what are your thoughts of diet coke and the like ?

Trescoe1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the above posts, very helpful. I have had unusual symptoms of late and having been trying to tie them back to a cause/affect. I noticed it after the odd Zero sprite over several weeks. I read up on aspartame intolerance and I am wondering if I have that “tee shirt”

Will take the general consensus I think and stay away from them. Will go back to my 2 litres of water a day. The tap water here is grim but will stick with the bottled version.

Reactions: Freema

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Aspartame is probably the safest substance added to food ever.
Probably? Is that why it failed to get FDA approval for several years on the trot, (a U.S. FDA task force team reviewed 11 aspartame studies submitted by the manufacturer, G.D. Searle. The team reported "serious deficiencies in Searle's operations and practices"). until Ronald Reagan became president and appointed a new director of the FDA (Arthur Hayes Jr) in April 1981? No conspiracy there then? LOL
I think I'll stick with the advice given to me by several of my old chums. They were research chemists at G.D.Searle in the late 70s and early 80s

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Will go back to my 2 litres of water a day. The tap water here is grim but will stick with the bottled version.
I think you're probably better off with the water, that's just an opinion. Are any of the water purifiers any good, they seem to claim that they remove all sorts of things.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink about 5 cans of Pepsi Max or Sprite Zero a week other than that it' tea, coffee or tap water - I don't like the taste of bottled water!. If I'm out it's either tea, coffee or lime and soda.

Dark Horse

One of the reasons I avoid tap water here apart from the awful taste is that it is fluoridated and it can affect BG levels adversly.

In fact a friend was told by her consultant not to drink it as she had extremely high BG and was having great difficulty bringing it down.

"Clinical Study of Effect of High Fluoride on the Function of the Pancreas Islet B Cells

XIE, Yong-ping1, GE Xiang-jin2, JIANG Yu-4ng3, FENG Ming-ying1, FAN Ying-yi1, Wang Fu-lun1, WEI Zeng-fu1,
ZHAO Gui-lu3, QIN-Ai-qiong1
1Gaomi People’s Hospital, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500, China
2Gaomi Epidemic Prevention Stations, Shandong Province, Gaomi 261500
3Gaomi Endemic Disease Prevention Office, Shandong, Gaomi 261500

Objective To study the effect of excessive fluoride intake on the function of pancreas islet’s B cells.
Methods: We performed x-rays, determined the [F] in the urine, conducted OGTT insulin and C-peptide releasing tests in
the serum, and analysed the drinking water quality of the exposed group and control group.
Results: (1) The [F] in drinking water and the geometrical mean of the [F] in the urine of the people of the exposed group
were higher than those of the control group. (2) The fastng blood glucose concentration and the peak value after oral
glucose in the exposed group were higher than those of the control group. The peak value was found later in the
exposed group than in the control group. (3) The detectable rate of Diabetes and IGT in the exposed group was higher
than that in the control group. (4) The blood-insulin and C-peptide in the exposed group were lower than in the control
group, although the peak value after oral glucose was found later in the exposed group.
Conclusions: Excessive fluoride can do much harm to the function of the pancreas islet B cells and the effects change with the degree of fluorosis."

link http://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/uploads/xie-2000.pdf
In some parts of the world, the natural levels of fluoride in the water are very high and can cause health problems. None of these areas are in the UK. There are, however, some areas in the UK where the natural level of fluoride too low for optimal health. In those areas, fluoride may be added to the water but only in minute quantities, enough to raise the fluoride levels to be equivalent to the naturally-occurring levels elsewhere in the country.

Trescoe1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you're probably better off with the water, that's just an opinion. Are any of the water purifiers any good, they seem to claim that they remove all sorts of things.
Our water is run off from a volcano. Water has a distinct "smell" even with our top of the range filter. The smell of tap water puts you off. Have been taking a drop of red wine with Sprite as a spritzer. I do hope it is not the wine causing the problem

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Probably? Is that why it failed to get FDA approval for several years on the trot, (a U.S. FDA task force team reviewed 11 aspartame studies submitted by the manufacturer, G.D. Searle. The team reported "serious deficiencies in Searle's operations and practices"). until Ronald Reagan became president and appointed a new director of the FDA (Arthur Hayes Jr) in April 1981? No conspiracy there then? LOL
I think I'll stick with the advice given to me by several of my old chums. They were research chemists at G.D.Searle in the late 70s and early 80s
And they managed to persuade food agencies across the world who did their own independent research? It's a big leap from 'didn't do the initial research properly' to ' and now it's been approved and therefore it's a conspiracy'.

I say 'probably' because that's how science works - you can't 100% prove it's safe - in fact for some people with specific diseases, you can't take it at all. You can theoretically prove it's dangerous, but it's a 'black swan' problem - It's easy to disprove the statement 'All swans are white' by finding 1 black swan, but you can't prove it's 100% correct unless somehow you could see all the swans in the world now and in the future.
So these research friends of yours, being scientists, will have specific research that points to the dangers of Aspartame, I guess, not just some scare-mongering article at Dr Mercola's site?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The real problem is that even when you weed out all the rubbish, there is just so much written about this, that or the other aspect of any subject you care to mention. To the point where I don't really have the time or the inclination to care that much. I have an opinion which I offered. As for my friends, some of whom I shared a house with all those years ago, many of whom I still see to this day, they are no longer in research having progressed over the last 30 plus years. One is now a professor at a British University, another is a vicar (takes all sorts) and I doubt whether they have thought very much about something they were familiar with 35 years ago.
Mercola? Anybody who says "The most dangerous substance on the earth . . . . ." I avoid like the plague, a bit like when somebody makes an equally extreme claim like "probably the safest substance added to food ever". Neither claim is any good to a thicko like me. I don't consume it intentionally, so I don't have to worry whether it's safe or not.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Our water is run off from a volcano. Water has a distinct "smell" even with our top of the range filter. The smell of tap water puts you off. Have been taking a drop of red wine with Sprite as a spritzer. I do hope it is not the wine causing the problem
Just looked at your message, after Skyping my MIL's cousin (he's 90) in Auckland and FB messaging a old friend in Hamilton. I seem to be having a NZ day so far. Looks like you're stuck with the bottled stuff. I have read that red wine in moderation is good for you. I know the French add water to wine, do you think the red wine would overpower your volcanic water?

