Air bubble problems ~ Insight pump.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Still getting them not much, though, don't know what to do about them though.
I am at the Hospital on Tuesday and will mention it to the DSN see what she says and will post again here

Reactions: Type1Lad

Nomi

I had a similar thing a while ago. I spoke to the manufacturer about it and they said its to do with the order you set the pump up. You need to put the vial in the slot first and then put the adaptor on it. I was putting the vial on the adaptor and putting that in the slot. Don't know why it makes a difference but since I've switched to doing it their way it seems to work better.

I also notice that I get air bubbles if I use a vial directly from the fridge and don't let it warm up a bit. I usually just shove it in my pocket for 5 mins or so before using it.

Hope you get sorted!

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a similar thing a while ago. I spoke to the manufacturer about it and they said its to do with the order you set the pump up. You need to put the vial in the slot first and then put the adaptor on it. I was putting the vial on the adaptor and putting that in the slot. Don't know why it makes a difference but since I've switched to doing it their way it seems to work better.

I also notice that I get air bubbles if I use a vial directly from the fridge and don't let it warm up a bit. I usually just shove it in my pocket for 5 mins or so before using it.

Hope you get sorted!
I put mine in the cartridge chamber before I put the adaptor on. I have now left 5 cartridges at room temp as I know I would use 5 within the month I change it every 3 days :)

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Spoke to my DSN this morning and she thinks it could be down to heat, when I was getting the larger ones it was 27 degrees and hotter when in bed. I doubt the heat would cause it but who knows, there was a small one in while at the clinic (about 3 mm) but seeing I am on tiny bolus amounts (smallest 0.31 largest 0.45) this would still have a large effect on my BG levels. I always have a cartridge out ready for a change for 5-6 days prior to change and always put the cartridge in the chamber before connecting the adaptor so it can't be that.

iHs

If its possible, try getting the cartridge to body heat temperature to make any bubbles rise to the top and then attach the tube and try to push the bubbles up into the the tube before loading the cartridge into the pump and activating the load cartridge and prime function. Insulin will always warm up inside the pump because of the battery powering the motor and for those who position the pump close to the body without the insulin already being warmed up in advance, then bubbles will be a problem until they are tapped to the tap and primed out.

Reactions: Gaz-M

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Accuchek advise that the insulin should be body temperature to try and minimise bubbles but say they cannot be avoided with high temperatures.

The gentle tapping of the pump on its base when priming should help. For me the glass cartridges were a marked improvement on the plastic vials and insulin each week would be removed from fridge to get up to temeperature before using.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to get loads of bubbles with the Combo, I do not get any with the Insight and the temperature of insulin or environment seems to make no difference for me.

iHs

Another way to stop air bubbles entering the tube is to position the pump vertical or diagonal so that the tube joins at the bottom and not the top and then any bubbles will just rise to the other end of the cartridge. I always did this with the Spirit Combo and DD also did it with her Spirit when she had it on her arm. I just took the cartridge out of the pump when it got down to the last 5u so that any bubbles would remain in the cartridge and not pushed into the tube.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
will try those things and will report back, Ive just changed the cartridge before reading this :S

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, I always wore the combo and insight facing downward on my arm too. Forgot that iHs. That definitely helped.

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
will have to try all these I always have wore tubing facing down :/ I just was confused why i was getting so many sorry the blog post got deleted with photos do!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I have spoken to Accu-chek twice today within an hour, the lady I spoke to seemed to think it could be the infusion sets or cartridges that are at fault, but the cartridges are a new batch that I picked up on Wednesday (and it was happening prior to this).

So after I came off the phone I changed the cartridge and tubing to a shorter 40mm one and within 20 minutes more bubbles, anyway they want me to return the old sets and the old set I was using along with the cartridge and cannula that was in my so they can check them. She asked me to contact them again if it is still continuing when the new Flex sets arrive.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't (yet!) had anything like this but will continue to check in on this thread. Hope you see an improvement with the new cannulas, @Gaz-M .

:)

(Edited for wacky typing)

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Lad and Gaz-M

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I am not a pumper yet (soon maybe)
If the insulin is out of the fridge for a day or so it will adjust to room temp. But probably the insulin in the pump will be warmer due to it being next to your body heat and motor in pump

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not a pumper yet (soon maybe)
If the insulin is out of the fridge for a day or so it will adjust to room temp. But probably the insulin in the pump will be warmer due to it being next to your body heat and motor in pump
The whole point of the insight and the prefilled cartridges was so they could limit air bubbles thankfully mine have stopped and only seemed to happen in the summer when the heat was at peak :)

Reactions: Snapsy

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
new cannuls arrived and still the same problems and now becoming a nightmare :sour:

Will phone them again tomorrow (but I won't hold my breath)

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
new cannuls arrived and still the same problems and now becoming a nightmare :sour:

Will phone them again tomorrow (but I won't hold my breath)
Mine have stopped since leaving my cartridges out longer :eek:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Mine have stopped since leaving my cartridges out longer :eek:

Mine are out for 6 days so doubt it is that, I have noticed the cartridge doesn't seem to be going in as far as it was before, so after speaking with a girl from the helpline I have sent pictures off to Roches insulinpumps email and will be contacted again tomorrow afternoon.

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

After speaking with her I know that this could be what is causing the problems
IMG_0567.jpg

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is like that i think aswell :/ I'll have to double check lol