1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by totsy, Oct 7, 2016.

1. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Can any of you give me any advice as im extremely nervous .not about the procedure about the actual fasting and being unable to eat as i suffer bad hypos ,any advice welcome:)

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you discussed the procedure with your Doc? They would be the best I would think. Or the DN. Best of luck on the day @totsy :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tony337

Tony337 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had this procedure and gave myself half my normal dose of background insulin and if needed used full strength lemonade to keep me going.
    Suffice to say i did plenty of blood tests and took the day off work.
    Do they still give out "fleet" to empty your bowels?
    If so stay near your toilet!
    The procedure itself is a breeze apart from a certain lack of dignity......lol

Hope this helps
    Tony

• Like Like x 1
  4. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Can only second the advice given from Tony - drop your background if you feel this is necessary by a third and keep lucozade or a sugary drink to hand and do regular tests every 2 hours. Hope it goes well and all is ok for you.

5. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is a thread somewhere out on the internet about a guys experience with this, it's well written, informative and............................................extremely funny! (Make sure you get the right date for the procedure and follow the instructions.)

Agree with what's been said about dropping Basal units - Best of luck

EDIT: http://www.empowher.com/community/share/hilarious-dave-barry-column-about-colonoscopies

Found it!

EDIT 2: actually that's not the one I was thinking of, but still!

#6 slip, Oct 7, 2016 at 4:03 PM
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  6. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Any more tips guys as its this Tuesday i starve and procedure weds:)

7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I practised the week before, but it's a bit late for you.... My basals over the week went significantly lower so by the time I had investigations done I was actually on 1/2 the dose of my normal basal in morning and 1/2 my correction bolus given at 4am each day.

I only did all this preparation as I have a slow colon and knew it was the only way to empty it. It isn't normal practice.

However it did confirm to me 1/2 doses and let go higher rather than struggle with hypo....

At least you can have liquid hypo gel if needed. With a hydrogen test you can't have any hypo stoppers!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook