1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need advice about insulin.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by duckyhenny, Oct 11, 2016.

1. duckyhenny

duckyhenny Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just started insulin tonight after being on metformin for15 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. duckyhenny

Does anyone know the usual starting amount of insulin?

• Like Like x 1
  3. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I don;t know if there is one as everyone's body doesn't react the exact same way and to further complicate things there are so many different types of insulin with reaction times etc. Based on my experience - (hopefully you're working closely with your health team) Doctors usually go with small amounts and will increase the dosage to a more effective amount based on Blood Glucose testing. I would hope that is what they are doing with you.
    I'm not a doctor - don't even play one on TV - BUT have been living with Type 1 Diabetes for 50 years :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. duckyhenny

It was the amount to start off with. Had to start this evening as sugar levels too high. It is lantus but I gave 30 were I think it should have been 10 to start with. Thanks

5. duckyhenny

6. duckyhenny

My new insulin injection. I think I started off with too high a dosage as last night my bs was 21 .7 mmols and this morning its down to 9.3 mmols. As I'm new to this I have been afraid of a hypo as I gave 30 of the insulin were I think it should only be 10/15. Mags.

7. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@duckyhenny Theres no official starting amount. It will vary for each person. If you're unsure how much insulin to have, phone your doctor to be sure.

8. duckyhenny

I am going to do that this morning. My nurse wasn't there last night so i was going by the leaflet. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. duckyhenny

I have found out it should have been 10units. Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

My DN said to adjust the Basal (Lantus for you) to get a fasting reading between 5-7 mmol which makes sense.

11. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Depends on insulin type, insulin resistance, diet, exercise and too many factors which are individual. They will start you on the lowest dose and titrate up/down as required. I've been on insulin for 2 years now and feel better.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook