Why Do Diabetics Fail To Adhere To Dietary Regimes?

Why do the majority of diabetic patients fail to follow their dietary regimens? Primary reason.

• Socioeconomic; lack of funds to purchase healthy choices

• Lack of education or knowledge about diabetes

• Fresh vegetables and healthy food is not available.

• Depression or mental health issues

• Does not understand about the progression of diabetes if not managed.

• Not willing to change or not ready to make a change.

• Advanced age; in denial that dietary changes can make a difference.

• Youth: The idea that they are invincible to these problems & unwilling to give up fast foods.

• The prescribed diet was not effective.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting as I'm a yank and it sounds like diabetics in the UK are in the dark as much as the US diabetics. Type 2 diabetes is caused by too high of insulin levels, which the cells know too much insulin is toxic. The cells shut down the door that lets insulin into the cells. This is called insulin resistance. Were all insulin resistant (T2) that's how we got diabetes. Diabetes is just when your blood sugar reaches a predetermined number, you are officially diabetic. Stress, drugs (like cholesterol drugs), and high glycemic carbohydrates raises blood sugar, so your body tries to produce more insulin to get your blood sugar into the cells. Most all diabetes drugs lower blood sugar by raising insulin. Catch 22, higher insulin creates worse insulin resistance, so you need more drugs, more powerful drugs. High blood sugar and high insulin are the cause of most all chronic disease - obesity, T 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, cancer, inflammatory diseases, dementia, and especially Altzheimer's.
Over 50% of T 2s will get early dementia and 70% will die of heart attack. The best treatment is not drugs, it's diet and exercise to reduce insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is what's causing all this. Exercise, makes your body more sensitive to insulin and burns some glucose. Carbs from different foods raise blood sugar differently. You need to learn the bad carbs to avoid. That's what glycemic load is all about. Get a smartphone app on glycemic load of foods, or get a little book on glycemic load. Learn what to eat and what not too.
Worst foods:
All grains, dried fruit, puffed rice especially, all starchy veggies like potatoes, all sugars. Fresh fruit are ok in reasonable serving size. No fresh fruits are high glycemic load.
Things that lower blood sugar: alcohol, vinegar, cinnamon, and citric acid. I stopped all grains and lost 24 lbs in 28 days. Grains have the highest correlation with all chronic diseases mentioned above. Yes, I am a real nutritionist treating most all chronic diseases.

Totally agree.

Even low carbing was giving me brainfog and memory issues (in my mid 40s). Now I very low carb my memory and brain are sharper than for the last couple of decades - and that isn't early dementia, that is just sluggish brain function and hyperinsulinaemia.

I have really come to see very low carb as a quality-of-life saver, and (potentially) a life saver.

Last edited:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is interesting as I'm a yank and it sounds like diabetics in the UK are in the dark as much as the US diabetics. Type 2 diabetes is caused by too high of insulin levels, which the cells know too much insulin is toxic. The cells shut down the door that lets insulin into the cells. This is called insulin resistance. Were all insulin resistant (T2) that's how we got diabetes. Diabetes is just when your blood sugar reaches a predetermined number, you are officially diabetic. Stress, drugs (like cholesterol drugs), and high glycemic carbohydrates raises blood sugar, so your body tries to produce more insulin to get your blood sugar into the cells. Most all diabetes drugs lower blood sugar by raising insulin. Catch 22, higher insulin creates worse insulin resistance, so you need more drugs, more powerful drugs. High blood sugar and high insulin are the cause of most all chronic disease - obesity, T 2 diabetes, heart attack, stroke, cancer, inflammatory diseases, dementia, and especially Altzheimer's.
Over 50% of T 2s will get early dementia and 70% will die of heart attack. The best treatment is not drugs, it's diet and exercise to reduce insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is what's causing all this. Exercise, makes your body more sensitive to insulin and burns some glucose. Carbs from different foods raise blood sugar differently. You need to learn the bad carbs to avoid. That's what glycemic load is all about. Get a smartphone app on glycemic load of foods, or get a little book on glycemic load. Learn what to eat and what not too.
Worst foods:
All grains, dried fruit, puffed rice especially, all starchy veggies like potatoes, all sugars. Fresh fruit are ok in reasonable serving size. No fresh fruits are high glycemic load.
Things that lower blood sugar: alcohol, vinegar, cinnamon, and citric acid. I stopped all grains and lost 24 lbs in 28 days. Grains have the highest correlation with all chronic diseases mentioned above. Yes, I am a real nutritionist treating most all chronic diseases.

