Air bubble problems ~ Insight pump.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think mine sticks out that far - maybe the piston rod on yours isn't rewinding quite enough?

Will take a snap next time I'm changing, @Gaz-M . 31u to go - prob Fri morning.

Will post pic then!

:)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I don't think mine sticks out that far - maybe the piston rod on yours isn't rewinding quite enough?

Will take a snap next time I'm changing, @Gaz-M . 31u to go - prob Fri morning.

Will post pic then!

:)
thanks snapsy, when I changed the cartridge on Sunday it was sticking out a little more so I changed the battery and cap and rewound the piston again and the cartridge went down a little more. The lady on the help line is going to call me back tomorrow after 3 so will see what they say once they have looked at the pictures

Reactions: Snapsy and Type1Lad

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thanks snapsy, when I changed the cartridge on Sunday it was sticking out a little more so I changed the battery and cap and rewound the piston again and the cartridge went down a little more. The lady on the help line is going to call me back tomorrow after 3 so will see what they say once they have looked at the pictures
Keep us updated! is it still closing? :>

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That doesn't look right!!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Keep us updated! is it still closing? :>
yeah its till closes but if the cartridge is sticking to far out it would cause big air bubbles, even the help advisor and DSN said so

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Long time since I was on the Insight but the piston is automatically set to wind up so far... So surely it wouldn't be dosing correctly at all?

Is the piston looking and sounding as it all ways did?

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Long time since I was on the Insight but the piston is automatically set to wind up so far... So surely it wouldn't be dosing correctly at all?

Is the piston looking and sounding as it all ways did?
seems to be but the pump has always been noisy, I can hear it dose when on a multiwave insulin setting delivering the insulin

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can hear mine even when it delivers basal - just a little click - had assumed that was normal.

*wondering*

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I can hear mine even when it delivers basal - just a little click - had assumed that was normal.

*wondering*
it maybe its my first pump too so this could be normal

Reactions: Snapsy

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it's my first pump also and I hear it every time. When I am due to change cartridge I shall take a photo as well to see if our cartridges are similar :D

Last edited:

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you hear it at other times too, @Type1Lad ? I wear mine round my chest so it's quite close to my ears, admittedly!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Just had a call back from the advisor and she said that it is normal to stick out like that, but she said they will send a new pump out which will be delivered tomorrow morning.

Funily enough I primed the air bubbles out this morning and there has not been any more so far today

Reactions: Snapsy and Type1Lad

iHs

@Gaz-M

Looking at yr profile photo, do you still work in a very hot kitchen still? If you do, thenI dont think that will help the build up of bubbles and you might be better to keep the pump cooler
air bubbles

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Agree with heat having an impact....body heat and def hot places..

Do you not tap the pump on its bottom when priming the tube and tap the cannula to tube joiner as well? This is a must for any new cartridge really..

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
@Gaz-M

Looking at yr profile photo, do you still work in a very hot kitchen still? If you do, thenI dont think that will help the build up of bubbles and you might be better to keep the pump cooler
air bubbles

No I am not working at the moment

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Agree with heat having an impact....body heat and def hot places..

Do you not tap the pump on its bottom when priming the tube and tap the cannula to tube joiner as well? This is a must for any new cartridge really..
yeah I do all of that

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
yeah I do all of that

I thought you did... I know for me it would sometimes take almost a couple complete primes of tubes to accept the bubbles were primed out. Rarely with one prime and I had the 100 tubes too!!

Perhaps try priming and banging base of pump longer??

Perhaps Daniel on the Tech Line can offer more help?

Reactions: Gaz-M

iHs

I think that tapping the base of the pump can just make loads of small bubbles emerge whereas gently flicking the side of the cartridge with thumbnail works to make small bubbles join to make one large one and then by trying to get the bubble in the middle where the tube joins, enables the bubble to go up the tube. I always did this with the Combo and also do it with the Vibe.