Weighing on my mind.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I should keep my nose out of RH threads because it's not a subject I know all that much about. But, surely eating meals every few hours (no matter how small they are or how low carb) is inviting the exact insulin response that Dr Fung says should be avoided like the plague if we want to keep weight under control?

He has a post called "The Perils of Snacking":
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/perils-snacking-hormonal-obesity-xiii/

I'm not sure I understand why you need to eat so many small meals, @nosher8355 so forgive me if I'm butting in :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe I should keep my nose out of RH threads because it's not a subject I know all that much about. But, surely eating meals every few hours (no matter how small they are or how low carb) is inviting the exact insulin response that Dr Fung says should be avoided like the plague if we want to keep weight under control?

He has a post called "The Perils of Snacking":
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/perils-snacking-hormonal-obesity-xiii/

I'm not sure I understand why you need to eat so many small meals, @nosher8355 so forgive me if I'm butting in :(

Everything I've read about how to control blood glucose levels with RH is like a lot of advice with metabolic conditions. It is based on how much carbs the so called experts believe we need for us to live a so called healthy lifestyle and for the amount of glucose necessary for brain function.
And if you follow the advice that certain carbs like they label complex carbs have to be in your diet, then the only way to stop you from going hypo is to eat at a point when you feel the drop in your blood glucose range is going low.
So, the three hour advice is relevant, because it is around that time or later when you go from hyper to normal to hypo. So the added glucose from the meal stops the hypo!

But as in the post above, that if I don't have enough carbs to go hyper, or fast, then the three hours is moot. Because you won't go hypo!

This will be something that I will discuss with my endocrinologist next month in depth.

And it always a privilege to be asked a question by someone who has given some great advice in the past

Intermittent fasting is opening my eyes to how my lifestyle is changing!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I've found intermittent fasting useful in the past myself. Even missing breakfast for 1 or 2 days (not concurrent days) a week can make a difference.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Everything I've read about how to control blood glucose levels with RH is like a lot of advice with metabolic conditions. It is based on how much carbs the so called experts believe we need for us to live a so called healthy lifestyle and for the amount of glucose necessary for brain function.
And if you follow the advice that certain carbs like they label complex carbs have to be in your diet, then the only way to stop you from going hypo is to eat at a point when you feel the drop in your blood glucose range is going low.
So, the three hour advice is relevant, because it is around that time or later when you go from hyper to normal to hypo. So the added glucose from the meal stops the hypo!

But as in the post above, that if I don't have enough carbs to go hyper, or fast, then the three hours is moot. Because you won't go hypo!

This will be something that I will discuss with my endocrinologist next month in depth.
Intermittent fasting is opening my eyes to how my lifestyle is changing!
I've found intermittent fasting useful in the past myself. Even missing breakfast for 1 or 2 days (not concurrent days) a week can make a difference.

Because of my busy life, I have found that missing a meal between breakfast and supper more beneficial. The more I do this the more I learn about myself and the benefits of fasting. I really think that my body is built not to be eating all the time.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi nosher I am seeing the consultant on Thursday and wondered if you had any suggestions re the weight loss. I know I have stopped eating keto and have been eating too many carbs but not enough to spike my blood! However I am exercising every day and can't shed a pound. I'm afraid the consultant will
Think I am not being straight with him!! I don't want to be put on any drugs.....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think you may be a little anxious about what he will say.
I actually put a little weight on, the doctor wants me down to something around 10 stone, he ain't going to get it any time soon.
I have plateaued myself, cos I'm only losing about half a pound every month.
I'm eat in nothing really and fasting all the time.
I'm working more than full time and the exercise I get is quite tough.
But what I lose in fat I gain in muscle!
I think like me, you will just have to be patient and keep going, till you start losing again.
We ain't got much choice have we?
Hope your appointment goes well.
My appointment is about a month away
Best wishes.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher,
Doesn't the guy go on BMI? 10 stone seems very low. I am 84kgs but I am also 1.95.
It would be nice to know what our percentage body fat actually was, so we would know what we were aiming at.
When I take my shirt off I look now as if I'd been a POW! :)
atb
Derek

I think you may be a little anxious about what he will say.
I actually put a little weight on, the doctor wants me down to something around 10 stone, he ain't going to get it any time soon.
I have plateaued myself, cos I'm only losing about half a pound every month.
I'm eat in nothing really and fasting all the time.
I'm working more than full time and the exercise I get is quite tough.
But what I lose in fat I gain in muscle!
I think like me, you will just have to be patient and keep going, till you start losing again.
We ain't got much choice have we?
Hope your appointment goes well.
My appointment is about a month away
Best wishes.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi nosher I am seeing the consultant on Thursday and wondered if you had any suggestions re the weight loss. I know I have stopped eating keto and have been eating too many carbs but not enough to spike my blood! However I am exercising every day and can't shed a pound. I'm afraid the consultant will
Think I am not being straight with him!! I don't want to be put on any drugs.....

Hi Lina,
Congratulations on your marriage I hope you all will be really happy.