I totally agree with coming at diabetes especially T2 at the insulin angle rather than the high glucose readings, it is the catch 22 of the excess insulin which contributes to the insulin resistance and the obesity in most T2s. But the expense of testing for hyperinsulinaemia is out of the reach of most surgeries.
Most drugs that are diabetic designed, stimulate more production of insulin. But it is how this extra insulin counteracts with the way the liver responds by either producing more glycogen or glucagon. If the meds aren't in the correct dosage, as every T1 will tell you that leads to hypos.
It is the first step on how we understand how differently our own bodies work that helps with treatment wether diet or meds.
What I would debate with you is that some T2s cannot tolerate, in other words produce too much insulin to an already overflowing with blood glucose and insulin levels that are too high. In some, low GI is still too much!

This is why, the Newcastle diet works, because the level of carbs is drastically reduced to a very low amount. The cycle is broken, the insulin and glucose levels drop and the patient loses weight and insulin resistance is lowering.

Very low carbing works because it reduces insulin production, the insulin still produced deals with the low amount of glucose, insulin resistance is better because we tend to lose weight and our fat threshold is below that which stores the extra.
Muscle fat is burned rather than energy from carbs and sugars.
Our bodies slowly correct the excess insulin and glucose, brings our levels back towards normal.

A new cycle is born, where everything we eat is helping with your impaired endocrine system deal with the hormones that have compromised your health.

Logical!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I will add that personally I was measured at twice the highest normal level of insulin with a fasting c-peptide. This was almost 3 months into a very low carb diet which begs the question, what kind of crazy level was it at before the diet? I will have another c-peptide done in a few weeks at the 6 month point and I am hoping it has lowered but this has made it very difficult to lose any weight and to control my sugars. Also my liver apparently likes to party hard if I go very long without eating. If I eat regularly my sugars will mostly stay in the 5's and 6's, If I don't eat they will go up to 8 or 9. I eat less than 20 grams carb per day. I find it criminal that insulin or insulin raising drugs are handed out like candy without testing insulin levels.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will add that personally I was measured at twice the highest normal level of insulin with a fasting c-peptide. This was almost 3 months into a very low carb diet which begs the question, what kind of crazy level was it at before the diet? I will have another c-peptide done in a few weeks at the 6 month point and I am hoping it has lowered but this has made it very difficult to lose any weight and to control my sugars. Also my liver apparently likes to party hard if I go very long without eating. If I eat regularly my sugars will mostly stay in the 5's and 6's, If I don't eat they will go up to 8 or 9. I eat less than 20 grams carb per day. I find it criminal that insulin or insulin raising drugs are handed out like candy without testing insulin levels.

Because, as you say, your liver likes to party, a lot of diabetics can't fast or find it very difficult to go without food for a length of time.
It is usually advisable to eat smaller and more often to maintain lower glucose levels.
Always low carb of course and smaller meals.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Because, as you say, your liver likes to party, a lot of diabetics can't fast or find it very difficult to go without food for a length of time.
It is usually advisable to eat smaller and more often to maintain lower glucose levels.
Always low carb of course and smaller meals.
The problem with many small meals is that each one, even low carb, will trigger an insulin release. I am finding it hard to find a balance and I am very curious to see what my c-peptide will be. I also had a brush with lactic acidosis and severe dehydration from a brand change to my metformin. Hours in the hospital on IV and very scary. I have been switched to ER and the problem is gone but I have no idea if damage was done. Sodium levels went very low.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The problem with many small meals is that each one, even low carb, will trigger an insulin release. I am finding it hard to find a balance and I am very curious to see what my c-peptide will be. I also had a brush with lactic acidosis and severe dehydration from a brand change to my metformin. Hours in the hospital on IV and very scary. I have been switched to ER and the problem is gone but I have no idea if damage was done. Sodium levels went very low.
Perhaps, I may have should have said small snacks rather than meals. Or just a bite.
It should be part of your journey to discover what works for you.
Too much insulin is dangerous, so the lower the carb the better.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Did you get a list of the added ingredients in that particular metformin formulation? A pharmacist can look it up for you. I, too usually take extended release everything.

Due to too many reactions, for example, I am charted for no artificial colors, and nothing whatsoever from the TEVA company.
No I did not but the offender has been red flagged on my file at the pharmacy. The extended release is not causing me any problems at all so I am happy to just leave it at that. The med records and the red flag are available to hospitals and such as well.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am an advanced diabetic educator dedicated in finding solutions as to why diabetic patients fail to follow their diets and exercise regimens. I do recognize socioeconomic status, level of obtained education and depression as reasons that compliance has not been achieve, but measures are being taken to address each of these obstacles.

