Christmas Day Main Meal

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I am now planning a Christmas Day for one - due to family having to work I have found out I am on my own for Christmas Day, I am not overly worried by it but just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for a main meal for the day?
It is only the one day but I would like to have a special type of meal.
Thank you for any suggestions

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When that happens to me I have a curry, as much wine as I can hold and pass out. It's a special day in the sense that no-one is going to rush round to see if your are alright and fuss so you might as well enjoy it. Boxing day is also bleak but then the world gets back to normal.

Reactions: Salvia

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Avocado and prawn salad starter.
Fillet steak, onions, mushrooms, green veg to your liking and, as it's Christmas, throw in a wee potato or two.
Dessert - hmmm, fruit salad and brandy cream?

Or you could get a small turkey roll. Mix pork sausage meat, garlic and chopped onion together and surround the turkey with this. Thin slices of lemon over the turkey adds extra flavour. You'd have leftovers which you could freeze or just save in fridge for later.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
smoked salmon and salad or prawns if you like them.

chicken breast stuffed with a mix of black pudding ( or the insides of a good herby sausage), chopped mushrooms and a bit of grated apple and baked, served with whisky sauce (remains of the chopped mushrooms, finely sliced onion caramelised together then add some cream and finish with a bit of whisky), add veg of choice.

cheese and a glass of red, or, an unctuous choca-mocha cream pud with a bit more whisky stirred in.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheese on toast. For an extra treat cut off the crusts and have them later with a cup of tea.:wacky::wacky::wacky:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've raided waitrose and tried different things. When you only have yourself to please, the worlds your oyster! Far cheaper when its for one, so indulge. My advice don't stick to turkey. Enjoy!

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
smoked salmon and salad or prawns if you like them.

chicken breast stuffed with a mix of black pudding ( or the insides of a good herby sausage), chopped mushrooms and a bit of grated apple and baked, served with whisky sauce (remains of the chopped mushrooms, finely sliced onion caramelised together then add some cream and finish with a bit of whisky), add veg of choice.

cheese and a glass of red, or, an unctuous choca-mocha cream pud with a bit more whisky stirred in.
sounds great, but could I just have the black pudding and whisky please:angelic:

K

Kat100

Ooooo
I would spoil myself to some nice ready made meals , treats etc . Only the best I can get ..care of marks or Waitrose or wherever .
I would get lovely flowers and a nice scented candle ..
A day just to relax .. and enjoy ..

Nice walk to
Good tv , pj's and a blanket ...
And yes , i would buy myself a few gifts to enjoy ....
It's only a day though .. after Boxing Day , which would be a repeat of Christmas Day ..
I would be heading to the sales .. ;)

Reactions: noblehead

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi I would go with what Kat says.
M and S meal deal,and you dont have to cook.

Reactions: Sauron

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would do the same as Kat100. Simple but deliciously decadent ;) (it's only once a year, after all)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm working Christmas day and boxing day!

My idea of a one person meal is a fry up of gammon, eggs, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes. David great start to any day!

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Lots of food, lots of alcohol and just have fun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Before Mr B and I got together, I had alternate Xmases with my parents, and alternate Xmases by myself. For about 10 years.

I enjoyed the family ones, but there was something very very special about the solo ones.

Loved it.

I would buy a duck, roast it, serve it with LC onion sauce, LC leeks in cheese sauce, LC gravy, green beans and (my major sin of the day) some honey roast parsnips. Oh, and LC blackcurrant jam all over the duck.

Bliss.

Half the duck on Xmas Day, the other half on Boxing Day.

That was all I ate all day.

One year I spent the 2 days tiling the bathroom. I still remember that Xmas with delight and a lot of pride, because those tiles looked GOOD. Other years I made curtains, or did my Tax Return.

:D

Part of the trick to enjoying a solo Xmas is avoiding all that Seasonal TV jollity. All it does is remind you every second about pink fluffy family togetherness and how patronisingly kind people are to invite the Vicar of Dibley round and force feed her.
Shudder.
Every year people would gasp in horror at the thought I was alone (you have to imagine their tones of ghastly terror), and invite me round to watch them argue. - And I would have to come up with some firm explanation as to why I WANTED to have a peaceful time. By myself.

A good book, a good meal, and a task to absorb the mind. Perfect.

Reactions: Serena51