Don't get too worried, your consultant will realise that things will get on a more even keel from now on.
Perhaps if you have come off the ketosis model you may have to count calories?
best wishes
Derek

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Nosher,
Doesn't the guy go on BMI? 10 stone seems very low. I am 84kgs but I am also 1.95.
It would be nice to know what our percentage body fat actually was, so we would know what we were aiming at.
When I take my shirt off I look now as if I'd been a POW! :)
atb
Derek

Hi Derek, I think he gave that figure as a target weight.
I know that parts of me now are just skin and bone, it's around my waist that is so stubborn to go. But I think my muscle tone has sharpened, thus adding weight in muscle rather than visceral fat.
He has warned me to get as low as possible near that figure because of the visceral fat that would form if I relent from being in ketosis.
He believes visceral fat contributed to my ill health and my hyperinsulinaemia and of course the insulin resistance that had my bloods far too high. The viscous circle!
Since plateaueing(is that a word?) My weight is incredibly stubborn to come off and I'm hardly eating a lot and my exercise is something I wouldn't want to increase, I do enough in work.
Because eating is always in the forefront of my brain, I'm constantly thinking to myself, how I can adjust my diet to lose weight, thereby may be something that is not helping but I haven't got a clue what it is.
I'm in strict ketosis and haven't been hyper since my apple incident that made me aware that I'd gone over 6mmols. And no hypos since my last OGTT.
I keep second guessing myself. But as I'm only eating meat, salad vegetables, and nothing carbs or sugars, I believe that there may be something that I'm not doing or something that is causing it! I'm gonna try decaf tea, I'm already eating less fruit and that wasn't much. I'm fasting, could you recommend anything?
Have you changed anything lately?

Don't get me wrong, I'm fit as a butcher's dog.
I've got great energy levels and I'm generally happy, I'm just trying to get my weight down a little more.

Best wishes, mate.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Lina,
Congratulations on your marriage I hope you all will be really happy.

Don't get too worried, your consultant will realise that things will get on a more even keel from now on.
Perhaps if you have come off the ketosis model you may have to count calories?
best wishes
Derek

Thanks Derek, so kind of you to offer your best wishes.

I want to get back to keto diet. It was so easy when I was afraid for my life and very hard symptoms really help focus the mind. The problem is I am almost a victim of my success and I start pushing the boundaries! I also can't keep paying for testing strips so I am going to see if I can beg consultant for a prescription! Fingers crossed xxx

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, by all means ask, but when he wanted to introduce sitagliptin, he went through my GP. If you could get him to write a letter to your GP, I'm sure, he will do it!
Also, see if he can get your GP to get you on the diabetic register, then your prescription will be free.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wanting to jump in here and say I can still read your blogs nosher, but been off doing stuff so have not looked in as much as I normally do :)

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Nosher, The only change I have made is cutting down on berries and increasing the input of avocado that I assume has very little fructose but plenty of good fats. I consume more olive oil than I used to do as well. We do cook with rapeseed oil but use the cold pressed from Lidl that tastes really good andvnot like usual rubbish heat treated cheapo stuff. If I snack it is usually almond or walnuts. I do feel as though I could miss meals but it hard being on other meds. atb
Derek

Hi Derek, I think he gave that figure as a target weight.
I know that parts of me now are just skin and bone, it's around my waist that is so stubborn to go. But I think my muscle tone has sharpened, thus adding weight in muscle rather than visceral fat.
He has warned me to get as low as possible near that figure because of the visceral fat that would form if I relent from being in ketosis.
He believes visceral fat contributed to my ill health and my hyperinsulinaemia and of course the insulin resistance that had my bloods far too high. The viscous circle!
Since plateaueing(is that a word?) My weight is incredibly stubborn to come off and I'm hardly eating a lot and my exercise is something I wouldn't want to increase, I do enough in work.
Because eating is always in the forefront of my brain, I'm constantly thinking to myself, how I can adjust my diet to lose weight, thereby may be something that is not helping but I haven't got a clue what it is.
I'm in strict ketosis and haven't been hyper since my apple incident that made me aware that I'd gone over 6mmols. And no hypos since my last OGTT.
I keep second guessing myself. But as I'm only eating meat, salad vegetables, and nothing carbs or sugars, I believe that there may be something that I'm not doing or something that is causing it! I'm gonna try decaf tea, I'm already eating less fruit and that wasn't much. I'm fasting, could you recommend anything?
Have you changed anything lately?

Don't get me wrong, I'm fit as a butcher's dog.
I've got great energy levels and I'm generally happy, I'm just trying to get my weight down a little more.

Best wishes, mate.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just wanting to jump in here and say I can still read your blogs nosher, but been off doing stuff so have not looked in as much as I normally do :)

Too busy to keep my blog going mate, but will make every effort when and if I get a day off!
Feeling the cold yet?
It's been rather nippy but dry. Some good skies at night time.
Hope to find you well.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Yes, by all means ask, but when he wanted to introduce sitagliptin, he went through my GP. If you could get him to write a letter to your GP, I'm sure, he will do it!
Also, see if he can get your GP to get you on the diabetic register, then your prescription will be free.

Thanks Nosher I will do will let you know x

Reactions: Lamont D

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi Nosher, The only change I have made is cutting down on berries and increasing the input of avocado that I assume has very little fructose but plenty of good fats. I consume more olive oil than I used to do as well. We do cook with rapeseed oil but use the cold pressed from Lidl that tastes really good andvnot like usual rubbish heat treated cheapo stuff. If I snack it is usually almond or walnuts. I do feel as though I could miss meals but it hard being on other meds. atb
Derek

Avocado is full of folate which is great for protecting cardiovascularly as it lowers homocysteine which is often elevated in people with cardiovascular disease. I eat one every day and hAve cream in coffee and avocado and olive and coconut oil and my cholesterol was 4.0.

I think we have to believe fat is not the enemy but it's so hard to re learn years of propaganda x

Reactions: lindisfel