I know I'm joining this thread late in the day and I admit to not ploughing through all 13 pages of replies but I have to say I find the questionnaire deeply flawed. The reason I went off the rails from time to time while I was mis-diagnosed as T2 was nothing to do with any of the reasons listed. It was one simple factor: TEMPTATION. My achilles heel is hot buttered toast.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why do diabetics fail to adhere to dietary regimes?
Because we're humans first and diabetics second.
How many humans adhere to all the rules?
Regimes are there to be quashed.

Reactions: chri5 and Snapsy

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably being talked down to and fed a lot of ********.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read the diet that NHS recommend, I was horrified. They are killing people, and causing others to lose limbs. I was so angry I have written to my MP, who has sent it on to DoH. I will keep you posted of any developments.
Good. I hope you get a sensible response.

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ms. Donnelly...Love your photo!

I have over 20 years experience in diabetes education, 42 years in advanced nutrition and critical care nursing. I am very happy to learn from any and every person or patient, and I realize that none of us have the key to success in treatment, however, we still can learn from one another.

You are correct that many of these diets are unhealthy. As an example, It is very unhealthy to cut carbs lower than 130 grams a day. Without knowing that carbs are essential in brain metabolism, energy and immunity, many have cut carbs down so much that they becomes depressed or physically ill. Dietary requirements are individual and should be fulfilled when creating a plan with the patient.
Now that is just arrant nonsense @datkins65! My doctor didn't say to me " don't cut your carbs below X amount" he said "Ok..that seems a good idea, I will organise a blood test to check Lipids" Are you saying that my doctor is remiss in his care?

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Oddly I've been non compliant for sometime over a year now, my GP has been happy with the results I have achieved
and is happy to support my reasons for taking my medication on a hoc basis, I'm currently in the best shap I've ever been in I've not read the whole of this thread but it smacks of Mother knows best ,when in fact the system is pitched as a one shop solution eat this, do this and if that doesn't work blame the patient it must be their fault.

Let's say 8/10 times it might be the patients fault in not taking proper care, but think of that odd couple of people who do listen and heed the advice and have problems there is no solution for them, it soon adds up to a lot of neglect on be have of the medical profession.

Triffo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Modern accepted dietary methods proposed by professionals hardly ever work for anyone let alone diabetes patients. Yes there is an epidemic coming and in part it is due to poor diet and lack of information. But there are other causes for diabetes that are getting entirely lost behind all the hype. Drug induced diabetes, inherited diabetes. As part of my reading I have come across a number of references that talk about insulin resistance as a possible cause for obesity. That in some people being overweight is not the cause of their diabetes but the end result. These people are overweight/obese as a result of their diabetes not the other way round. I will provide some references for this asap. That the high carb diet proposed by the experts of today can cause the vicious circle that causes insulin resistance which causes fat storage which causes insulin resistance which results in diabetes. This cycle can take a long time but the result is an overweight person who presents with diabetes. When one realises what diabetes really is and how serious it can become. That it's permanent for most of us because we only go to the doctor when we reach the stage where intervention is essential. Who amongst us would think of going to the doctor to request help for steadily gaining weight but not fully understanding the cause? And if we did what would the doctor say to us? This whole issue needs a rethink. The damage to the body can be extreme and needs to be treated sooner rather than later. And the hope that comes in abundance from this site, where we all get help and assistance to hold the disease at bay, needs greater recognition and support.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the poster who stated 'temptation' as the major reason. Diets demand thought and restrictions. We are constantly surrounded by food items we can't select and people who eat anything and everything. It is easy to slip and once this has happened the 'let's put my head in the sand' can quickly follow. To keep to our dietary regimes requires determination, strength and self .- discipline and sometimes we find it just too hard.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a dietary regime??o_O

I thought they were ...

more-like-guidelines-than-actual-rules.png

hornplayer

I think it has a lot to do with the "child" aspect of our personalities. We're told we can't have something and it immediately becomes the thing we want most. It doesn't help that the thing which is worst for us is also the thing that is most readily available. - it's practically impossible to pop out for lunch with friends and stay low carb. - I recently spent five days touring around the county I work for, with colleagues, eating lunch in a different pub every day. I got REALLY fed up with Caesar salad! And when lunch is catered, there is literally nothing suitable unless you want to pick the insides out of sandwiches! It makes you feel like you're being punished. Rebellion is inevitable.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
For me, boredom, depression and despite being carb intolerant, cheesed off with almost being force fed carbs carbs carbs at every available opportunity.
Even today, at a Bariatric seminar I was given a diet sheet to lose weight for a Diabetic advising to "keep my starchy carb intake up" 7-8 portions a day.
That is, according to their info equiv to 8 weetabix per day, OR, 8 med slices of bread a day, OR 16 egg sized spuds per day, etc etc.
also at LEAST 3 portions of fruit a day, including bananas, pref at same time as main meals with all those carbs.
God knows what my meter would be saying.