Dominating my conversations!!!

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm almost 2 months into this new life of diabetes, and It seems to be dominating my life.
As I have to be conscious of what I eat and drink and testing and new foods and everything, it's constantly on my mind and in my head and I'm in fear that it's all I talk about to mates and colleagues !!?? Does anyone else get sudden consciousness that your boring the person you're talking to and just shut up because you have nothing else to say ???
I hope it's not just me

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not just you, @Terryrhino - 30 years in (type 1) and I'm the same...

We're still superheroes, though.

:):):)

Phew I honestly felt a bit insane writing that I think It might be because I spend a lot of time alone both at work and at home so I just blurt stuff out to the first person I see lol

I need a girlfriend I think haha are there and diabetic dating sites ???

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am diabetic since the last year but I can confirm that is the same exactly for me.
About boring other people, I remember when I was a computer enthusiast and liked to talk to everyone about all the nice things you could do with a Sinclair QL. Then I have understood that most people aren't simply not interested on what you are or what you do.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. My friends are happy to tell me when I am boring. One of them lowers his head to his chest and makes zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noises. He is also the one who told me to get another hobby.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's when your mates start calling you type2terry, that's the cue to shut up :D

It will consume a large part of your being for a while until you settle down into the new way of living and you're more at ease with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salvia

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'm almost 2 months into this new life of diabetes, and It seems to be dominating my life.

It's because it's early days, with so much to take in it's understandable diabetes dominates your thoughts.

I'm in fear that it's all I talk about to mates and colleagues !!??

If they are good friends and work colleagues I'm sure they won't mind :) I'm quite the opposite, never ever speak about my diabetes to family and friends, don't know why but I don't.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Terryrhino I was like that for the first 4-5 months after diagnosis, but once I came to terms with it and my bs levels fell it became less of an obsession.
Now I only talk about it if diet or medical conditions come up in conversation.

Reactions: noblehead

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's a big part of our lives - the things I talk about most are inevitably the things that are most significant for me - my husband, my work, exercise, cooking and diabetes. And actually not in that order.

But the things that make us who we are are the things that make us who we are! For better or for worse, the dominance of my diabetes over the rest of my life means that that is one of the things I can (often) be heard talking about. We've all got stuff we talk about. My dad talks about the garden and his breadmaking habit. My husband talks a lot about his work and early 80s music. I talk a lot about my diabetes and the many and varied ways one can cook a kilo of frozen cauliflower (in fact I consider myself an authority on the latter...). ;)

And that's pretty okay, I'd say.

:):):)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I have to be conscious of what I eat and drink and testing and new foods and everything, it's constantly on my mind and in my head and I'm in fear that it's all I talk about to mates and colleagues !!?? Does anyone else get sudden consciousness that your boring the person you're talking to and just shut up because you have nothing else to say ???
I hope it's not just me

It´s not just you , I have been there the last 4.5 month now, now even I am getting a bit tired of it, which I think is a good sign, but this period has been a massive education to me... very intense, I would never have guessed that there was so much to learn of diabetes, and not either that it was such a challenging disease, and with that many adding conditions and actually among some of the more servere cronically diseases..

Last edited:

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It´s not just you , I have been there tha last 4.5 month now, now én I am getting a bit tired of it, which i think is a good sign, but this period has been a massive education to me... very intense, I would never have guessed that there was so much to learn of diabetes, and not either that it was such a challenging disease, and with that many adding conditions and actually among some of the more servere cronically diseases..

Tons to learn and understand but I do try and stay as positive as I personally can.
I would be completely lost and still eating bad things if it wasn't for all the help and nice people in this forum

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes This is a very generous place to be a pupil and I think it pays in the long run to be a bit fanatic and as focused as one has the strength to stay

Last edited:

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to be bussed from my infant school to one that had a kitchen for our school dinner. Now I know what that smell was that hit you when you went through the front door. I wasn't cabbage at all I now realise.

I remember that smell!! Wow

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
lol...........no its not just you but you know that by now. Whilst I am in no doubt that I do bore people with all that is type 2. At least 4 of my workmates have experimented with ketosis and several friends have adopted a permanent low carb diet. Spread the word and keep the faith.

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
@Terryrhino I feel the same.. I was only diagnosed on 14th Nov.. don't know if I'm type 1 or 2 yet but am being treated as type 1 until my blood test results come back. It's a bit of a rollercoaster emotionally and physically. I feel like it's all I think about and have to try not to talk to friends too much about it. These forums are great for showing us that we aren't alone in being diabetic and there's a listening ear or some advice if you need it.