• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well letter of complaint sent off..will wait for the usual platitudes that usually arrive...

Reactions: Prem51

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No control of chocolate, but then says he doesn't turn to alcohol or drugs, an addiction is an addiction no matter what, don't be a hypocrite, people with addictive personalities swap addictions,

In fairness to him he was quite open about why he had a eating disorder, saying he suffers from depression and there was a long-standing family history of depression and binge eating.

Depression and eating disorders can go hand-in-hand and each one can trigger the other unfortunately.

Reactions: Prem51 and azure

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
No control of chocolate, but then says he doesn't turn to alcohol or drugs, an addiction is an addiction no matter what, don't be a hypocrite, people with addictive personalities swap addictions, the program didn't look at type 2's who were proactive, just those that needed surgery, typical biased BBC looking at the worst case scenarios, rather than those looking to lead a normal life.
So sad that chap - a true sugar addict - his wife could help by not buying chocolate and leaving it in the house - if he can sniff it out - so don't have it there for him to eat. Remove temptation. I know its easy to say but if you want to change your life and your health prospects you need to take control. I do feel sorry for him though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So sad that chap - a true sugar addict - his wife could help by not buying chocolate and leaving it in the house - if he can sniff it out - so don't have it there for him to eat. Remove temptation. I know its easy to say but if you want to change your life and your health prospects you need to take control. I do feel sorry for him though.
Sadly, inter-dependency is quite common where the carer needs someone to 'care' for and therefore feeds the patient whatever he/she wants to perpetuate the caring need. It's a very difficult cycle to break without counselling for both.

Reactions: Struma and Prem51

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
The worst bit is she is inadvertently setting the kids up in the bad eating habits that likely got her hubby into the situation. So sad.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
t
I have a South African doctor who actually trained under Tim Noakes. Small worls as I am in small town Canada. He is not allowed to recommend low carb as it goes against the official guidelines but he did tell me to go online and look up the glycemic index and carbohydrates. He certainly nudged me towards low carb without crossing the line that could get him in trouble. When I was rediagnosed this time I just said "back to atkins" and he agreed. They can approve your choice once you say you are doing it but cannot tell you to do it in the first place. It is all a stupid mind game and even the good doctors are caught in it as well.

This BS should be illegal..it's killing people & they are all in collusion? SHAMEFUL!!

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Coffee w/heavy cream, I make a home made low carb bread that has really helped me stay on track.
Having phoned my doctor for a proactive way of controlling my diabetes, to be told she was far too busy to talk to me, and my nurse is overworked and cannot phone me, it seems when we have a reaction they have to take us seriously, I have asked for medical help, and nobody is interested, this forum has given me more advice than any medical person, they put us into a pocket give us medicine, and don't want to know when we know we are in difficulties.

That's because the medical profession doesn't care about your health, they are just trained to "treat disease" & if you don't have a disease, you're not part of their profit margin. You are worth more w/T2D on meds than you are healthy or dead.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The worst bit is she is inadvertently setting the kids up in the bad eating habits that likely got her hubby into the situation. So sad.

I think you maybe being a bit harsh on the Mrs. She said she had tried to moderate her husband's habits, without success, and was concentrating giving the children a healthy diet. To be a carer / support in such a situation is near impossible, there have been a number of threads on these forums where, often, a wife is at her wits end trying to get her partner to understand the position they are in. To be able to step back and concentrate on the kids is hard. Chocolate should play a role in children's food experience, it's the role of adults to moderate the inputs.

Mokkijo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Seems the medical fraternity see bariatric surgery as the way forward. Probably true as low carbing takes a lot of discipline.
LC diet is very,very difficult & you are right, a HUGE amount of discipline. Sometimes I don't want to go out w/friends because I have to eat the same old boring stuff. But I have had to redefine my social life/social circles & the things that are fun to do---eating junk food is something I am glad doesn't make me happy anymore.

Pre-D 2 years
LC (under 50 grams carbs/day) moderate fat diet
A1C: 5.7
BS in the 90's or PP low 100's
5'5" 120 lbs.
NO meds.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Most T2s get insulin resistance years, if not decades before they gain weight and develop T2.
Once the weight gain starts, the insulin resistance increases even more, and a fatty liver often develops.

The common feature for T2s is NOT being overweight and having a fatty liver. It is the insulin resistance which then causes the weight gain and fatty liver - which then becomes a vicious cycle of increasing fat, increasing insulin resistance and increasing T2.

Slim T2s may not be fat, but they DO have insulin resistance, and MAY have fatty livers. They may also have damaged beta cells which reduces their capacity to produce their own insulin.

Plus, of course, that not all T2 insulin resistance is caused by eating carbs. It can be genetic, environmental, caused by drug treatments... there are many other causes.

Personally, my insulin resistance comes from
- genetics
- a drug I take for another medical condition
- that medical condition itself
- AND being overweight.

The first 3 reasons pre-date my being fat by about 15 years.

As a result of these, my carb tolerance (before my blood glucose rises) is well below that of the carb intake recommended by the NHS. If I followed their diet, I would feel dreadful, have uncontrolled blood glucose and/or be on several medications. I would also be fatter.

I prefer low carbing.
Hi there,
That's interesting about insulin resistance developing before weight gain. I thought it developed as a consequence (or hand in hand) with fat build up (all over the body). Do you have a reference for more info about this? I would like to learn more about insulin resistance and what the causes and contributing factors are. Bx

Reactions: Struma and Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sadly, inter-dependency is quite common where the carer needs someone to 'care' for and therefore feeds the patient whatever he/she wants to perpetuate the caring need. It's a very difficult cycle to break without counselling for both.

He said he'd 'stolen' the children's chocolate. His wife didn't buy it for him or feed it to him. He was also shown buying chocolate for himself while out.

I felt sorry for him and thought he was very honest about his depression and binge eating.

apache

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It should've been called 'Diabetes:Dumb People get it too'. The documentary will do wonders for people who know little or nothing about the ailment by making them think it's totally self-inflicted!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have bipolar and used to be a sugar/chocolate addict so I can see where that chap cones from. Since becoming type 2, I have overcome my addiction to them but it was very hard

Fox1001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
People that enable each other should have separate therapy, or they will stick to the same language, having worked within counseling for a long while, it's almost always best to treat individuals, couples are pre-determined to help each other, they don't accept faults it's a no win situation.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Posted into this thread without comment for info:

a04e4c6806cf4b1ee734dc67ee74ecc1.png

f1c85272f4ff79d6b9c4baa6eab65cae.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Struma

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Posted into this thread without comment:

a04e4c6806cf4b1ee734dc67ee74ecc1.png

f1c85272f4ff79d6b9c4baa6eab65cae.png

I see that. Given it was not a "balanced" program, it set out to say how bad the situation is for a growing number of people and it succeeded pretty well.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I sometimes think that this forum does miss the broader view. Someone earlier commented that the BBC would be receiving 100,000 letters from forum members. When you consider that is around 3% of the total T2 population in the UK, you can see why there is such a long way to go. Whilst on here T2 may not be approached the way the documentary portrayed, this is the enlightened few. The only way that you're going to get this improved is by standing up and shouting. Going into clinics and saying "No you're wrong". Giving examples of why. Making noise and making HCPs feel uncomfortable.

Change doesn't come from complaining on the forum, it comes when we take it into the community and make it happen. So if each and everyone who was unhappy with that documentary goes to their GP and says "No, you're wrong, and this is why", you'll be making a start. Join the T2 groups in your area and show them the light. You don't need to reach many, but unless that's what's done, dogma will prevail and nothing will change.