• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Tinmis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
illness
I don't think they needed to be so graphic on the amputation. However, It's hit home with this body, I hadn't strayed too far from the right track, but this has made me reflect on my behaviours. Thanks goodness I don't have a sweet seriously sweet tooth. It just those bloody magnums always between me and the petrol pump counter. Grrr!

Ems78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone watch the programme about Diabetes on bbc 1 tonight? What are your thoughts?

S

Shar67

Well it didnt tell us anything new.
No advise on diet.
Showing type 2s testing on meter, no this is only for those on insulin.
IMO not a good use of programme space, scaremongering at it's best.

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems the medical fraternity see bariatric surgery as the way forward. Probably true as low carbing takes a lot of discipline.

kdavies2709

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Watching it now. Scaring the **** out of me to be honest. I've been type 2 for about a year and this is terrifying.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
I saw the first 5 minutes then switched it off!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quote from programme: "Type 1 diabetes - the type you're born with"

What on earth??? I'm not going to trust much they say now!

My only comment would be that it was a fast, clear message that T1 is not a lifestyle condition, whereas, sometimes T2 can be. As the programme was focusing on T2 (and I won't start on my views of their particular take on it), at least they tackled the "why don't they differentiate" comments.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was really nothing on prevention strategies, certainly at GP level, just chop away the stomach and bob's yer Uncle, sorted.
Still alarming to see Napoleonic war surgery is alive and well.... does the job I suppose.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A somewhat less sensational program was on before this on BBC1 Wales - Fat v Carbs with Jamie Owen. It should be available shortly on iplayer.

The program provided quite a balanced approach (IMHO). It certainly questioned the current NHS dietary guidelines. It was nice to see that after 3 weeks on LCHF the presenter's cholesterol was down and he had lost half a stone in weight.

I will post this in the low carb diet forum, since I think it adds value.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xwstx

Reactions: CathP and Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@AndBreathe Yes, I'm glad they differentiated, but saying such a wrong thing just perpetuates a myth. I think it was definitely a mistake rather than an attempt to be brief. It doesn't take a minute to fact check with a reputable source.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm T1 and it scared me so much seeing T2 struggle it's so scary what can happen. I need to get healthier and get my yearly reviews done but i'm always scared when i go to hospital to get my bp done >.<

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well if I was depressed before show, I am now!
Aimed to scare people into changing their diet but no details of which diet to change to. Thank god for these forums.
My son said "isnt that the type 2 you have mum?" As he looked horrified that his mum will get black feet and need her leg chopped off.
I've had to reasure him I'm looking after my health. Which I am.
So we should all have bariatric op. I'm still in 2 minds.
The nhs are panicking and ops are the solution. What if they have that wrong like they've had the diet over the years?

Reactions: girl afraid

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems the medical fraternity see bariatric surgery as the way forward. Probably true as low carbing takes a lot of discipline.
I have to say I've not had so much trouble with LCHF in spite of having NO self-discipline ;) I think the reason for this is because of the increased fat, eating butter and cream. The cream, in particular, seems to satisfy my sweet tooth, even though I only have very small desserts, ie one or two dessert spoons of Muller Lite yoghurt (7.9 gm Carbs/100 gms) with the same amount of double cream. It doesn't spike due to the cream and I love it :) I also enjoy eating walnuts and cheese, plus meat and lots of salad and vegs.

I've tried WW and Slimming World with no success whatsoever. I've now lost almost 20% of my body weight in just less than a year but only been on lower carbs for the past few months. So, really pleased with results. Just hope cholestrol hasn't shot up as a result - will find out on next blood test :( Fingers crossed ...

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Showing type 2s testing on meter, no this is only for those on insulin.
Whatever gave you that idea? I'm type 2 and "eating to the meter" has kept my blood sugar down to normal levels for the past 6 months, it's an excellent strategy if you can afford it, or get your doctor to prescribe the strips.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While watching this program this evening, I really wondered why the people, like the guy in the film, felt that bariatric surgery would be such a wonderful cure to his not being able to diet! He seemed to think that the surgery would solve all his eating problems but I suppose he feels this is his only chance.

I've heard of people, after bariatric surgery, melting chocolate so that they can 'eat' it!!!

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
Couldn't watch the program but I wonder what their answer is for people with T2 who are not overweight?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I only caught the last few minutes and that was bad enough they have plenty of answers for T2D it's just there all the wrong ones eat carbs take meds have surgery.

Wife didn't want to watch it as she was depressed enough after spending the day typing clinical letters in the diabetes department of the local hospital.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The metabolic dysfunction that results in becoming type 2 is what causes carb addiction and weight gain. Gaining weight is a SYMPTOM and like every other disease, not everyone has every symptom. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to go jogging but they tell people with broken glucose metabolism to eat plenty of carbs and then blame them when they gain weight. I have not seen this show but it seems like it is yet another sensationalist, mainstream report with not much attempt at finding out what the research is actually saying now and not 20 years ago.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Yes, I'm glad they differentiated, but saying such a wrong thing just perpetuates a myth. I think it was definitely a mistake rather than an attempt to be brief. It doesn't take a minute to fact check with a reputable source.

I doubt many non-diabetics would feel moved to go to the detail, to be honest.

I know it's very, very frustrating, and I empathise. We T2s are pretty sick of being painted, wholesale into the image of self-inflicted condition. For me, I am certain lifestyle had an impact on the lead up to my diagnosis, but clearly, as evidenced by many, many folks whose predicament of luuurve handles, stress and ridiculous travelling encouraging snacking and more ready meal/sandwich style options than was, looking back, good for me.

Again, I stress two wrongs don't make a right; just trying to work out a reason that could have been said.