagnosed T2 ( August this year ) I have really had my eyes opened to how wrong most of the dietary advice I have followed most of my adult life has been. I have always struggled with my weight- I now recognise it was probably symptomatic of emerging insulin resistance - genetically the dice were loaded against me - grandmother/mother all suffered badly from complications from type 2, brother diagnosed at 55, 5 years ago - (he has never has been overweight.). The only useful advice I have gleaned has been from this site - get a meter, go LCHF and I think I am making good progress - And now from what I consider to be a better informed position, I am staggered by the ignorance surrounding this condition, and the truly shocking advice from the NHS regarding carb consumption. It's almost as no one will admit that the general dietary advice to the general population for the last 30 years is simply wrong, and probably contributed to the epidemic levels of T2 we are seeing - last night Panorama not even mentioned potential cause, apart from the lazy journalist line of 'triggered by bad diet and lack of exercise'' What shocked me the most about the program was the laid back approach ( denial ?) to BG levels in the teens !

Reactions: Prem51

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We watched this last night.

My husband is now asking me about my lower-carb approach to eating. There is talk of him swimming again. He has just had two boiled eggs and a mug of tea for breakfast, rather than porridge. This evening we will have homemade curry, and we will both have it with the same (my favourite!) accompaniment of cauliflower whizzed with salt, pepper and fresh coriander. Usually I have this and he has basmati rice - lots of it. Strawberries and cream for pudding.

Changes to lunch will also be forthcoming, but today's for him will be a sandwich.

His BMI is within the acceptable range, but at the very top end. He's not in excellent shape physically (although he's gorgeous).

It's a start. I was absolutely horrified by many things shown in the programme (my jaw dropped to the floor, for instance, when the surgeon crassly described the lady's imminent leg amputation to the patient herself as 'a big step') BUT it was an excellent wake-up call for me (as a type 1 of 30 years) to jolly well keep going with as optimum control of the condition as possible. The complications are absolutely shocking. Despite being warned of these things many, many times over the years, I had no clue of their sheer bleak grittiness.

And if my until-last-night carb fiend of a husband is on board with this for the sake of his own health too, then Panorama I applaud you. I make no apology for that applause.

:)

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the other hand, on being diagnosed as T2 back in Dec 2013 I substantially reduced the amount I ate, followed the NHS guidelines and adopted a balanced diet, and within three months and ever since thereafter my HBa1C levels have been in the none diabetic range. O

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's almost as no one will admit that the general dietary advice to the general population for the last 30 years is simply wrong, and probably contributed to the epidemic levels of T2 we are seeing

Food industry is big money - money talks

Syd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I could see, the patients featured on last night's Panorama had NOT been following the NHS dietary guidelines and were or had been over consuming food or drink. There is no NHS dietary guideline to the effect that you must eat copious amounts of milk chocolate with or after every meal.

I thought that the object of the program was to show that T2 Diabetes was an illness of epidemic proportions, which for its sufferers had potentially serious consequences and in that regard it achieved its object. Whenever a program such as this is shown there is the usual complaints that 'it's too negative' etc. If Panorama made a program showing a group of trim, well-controlled T2 Diabetics enjoying life, then it would not be negative but it is hard to see what good it would do anyone by way of warning. The sub-text of last night's program was that T2 Diabetes can be controlled, and indeed can be avoided, but over consumption of food and/or drink will in some cases lead to T2 and in some cases the results will be catastrophic.

The patients shown (the male nurse and the lady who had bariatric surgery) did not seem to have been following NHS dietary guidelines, so how can their condition can be blamed on that? They had not been following any form of disciplined diet nor any form of exercise regime, this resulted in weight gain and T2.

A program intended to shock and one that achieved its purpose.

Reactions: Snapsy and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to let people know, I have started a new thread showing how it is possible to avoid the NHS costs and reduce the complication risks that this programme mentions.

This is the thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/thr...ike-that-panorama-programme-suggested.108923/

It lists the various options open to us Type 2s, that I think are MUCH better than Eatwell Plate carb eating, bariatric surgery and complications.

S

Shar67

Whatever gave you that idea? I'm type 2 and "eating to the meter" has kept my blood sugar down to normal levels for the past 6 months, it's an excellent strategy if you can afford it, or get your doctor to prescribe the strips.
What I meant is it is showing type 2s using a meter, but unless you are on hypo inducing meds type 2s have to self fund meters, i saw it like you are all on meters you know your bg is high but you still eat junk, which just isn't the case.
I also posted to BBC Facebook page and some woman posted eat less no problems, yes you can eat less but if you are eating high carb foods it doesn't help.

S

Shar67

Couldn't watch the program but I wonder what their answer is for people with T2 who are not overweight?

It doesn't matter if your not overweight, you must eat junk food to be diabetic, that's what the underlying message was.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dismayed and furious. Why were there no T2s on the programme who were managing their diabetes with some success? Why did they not look more deeply into the flawed diet advice being dished out?
Well if you thought the Beeb was independent.................

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you @Tipetoo for posting that video. I did notice that the only thing told to the young boy was eat less. I also noticed the 1000 calorie pre surgery diet started the day with oatmeal and apples. The whole thing is tragic and these professionals talking about the problem don't know they are in a large part helping in creating it. The patients seemed completely lacking in any knowledge of their condition. They knew what complications were possible but had no idea why or how to stop it. Unfortunately this is a reality around the world, not just in the UK. I also noticed that many of the doctors and nurses telling people what to do were very overweight themselves. Hard to take it serious when someone bigger than you is telling you what your diet should look like.

S

Shar67

But most people are fat!

So is the increase in diabetes just coincidental to the increased bmi of the population?
I don't know but it would be interesting to look at the figures.

Does type 2 make you fat, or being fat gives you type 2. Bearing in mind not all fat people are diabetic and not all type 2s are fat

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . followed the NHS guidelines and adopted a balanced diet, and within three months and ever since thereafter my HBa1C levels have been in the none diabetic range.

I'm very pleased that following NHS guidelines works for you and if you're not taking any medication to help with your HbA1c, that's even more pleasing.

However, from a personal point of view, although I expect there will be several other forum members in the same boat, if I was to return to the NHS guideline of 1/3 calories in form of carbs, I would have to take gliclazide and januvia again, then progress to injecting insulin (I was at that point when I low carb'd to lose weight) because my pancreas had become knackered with producing excess insulin. My weight would have increased because gliclazide did that before (I didn't even have to change my diet, thanks NHS). So no brainer, eat what's recommended and take more drugs or just cut my carbs. Simple!

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In a radio interview early yesterday the doctor from the programme featured in connection with children started off by remarking that his patients would have be born with a genetic predisposition towards T2 and it would be the other factors such as diet that had triggered it especially early. If he made that point to the TV crew it never made it to the screen.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The big guy was boasting that he didn't self medicate with alcohol but he stole his kids chocolate to self medicate his sugar levels. Rather ironic?