Low carb flax bread.

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
This is amazing, just what I have been looking for, as my Lidl has been running out of hp rolls. @RobPL, what is the weight of the 2 cups flax seeds? I mill my own, so would like to have an indication in advance.
I just noticed your comment 'I mill my own' when reading through this thread..what equipment do you use for milling your own?

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just noticed your comment 'I mill my own' when reading through this thread..what equipment do you use for milling your own?

Hi, I just use a high-powered food processor, or, much better and faster, a smaller attachment, one you can use for pesto, etc. I save quite a lot of money ;)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:):)
I just made this. It's not bad and less than 10 carbs for the whole loaf.
It's not very high so I'm going to try it next with a smaller but taller tin.
Would anyone like the recipe?
25aa17d9912fd03b4c7f0027fb419037.jpg
yes please:) sorry, just seen it:wacky:

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
Hi ,looks lovely so yes please ,was looking for a banana and walnut recipe as I've bought some almond flour to try .Thanks
I would enjoy receiving the recipe please. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Recipe.
Most of the carbs were from the flax. Mine was 4g per 100g. If you use lower you can get this at 5-6g for the whole loaf.
I merged about 3 different recipes that I found.

2 cups flax.
1 tbsp baking powder.
1 tsp salt.
1 tbsp truvia sweetener.
1 tbsp Italian herbs (can use more or leave it out).
5-6 eggs (I used 6 medium).
1/2 cup water.

Mix all dry ingredients together.
Blend up the eggs.
Add the water and eggs to dry mix and stir well together.
Leave for 3 mins at least to thicken.
Pour into your greased / lined etc tin. I used a rectangular silicone mould and didn't use any grease.
Bake at 180 for 30 mins.
@RobPL Hi there, just had a look here & copied your recipe which I'm going to try. Just wanted to say thank for it.
Regards Steve (Aka Squeekyboy).

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV: don't watch TV, find most programs boring.Don't have a telly now but do watch videos now & then on a monitor.
Look for ground or milled flax seed which will have a fine-ish texture. Be careful about storage as apparently it can go rancid and get a fishy pong - I've not had this happen yet but others have.

Sesame flour also gives a nice fine texture - I make muffins savoury from this which cut in half are great toasted - I do cheese on toast this way. You can also use these for bacon butties with the bacon fat as "dip".

Robbity
@Robbity Hi there, I just read this & wondered if you could give me your recipe using Sesame flour for savory muffins, as I'm just starting to try making breads myself for first time ever & looking for different recipes as I go along? Will of course let you know how I go on with them. Kind regards Steve (aka Squeekyboy) :hungry: :)

Squeekyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hehe. I just hope you enjoy it. I went looking for a smaller tin yesterday to try and force it to be higher but couldn't find one.
@RobPL Hi there, I'll be trying to make your fantastic looking loaf today but will be trying a product known as ''NO EGG'', to see if it can replace eggs in bread mixes. If it works, I'll let everyone know, as I, like a small number of other people, am allergic to eggs. Thanks again! Squeekyboy:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robbity Hi there, I just read this & wondered if you could give me your recipe using Sesame flour for savory muffins, as I'm just starting to try making breads myself for first time ever & looking for different recipes as I go along? Will of course let you know how I go on with them. Kind regards Steve (aka Squeekyboy) :hungry: :)

Have a look in our low carb recipes thread - I did a long post about making all sorts of muffins, but basically:

200g sesame flour or various combinations (e.g. sesame & milled flaxseed)
approx 75 g softened butter
3 eggs beaten
1-1.5 teasp baking powder
seasoning to taste
and whatever savoury goodies you care to add

mix well and bung in to 6-7 largish silicone muffin cases and microwave for approx 3 mins - test with cocktail stick and they're OK when it comes out clean...

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow can we have bread???
Not necessarily the sort of non-diabetic high carbohydrate bread you're probably thinking of - but there are all sorts of low carb non-starchy "flour" variations that we can use to bake alternatives instead.

Robbity

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I like the look of that loaf. I've not missed bread that much since going low-carb but now I'm sorely tempted. Thank you for the recipe.