Need advice about insulin.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone know the usual starting amount of insulin?
I don;t know if there is one as everyone's body doesn't react the exact same way and to further complicate things there are so many different types of insulin with reaction times etc. Based on my experience - (hopefully you're working closely with your health team) Doctors usually go with small amounts and will increase the dosage to a more effective amount based on Blood Glucose testing. I would hope that is what they are doing with you.
I'm not a doctor - don't even play one on TV - BUT have been living with Type 1 Diabetes for 50 years :)

Reactions: Freema

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It was the amount to start off with. Had to start this evening as sugar levels too high. It is lantus but I gave 30 were I think it should have been 10 to start with. Thanks

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My new insulin injection. I think I started off with too high a dosage as last night my bs was 21 .7 mmols and this morning its down to 9.3 mmols. As I'm new to this I have been afraid of a hypo as I gave 30 of the insulin were I think it should only be 10/15. Mags.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@duckyhenny Theres no official starting amount. It will vary for each person. If you're unsure how much insulin to have, phone your doctor to be sure.

duckyhenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am going to do that this morning. My nurse wasn't there last night so i was going by the leaflet. Thanks.

Reactions: azure

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My DN said to adjust the Basal (Lantus for you) to get a fasting reading between 5-7 mmol which makes sense.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Depends on insulin type, insulin resistance, diet, exercise and too many factors which are individual. They will start you on the lowest dose and titrate up/down as required. I've been on insulin for 2 years now and feel better.:)