BTW, don't take anything too seriously, just a bit of light humour.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This site that we post on every day can be considered a conspiracy site after all look how much science is telling us that carbs are vital to health, fat is bad sugar is good cholesterol causes heart disease oh do not forget how the the tobacco industry used the orthodox scientists to claim by the use of studies that the evidence that tobacco causes disease was not definitive. You may ingest as much fluoride as you like I will not.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
This site that we post on every day can be considered a conspiracy site after all look how much science is telling us that carbs are vital to health, fat is bad sugar is good cholesterol causes heart disease oh do not forget how the the tobacco industry used the orthodox scientists to claim by the use of studies that the evidence that tobacco causes disease was not definitive. You may ingest as much fluoride as you like I will not.
Sums it up rather well.

Bangkokian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most politicians and other liars
I drink coke zero as the labels says zero sugar, zero fat, zero carbs. Not a problem is it?

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I make an effort not to drink any soft drinks. I try to drink 2LT water a day, as I have prostate cancer.

I also try to limit the amount of processed food in my diet - not easy. Plus my diabetic nurse doesn't approve of a low carb diet.

Frank.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I make an effort not to drink any soft drinks. I try to drink 2LT water a day, as I have prostate cancer.

I also try to limit the amount of processed food in my diet - not easy. Plus my diabetic nurse doesn't approve of a low carb diet.

Frank.

well you really has something to cope with ... wish you all the best of luck

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to drink mainly no added sugar squash with sparkling mineral water (the water out of the tap is vile), but do drink Pepsi max and other sugar free fuzzy drinks quite a lot too. I've never had any issues with them

frankman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well you really has something to cope with ... wish you all the best of luck
Thank you very much for your kind words Freema. I try to retain a positive attitude, but some days I feel down.

LezLezLez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
what do you think and know of the use of diet coke and alike..?

and do you use them as a treat yourself ?
Hi Mahola,
I was feeling comfortable with drinking 2 or 3 cans of Diet Coke per day for several years but then noticed my teeth were losing enamel at the edges. My dentist then warned about acidic drinks and I found out that such drinks can have an acidic pH of around 2.6 (7.0 is neutral). I have stopped drinking diet coke now and hope my teeth will recover. I next found a non-sugar flavoured water drink in main supermarkets and emailed their nutrition department for pH information. They replied they don't measure it!
Overall - nothing is straightforward is it?

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
what do you think and know of the use of diet coke and alike..?

and do you use them as a treat yourself ?
I drink pepsi max cherry and for the moment is the one thing I am not going to be giving up

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This site that we post on every day can be considered a conspiracy site after all look how much science is telling us that carbs are vital to health, fat is bad sugar is good cholesterol causes heart disease
Being this an UK-Based site and whai I've read seems to me there's a problem with NHS advices for diabetics and nurses and GP not very well trained on the matter.

I bear a grudge too with Italian doctors because they haven't advised me that I was at risk of diabetes, with high fasting BG and triglycerides and low HDL, and what risk poses have diabetes. But when I've asked for dietary advices they told me to cut carbs for supper and that a good strategy to lose weight is to cut bread, potatoes, and starchy foods.

This is a long, techical document in Italan about guidelines of diabetes.

http://www.standarditaliani.it/skin/www.standarditaliani.it/pdf/STANDARD_2014_May28.pdf

interestingly enough there's an extract about dieting that I'll try to translate

Either a low-fat and calorie diet or a low carbohydrate diet,or a Mediterranean diet that is naturally rich in vegetable fibres have been shown to be effective in determining a decrease in short term weight gain, equivalent up to two years.

At 6 months diets low in carbohydrates seem advantageous than those poor in fat with regard to the levels of triglycerides and HDL; however it is important to stress that diets low in carbohydrates are observed higher values of LDL cholesterol.

They are also saying that it's useful to limit the artificial sweters intake.

Seems to me that the big problem is that NHS has old guideline on diabetes and that guidelines are used as boilerplate advices by the average health professional.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Being this an UK-Based site and whai I've read seems to me there's a problem with NHS advices for diabetics and nurses and GP not very well trained on the matter.

I bear a grudge too with Italian doctors because they haven't advised me that I was at risk of diabetes, with high fasting BG and triglycerides and low HDL, and what risk poses have diabetes. But when I've asked for dietary advices they told me to cut carbs for supper and that a good strategy to lose weight is to cut bread, potatoes, and starchy foods.

This is a long, techical document in Italan about guidelines of diabetes.

http://www.standarditaliani.it/skin/www.standarditaliani.it/pdf/STANDARD_2014_May28.pdf

interestingly enough there's an extract about dieting that I'll try to translate

They are also saying that it's useful to limit the artificial sweters intake.

Seems to me that the big problem is that NHS has old guideline on diabetes and that guidelines are used as boilerplate advices by the average health professional.

Very interesting, thank you...