Infusion set and tubing

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How do you guys cope with long tubing how you guys coil it? Does the tubing or sensor comeout when we bend or stretch when its on the abdomen?

Reactions: Snapsy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Maryam_Alam What infusion set are you using and how long is the tubing ?

I am on a medtronic set, which comes in different lengths so you can order the length to suit you, my current one is 30cms which is easy to hide in my insulin pouch, to start with I think it was 50cms which was a pain to hide and I was forever having the tubing reveal itself below my top. I have never had an issue with it coming out, although have caught it on a few door handles !! It's pretty robust ;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In my pump starter kit when I first started on it this time last year @Maryam_Alam I had 40cm tubing and 70cm tubing. The 40cm seemed at first to be the perfect length - until I realised that I'm too tall to put my pump down on the table or my chest of drawers while standing up!

So I started using the 70cm tubing instead - this is perfect because I can put the pump down with ease. For normal wear (which for me is In a Hid-in bodyband round my chest during the day, or in a loose SPI-belt either around my waist or slung round my neck at night) yes the tubing is a little long, BUT I simply wind it around the pump itself and either pop the pump and wound-round tubing into a little sock and into the SPI-belt (night) or straight into the pouch in the Hid-in. If I leave enough of the tubing 'loose' I have no problem at all with stretching and moving - sometimes if I've not left myself enough loose then I'll very quickly notice that it's not long enough as I can feel the pull on the cannula plaster - but I've never ever pulled a cannula out in this way, and if I notice it being too tight I just unwrap one of the winds from round the pump, if that makes sense!

I run regularly (not at the moment as I'm not well) and I haven't had any kind of tubing problem so far. Try all the lengths you're offered and you'll soon pick the one that works best for you. Cannulas and tubes are as far as I'm concerned very, very much more robust than I had at first feared!

:)

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Maryam_Alam What infusion set are you using and how long is the tubing ?

I am on a medtronic set, which comes in different lengths so you can order the length to suit you, my current one is 30cms which is easy to hide in my insulin pouch, to start with I think it was 50cms which was a pain to hide and I was forever having the tubing reveal itself below my top. I have never had an issue with it coming out, although have caught it on a few door handles !! It's pretty robust ;)
@Juicyj I am using the one that came with my medtronic pump its 9mm cannula and the tubing is maybe 46in I needed the longer one so I could put it on the side while sleeping and when I am falling asleep I move alot I thought it would work fine. My trainer said to minimise my physical activities a bit for 2 days so my body keeps hang of the pump.

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
In my pump starter kit when I first started on it this time last year @Maryam_Alam I had 40cm tubing and 70cm tubing. The 40cm seemed at first to be the perfect length - until I realised that I'm too tall to put my pump down on the table or my chest of drawers while standing up!

So I started using the 70cm tubing instead - this is perfect because I can put the pump down with ease. For normal wear (which for me is In a Hid-in bodyband round my chest during the day, or in a loose SPI-belt either around my waist or slung round my neck at night) yes the tubing is a little long, BUT I simply wind it around the pump itself and either pop the pump and wound-round tubing into a little sock and into the SPI-belt (night) or straight into the pouch in the Hid-in. If I leave enough of the tubing 'loose' I have no problem at all with stretching and moving - sometimes if I've not left myself enough loose then I'll very quickly notice that it's not long enough as I can feel the pull on the cannula plaster - but I've never ever pulled a cannula out in this way, and if I notice it being too tight I just unwrap one of the winds from round the pump, if that makes sense!

I run regularly (not at the moment as I'm not well) and I haven't had any kind of tubing problem so far. Try all the lengths you're offered and you'll soon pick the one that works best for you. Cannulas and tubes are as far as I'm concerned very, very much more robust than I had at first feared!

:)
@Snapsy my trainer said to minimise physical activities for 2 days because I am new to this thing my body will get hang of it then and my mum wont let me bend now because she says trainer is right because she has alot patients so she knows. As opposed to my perception about the pump I felt really conserved after this but thanks for clearing I got relieved.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Why don't you get a pump pouch off Ebay - mine is made of a lycra material so stretches and it sits around my waist, I also sleep with this on so my pump sits around my tum all night, it's very comfortable and also useful for tucking excess tubing away and great for exercise too.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How do you guys cope with long tubing how you guys coil it? Does the tubing or sensor comeout when we bend or stretch when its on the abdomen?

I find my tubing sits in coils anyway from being wound up in the sterile set packet, so I just tuck any spare into my waistband of my skirt or trousers as I usually wear my pump clipped at my waist. At night I wear it in a pump belt or clip it to my pyjama bottoms and tuck the spare in as above.

