One Year In... thank you all

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This morning is the one year anniversary of me being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
I think I found this forum a few days before (joined 22 Oct 2015) being pretty sure that my HbAc would be bad.. and it was 70 or 8.6 although the previous one 2 weeks before was 87 or 10.1 so had improved a bit, not sure how. I decided from that day to try the LCHF way of eating. I also decided to skip breakfast as it was a meal I could miss out easily thus inadvertently starting a 16:8 fasting regime which I have kept up (and sometimes extend) to this day and I think will be my future.
Weight was about 23 stone I think (my scales couldn't weigh me) the heaviest I had ever been. I was wearing size 44 inch waist jeans.
One year on I weigh 16 stone 10 pounds ( at 10 am this morning) waist about 38 inches. Still have some way to go but a lot better than it was.
I think the combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting is what has helped this in journey. I used to believe it was just the diet but reading around I think the combination of the diet and IF work very well together. I rarely feel "hungry", yes there are pangs and when hubby has a chinese takeaway and I'm not eating there are urges..but these are controllable (a mouthful of double cream often helps!).
I have had a huge amount of support and have learnt an enormous amount about how my body works from you lot. So I would really like to say thank you to everyone here (even the ones I disagree with) and hope some of my more stroppy responses are taken in the right way.. I'm only trying to help and share.
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. I needed to mess up my body before I realised I could take control.
If you are newly diagnosed don't despair..there is hope. After all you are here which means you are better informed than most.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark

Last edited:

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
This morning is the one year anniversary of me being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
I think I found this forum a few days before (joined 22 Oct 2015) being pretty sure that my HbAc would be bad.. and it was 70 or 8.6 although the previous one 2 weeks before was 87 or 10.1 so had improved a bit, not sure how. I decided from that day to try the LCHF way of eating. I also decided to skip breakfast as it was a meal I could miss out easily thus inadvertently starting a 16:8 fasting regime which I have kept up (and sometimes extend) to this day and I think will be my future.
Weight was about 23 stone I think (my scales couldn't weigh me) the heaviest I had ever been. I was wearing size 44 inch waist jeans.
One year on I weigh 16 stone 10 pounds ( at 10 am this morning) waist about 38 inches. Still have some way to go but a lot better than it was.
I think the combination of LCHF and intermittent fasting is what has helped this in journey. I used to believe it was just the diet but reading around I think the combination of the diet and IF work very well together. I rarely feel "hungry", yes there are pangs and when hubby has a chinese takeaway and I'm not eating there are urges..but these are controllable (a mouthful of double cream often helps!).
I have had a huge amount of support and have learnt an enormous amount about how my body works from you lot. So I would really like to say thank you to everyone here (even the ones I disagree with) and hope some of my more stroppy responses are taken in the right way.. I'm only trying to help and share.
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. You need to screw up your body before you can take control.
If you are newly diagnosed don't despair..there is hope. After all you are here which means you are better informed than most.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark
Well done that man! Long may you continue to lose weight and have a good BS!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on the turnaround @bulkbiker . You're another one who has lost a whole me. (I bet you wish you really could lose me sometimes! ;) )

Your approach and mine to our personal conditions have differed, but we have achieved similar results, which just goes to show that there can be a number of ways to skin this diabetes cat - if one's body is able to repair itself. :)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations!! Having read some of your posts I have no doubt you will make it through your fast. I look forwards to my anniversary, 11 months, and hope I can be half as successful as you. Work to do.

Well done

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyway as a "celebration" of my anniversary I'm starting a 7 day fast today (updates on my blog). It seems an odd thing to say but I feel that being diagnosed has really led to me improving my health and life no end, so maybe it was for the best. You need to screw up your body before you can take control.
All the best to all
Regards
Mark

Conratulations on a very successful year and good luck with your 7 day fast. I always find your posts very inspiring :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow, that is some impressive weight loss. And a truly wonderful attitude. I for one love the fact that you give back to the forum at least as much as it has given you.

- and the best bit is that you know HOW you have achieved these results, which means you will always know what to do in future, and how to control things.

Brilliant.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done Mark on your great reductions in both HbA1c and weight! :)
You have been an inspiration to me, and many others I'm sure (even if you are a 'bit stroppy in your responses' sometimes!).
Keep up the good work and your encouragement to the rest of us.

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you Mark, for sharing your achievements. The world is your oyster.
Wish I'd had your encouragement in 2002. Well its never to late to change your diet, at any stage of the diabetes journey. Keep inspiring!
A true diabetic crusader. :) :) :)

Reactions: bulkbiker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your very kind words.. very much appreciated.
Being in the company of such great people is what makes this journey so much easier.
Big hugs to all.
M x

Reactions: Prem51

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well done! 40kg in a year is truly awesome.

Personally, i am down 17kg in a few months with LCHF, IF and plenty of exercise. However, i am finding that as my weight drops the rate of loss slows down. Your 40kg loss indicates serious commitment and persistence.

I am sure you now feel much healthier and probably happier than a year ago.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Thank you, Bulkbiker, for being here. You are an inspiration. That weight loss is truly impressive. Good luck with your seven day fast.