totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi guys,
Can any of you give me any advice as im extremely nervous .not about the procedure about the actual fasting and being unable to eat as i suffer bad hypos ,any advice welcome:)

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you discussed the procedure with your Doc? They would be the best I would think. Or the DN. Best of luck on the day @totsy :)

Reactions: totsy

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I have had this procedure and gave myself half my normal dose of background insulin and if needed used full strength lemonade to keep me going.
Suffice to say i did plenty of blood tests and took the day off work.
Do they still give out "fleet" to empty your bowels?
If so stay near your toilet!
The procedure itself is a breeze apart from a certain lack of dignity......lol

Hope this helps
Tony

Reactions: ellagy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Can only second the advice given from Tony - drop your background if you feel this is necessary by a third and keep lucozade or a sugary drink to hand and do regular tests every 2 hours. Hope it goes well and all is ok for you.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do they still give out "fleet" to empty your bowels?
If so stay near your toilet!

There is a thread somewhere out on the internet about a guys experience with this, it's well written, informative and............................................extremely funny! (Make sure you get the right date for the procedure and follow the instructions.)

Agree with what's been said about dropping Basal units - Best of luck

EDIT: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/hilarious-dave-barry-column-about-colonoscopies

Found it!

EDIT 2: actually that's not the one I was thinking of, but still!

Last edited:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Any more tips guys as its this Tuesday i starve and procedure weds:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I practised the week before, but it's a bit late for you.... My basals over the week went significantly lower so by the time I had investigations done I was actually on 1/2 the dose of my normal basal in morning and 1/2 my correction bolus given at 4am each day.

I only did all this preparation as I have a slow colon and knew it was the only way to empty it. It isn't normal practice.

However it did confirm to me 1/2 doses and let go higher rather than struggle with hypo....

At least you can have liquid hypo gel if needed. With a hydrogen test you can't have any hypo stoppers!!