I don't find the tubing a problem :)

purleypete

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just try a few different tubing lengths to find what works for you and where the you wear the pump and cannula. Don't worry about bending and physical activity dislodging infusion sets; they are pretty sticky and robust. Just be careful how much tubing is left outside clothing as it seems to be a magnet for doorknobs etc

CathyCampbell

I have a MEDTRONIC pump too. Haven't had any bother with the tubing but the cannulas are constantly bending! Have heard a few people complain of this too- anyone else have the same bother? Technique is fine for inserting- even went back to the book!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I have a MEDTRONIC pump too. Haven't had any bother with the tubing but the cannulas are constantly bending! Have heard a few people complain of this too- anyone else have the same bother? Technique is fine for inserting- even went back to the book!
Maybe its not your insertion technique! Maybe you have accidentally bumped into something thus damaging the canular. When i remove my old canular i have a look to see if its straight that way if i know i have knocked it i can more than likely put it down to that.

Regards

Martin

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I use the 60cm/23 inch infusion set. I hang my pump around my neck, slip it in a shirt pocket or clip it to the opening of a polo shirt. When sleeping i use a spibelt leaving just a small amount of tubing free but if your spibelt is secure enough it shouldn't move.

I think the only danger of your canular being pulled out is if your tubing is left loose and exposed therfore able to catch on a door handle.

I have only had 1 pull out completely but it was whilst on saline back in july. I was trying the shortest infusion set and fell asleep in the chair, my pump wasn't clipped properly to my waste band and when i stood up it fell to the floor pulling it away.

A word of warning though if your skin is sensitive as in ticklish! Wearing a pump in a Spibelt makes me jump when it vibrates, which is good i suppose as most of the time cannot hear the audible alarm.

Regards

Martin

Last edited:

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use the 60cm/23 inch infusion set. I hang my pump around my neck, slip it in a shirt pocket or clip it to the opening of a polo shirt. When sleeping i use a spibelt leaving just a small amount of tubing free but if you spibelt is secure enough it shouldn't move.

I think the only danger of your canular being pulled out is if your tubing is left loose and exposed therfore able to catch on a door handle.

I have only had 1 pull out completely but it was whilst on saline back in july. I was trying the shortest infusion set and fell asleep in the chair, my pump wasn't clipped properly to my waste band and when i stood up it fell to the floor pulling it away.

A word of warning though if your skin is sensitive as in ticklish! Wearing a pump in a Spibelt makes me jump when it vibrates, which is good i suppose as most of the time cannot hear the audible alarm.

Regards

Martin
Thanks I have experienced now the taping is impressively adhesive but maybe i am not much active these day. The problem I have with the sensor's taping is it itches alot as my skin is quite sensitive.

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just try a few different tubing lengths to find what works for you and where the you wear the pump and cannula. Don't worry about bending and physical activity dislodging infusion sets; they are pretty sticky and robust. Just be careful how much tubing is left outside clothing as it seems to be a magnet for doorknobs etc

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find my tubing sits in coils anyway from being wound up in the sterile set packet, so I just tuck any spare into my waistband of my skirt or trousers as I usually wear my pump clipped at my waist. At night I wear it in a pump belt or clip it to my pyjama bottoms and tuck the spare in as above.

I don't find the tubing a problem :)
Thanks... but when I tuck mine in the waistband it slips down I don't know how to put it right

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why don't you get a pump pouch off Ebay - mine is made of a lycra material so stretches and it sits around my waist, I also sleep with this on so my pump sits around my tum all night, it's very comfortable and also useful for tucking excess tubing away and great for exercise too.
Thanks... I will surely get one seems great

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a newbie with the pump and got the quick set with serter I want to try other ones later I like the mio one its soft cannula if I get one. Which one you use btw?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks... but when I tuck mine in the waistband it slips down I don't know how to put it right

Maybe I described it badly. I just take the loop(s) of tubing and tuck them onto my trousers or skirt like tucking in a t shirt.

My pump,is on my belt (using the pump clip) and I have the tubing coming up from the top of the pump.

Even if a bit of tubing shows, it's usually covered by my top :)

Do you mean the actual pump slips down? I use my pump clip to clip it to my belt or waistband and so it can't slip down. Neither can the tubing as the loop comes out from the pump which is on my waistband so doesn't move, and neither does the tubing.

Maryam_Alam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe I described it badly. I just take the loop(s) of tubing and tuck them onto my trousers or skirt like tucking in a t shirt.

My pump,is on my belt (using the pump clip) and I have the tubing coming up from the top of the pump.

Even if a bit of tubing shows, it's usually covered by my top :)

Do you mean the actual pump slips down? I use my pump clip to clip it to my belt or waistband and so it can't slip down. Neither can the tubing as the loop comes out from the pump which is on my waistband so doesn't move, and neither does the tubing.
Not the pump trousers waistband i guess that its loose that might be the reason thanks loads for explaining